EC cars:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5720536

Sunday:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5722332

EC cars:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5722333

Edited by FlorahDorah
Added Sunday's results

Good racing and thanks to all that came out.

Was a long day for us (Orange Yeller).  Bit of a heart breaker at the end.

We were running well in P2 on Saturday, gaining fast enough to close out P1 on the 944 -- they had a great strategy with their monster fuel capacity allowing them to skip a fuel stop, leaving us playing catch up -- we were gaining a few seconds a lap with a ~1 minute gap going into the last driver change.  First, the minor disaster struck as our 4th driver had... neglected to put on their wristband.  Some choice words were exchanged and we sprinted back to the garages, found his wrist band, then hauled ass all the way back down to the far end of pit row where he was being held at exit; we lost about 4-5 minutes/2 laps putting us down to P5/P6.  With about 30-40 left in the race we'd caught back up to ~1:30 of P1 (there wasn't time to close that gap, but we were hoping for P2/P3) when the major disaster struck and our engine lost all compression.

Fortunately, we're local and had enough of a core back at our shop to try and effect a repair.  We were all keen to go racing again on Sunday, so we towed the two hours back home and started burning the midnight oil taking everything apart and getting it back together.  As we open up the block we find out it's the same cylinder 3 that went when we were leading at Laguna ~2 months ago.  It's gone too lean and burned the piston out.  It's the same short block as laguna so we suspect either the injector harness or oil starvation.  With the piston roasted we have to swap to the short block of our core anyway which will fix at least one of those.  A few hours later, we get everything back together, but it's not running well.  We've got about 3.5 cylinders and the ECU is reporting misfires on cylinder 3.  We've swapped everything at this point, except the injector harness.  Our theory is something is garbage in the cable and it eventually vibrates itself into badness since it was ~fine at both the Sonoma and Laguna events (until it wasn't).   At this point (~4am), with two confirmed kills under this harnesses' belt and no spare to replace it we have to call it.  New harness is already ordered, hopefully this is the end of that because we're pretty tired of swapping engines.  Fortunately, Miata motors are cheap :).

Congratulations to everyone, particularly those on the podium!

• Like 2

Pomona Speed Shop report. We broke early and watched from the cheap seats. It was still a fun weekend, always is with these 3 guys whether it is out here for one of their desert races or a Champcar race you know it’s going to be a good time. At least I get to drive if it’s on asphalt. 

Congrats to the RVA guys, that race proved once again you can never give up. You have to feel bad for Ron and his guys, oh so close. 

Safe travels everyone, see you at the next race. 

• Like 3

Just watched the last 2 hours Sunday.  Absolutely gutted for VRG.  They played all the right cards only to have a freak failure take them out like that.  Talk about heart break.  I can't imagine sitting in that dead car waiting for recovery watching it all slip through your fingers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Hurljohn said:

Is it to soon to say East Coast Rules!!?  East > West?

Was the entire race damp?  Nobody even got close to Doorslammer's 1:48.5 a couple of years ago.

It has always been known that the eastern rule set has been much looser than the western rule set.  It is much easier to win when one group has rules to follow while the other group doesn't have any rules.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Was the entire race damp?  Nobody even got close to Doorslammer's 1:48.5 a couple of years ago.

It has always been known that the eastern rule set has been much looser than the western rule set.  It is much easier to win when one group has rules to follow while the other group doesn't have any rules.

You keep telling yourself that's what it is.

I have raced champcar since 2009 all over the country.  There are certainly places and specific races that have more and less competitive teams.

The East coast and Midwest travel quite extensively while only a few teams from the west seem to travel.  

The reason I bring that up is because racing against more and different teams brings the pointy end to a sharper point.  When there are only 30 or 40 cars in a race on a regular basis, all of those teams will end up plateauing.

Do I agree with that different race directors and tech people assigned different values to parts from race to race?  Yep!  Did it happen even within regions?  Yep!  

You make it sound like the west coast got screwed and the east had none of these issues....  that's just not true.

P.s. anybody know if there was a dyno after the race?  What were the numbers?  Anything interesting like 2 years ago?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

You weren't there? A prime opportunity to see how things are currently being run, tech is tight everywhere now, the issues you have had in the past are just that, in the past.

Come !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Hey Bill, can you put a link up on the Champcar website for the east and west rules? I always thought there was just one set, who knew?

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

You weren't there? A prime opportunity to see how things are currently being run, tech is tight everywhere now, the issues you have had in the past are just that, in the past.

Come !

Different than in the past as in... last month and things are different now?  Again?  I have been hearing that line for many years, too many years.

Eastern Miata asks tech last year how much for an aluminum flywheel?  Answer: those are free.

Western Mustang asks tech last month how much for an aluminum flywheel?  Answer: those are not allowed.

I just stopped in hoping the Doorslammers had shown up, sadly they didn't and nor did SoA, Griggs, Arsenic.  Looks like Flyin Hawaiian's and Bandits both had a less than optimal race.

• Technical Advisory Committee
27 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Different than in the past as in... last month and things are different now?  Again?  I have been hearing that line for many years, too many years.

Eastern Miata asks tech last year how much for an aluminum flywheel?  Answer: those are free.

Western Mustang asks tech last month how much for an aluminum flywheel?  Answer: those are not allowed.

I just stopped in hoping the Doorslammers had shown up, sadly they didn't and nor did SoA, Griggs, Arsenic.  Looks like Flyin Hawaiian's and Bandits both had a less than optimal race.

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=62

Q.

How many points to run a lightened flywheel? How many point to run a multi-disk clutch?

There is also a case where a single mass conversion kits for cars that originally had an expensive and unreliable dual-mass flywheel. The kit is often cheaper than the original OEM dual mass. Also, would it be 0pts to use a lighter single mass flywheel if it was required for an engine swap and fit in the $2500 swap money?

A.
You can switch from a dual-mass flywheel to a single mass flywheel for zero points if the flywheel is steel.

Aluminum flywheels are 10 points. 

The clutch needs to remain OEM diameter and the same number of clutch packs as delivered from the factory.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strange I don't see anything about what coast you are from or what car type........I must be missing something. 

Edited by red0
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Different as in right now, digital tech sheets kicked off the first race of this year, rd atl was painfully slow because of it, but everything/everyone was meticulously vetted in exactly the same manor, there is no room or line for favorites, or favors.  I do see your point though.

Again, its time to put your toes back in the pool to test the waters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ron_e said:

No it was cool in the morning, then warmed up. High 30s/low 40s at night; 60s during the day. Cloudy, then sunny. 

Doorslammers have moved on. One of their regular drivers raced with Uncommon Friends; Christian from Arsenic raced with Wilwood as their car is not ready. 

Things do change. 

Edited by FlorahDorah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Different as in right now, digital tech sheets kicked off the first race of this year, rd atl was painfully slow because of it, but everything/everyone was meticulously vetted in exactly the same manor, there is no room or line for favorites, or favors.  I do see your point though.

Again, its time to put your toes back in the pool to test the waters.

That's interesting. We tech'd at Sebring in December and @Snake had a hangup in Registration at Road Atlanta as they told him they didn't have a digital tech sheet on file for us (either of our cars). He was told that they would have the same issue with everybody who tech'd at Sebring, so not sure how they resolved it. 

Hopefully it was addressed for all of those cars. There was no impound at Road Atlanta, so it didn't even get brought up again. 

3 hours ago, red0 said:

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=62

Strange I don't see anything about what coast you are from or what car type........I must be missing something. 

It is strange and you are missing something.  I will let you in on a little secret, Bill doesn't publish any of the answers I get on the techdesk so don't look there for any of my valuations.  Jay did later change to 10 points for the flywheel or whatever it is now but the message was received loud and clear.

Anyway, peace out hope everyone had a good race.  Sad to hear both of those teams have moved on.

Date: 2020-01-09 23:23:32
Name: Ron Ens
Email:  

I have had rulings in the past on the following with some of them on my car and I want to be sure everyone is taking the same points. How many points are the following items?

1 Swap from an engine OE mechanical clutch fan to electric?
2 Poly steering rack bushing?
3 Aluminum steering rack bushings?
4 Swapping out a steering rubber rag joint to a steel U-joint?
5 Aluminum flywheel?
6 My car has drum brakes, how do I 2X to caliper and rotor? Is it backing plate, piston, springs, drum then 2X to caliper and bracket? What if the backing plate is no longer available and I can’t get a price on the backing plate?
7 Is a short shifter points?
8 Is a bump steer kit points or is it just points for the two spherical rod ends?
9 Is converting from four lug rear axles to five lug axles considered points?
10 Is a heater core repurposed to a fluid cooler points?

I am converting from old brake bearing in rotor with cone bearings on a spindle to modern spindle/hub/rotor hat. I am taking 10 points per spindle, will there be additional points for the hub that is needed to make the new spindle work? The old rotor was essentially the hub.

Date: 2020-01-10 14:12:47
Name: Ron Ens

This was all asked for an 87-93 Ford Mustang but would apply to any car.

Date: 2020-01-10 22:45:46
Name: Jay Mauney

#1 -0
#2 -0
#3 - materials
#4 - 0
#5 - not allowed
#6 - need more info, was a car in your platform avalible with disks ? if so use that .
#7 - no
#8 - need more info, 10 point each stearing component or points for heims
#9 - no , drilling = free
#10- no , but you must have documentation and pictures of the where the repurposed materials came from and how you installed the materials if you wish to use the materials for no point add .
#11 10 points per spindle , 2.5 per hub , hat added to rotor cost within 2X no points more than 2X added points.

What is the point of this last post?  I agree with everything there with the exception of the aluminum flywheel.

The flywheel was brought to the tac and discussed after this email.  New info was discussed and the ruling on the tech page is the rules.

He'll, it was probably your email AND the miata person's email that exactly pointed out this discrepancy and fixed it.

Good job!  Now aluminum flywheel aren't free, but are allowed for points.

Sure as shoot seems like the system is doing exactly what you want.

If it's not doing what you want, then tell us what you want and how you propose to fix it.  Botching on the forum only works for BMW teams. 

• Like 6