"Helper/Tender" Spring points value.

KoneKillah

I plan on running 2.5" springs on OE dampers at 5 pts per corner. the springs will most likely become loose at full droop. I would like to run a set of "helper" or "tender" springs underneath each to keep the springs seated in the top hat while under full droop. In your opinion, what should be the points value here per corner? AFAIK the thing that differentiates a "coil over" from this setup  is the threaded collars that allow ride height/corner balance adjustments.

I have a tech ticket submitted for this very question but it has been a few weeks with no answer. Before I get that answer I would like to get a consensus from y'all first.

A tender spring should not incur points IMO. when put down they compress 100% and only used to keep a spring in place when the suspension droops. Another option is to limit your suspension travel with cable or small chain to keep the spring in place.

NOW dont be jamming 3 "Tender" Springs in there to change ride height. 

• Like 2

Hmm.  This is applicable to me.

We go by the 10 pts for coilovers and run helper springs.

In other words, I have spring adjusters, race springs (2.5 inch springs) and the helper springs for 10 pts / corner.

I could see the argument either way.  

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 2

Tender spring vs helper spring is two separate springs.

I have them mixed up according to eibach:

A helper spring is used to keep the main spring tight between the perches when the suspension is at full droop. ... A tender spring has a rate in the region of 150 lbs/in to 300 lbs/in (looking at the Eibach ERS catalogue). A tender spring is meant to be used in conjunction with a much stiffer linear rate main spring.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Tender spring vs helper spring is two separate springs.

I have them mixed up according to eibach:

A helper spring is used to keep the main spring tight between the perches when the suspension is at full droop. ... A tender spring has a rate in the region of 150 lbs/in to 300 lbs/in (looking at the Eibach ERS catalogue). A tender spring is meant to be used in conjunction with a much stiffer linear rate main spring.

By this definition I want to use a HELPER spring. I do not intend to run a "Tender" spring for a non-linear spring rate, I just want to make sure the springs stay seated in the perches (top hat). I was under the wrongful assumption that helper=tender. Thank you for clearing this up!

4 hours ago, shanehutton said:

You can run steel cable or chain as a droop limiter to keep the spring in place.

That's true.  Or nylon webbing.

However, limiting droop can have a negative impact on suspension as well depending on how smooth the track is and how soft the car is sprung.  

I like my droop!  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That's true.  Or nylon webbing.

However, limiting droop can have a negative impact on suspension as well depending on how smooth the track is and how soft the car is sprung.  

I like my droop!  

If your car is significantly stiffer than factory, you don't have a need for full factory suspension travel/droop. If you've ever watched professional sportscar racecars go up on their air jacks you can see what i'm talking about in how little droop they have. (not saying droop is not important..)

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

If your car is significantly stiffer than factory, you don't have a need for full factory suspension travel/droop. If you've ever watched professional sportscar racecars go up on their air jacks you can see what i'm talking about in how little droop they have. (not saying droop is not important..)

True dat.  Rc cars (even some of the off-road cars) have droop limiting screws.

It can be used to tune suspension, but I like travel and droop!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not looking good for 0pts, hit the help desk.

I just figured that moving the clip has the same effect as adding and removing helper springs / using helper springs of different stack heights.  Effectively, it is a spacer more than a fine adjustment for corner balancing etc.  

17 hours ago, shanehutton said:

I just figured that moving the clip has the same effect as adding and removing helper springs / using helper springs of different stack heights.  Effectively, it is a spacer more than a fine adjustment for corner balancing etc.  

I didn't think about adding more springs to adjust ride height.  Another 5 points saved per corner.  I wonder how far we can stretch the definition of a spring.... Or better yet different height spring sliders between the tender and the coil.