Fuel cell bulk head

Steve Peterson

17 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

Seems like over kill but rules are rules 

This is the first series that I am going to race with the requires an enclosure for a FIA tank 

Pictures please 

WRL also requires safety box redundancy.  We were asked to add a secondary cover to our SFI cell last year.  I did, then promptly wrote the whole car off, so no pictures.

22 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

Seems like over kill but rules are rules 

This is the first series that I am going to race with the requires an enclosure for a FIA tank 

Pictures please 

Think of it not as an enclosure for the FIA tank, but an enclosure for all your fuel-carrying fittings and lines and tubes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Peterson said:

Anyone have pictures of there gas tank area completely covered like rules state 

We changed the vent but what we raced with last yr is another series 

B8A28403-CF37-48C8-AD97-1280B5B369C0.thumb.jpeg.15d98cc6a96c4ac1ec647d58720ef94a.jpegFia tanks still have to be covered?

Is that a dry break?  If so, that is a no no in champcar also.

If you have a trunk, that covers the top and back for enclosure.  Just make sure fuel can't get out the internal panels along the sides or front of your trunk area towards the driver.

Let me put it another way...  make sure that if a fuel line breaks near your fuel cell that the fuel can't exit the trunk area.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Did they rule that flexible tubing legal? I know there was lots of discussion on that but can't remember the outcome.

I seem to remember @Snorman saying they had to remove that sort of thing?

It was the flex conduit that people were using to cover fuel lines. 

Recently, there was some discussion that there is a "different" kind of flex conduit that is apparently watertight, but I'm not familiar with it. 

Not sure what that is in the Cadillac. Maybe it's covering an inner reinforced silicone fuel hose so it's okay? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I like this stuff has a real rating NFPA 90A and 90B for Class C fire hazard classifications, UL Listed

So what we *can't* use is this sort of thing?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/1c/1cede02f-4dcc-429b-98c7-f0be339b23d0.pdf

What's the differentiating factor? My head hurts.

Edit: sorry to derail the thread. I am submitting a tech desk ticket on this question.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

1 hour ago, Steve Peterson said:

So how do you know when the tank is full 

You don't, They changed the rules  I have run a clear reinforced filler hose for years was much safer on fueling to know when to stop. Now they want it to slash back at you !! Can you say FIRE starter!!  

My old install below  the new one for Champ is a medal filler and a metal hard 1/2 vent tube that runs higher then the filler then down below the filler so one pan can be used. When it starts to spit back at you when filling its at the top of the cell.

et4hcK8.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Peterson said:

So how do you know when the tank is full 

That was a problem we had last year at our first race.  This year we have a discriminator vent that will prevent fuel from coming back up the vent and we also have a roll over vent that will allow fuel to come out when the car is upright.  During fueling we have a 2.5 gallon jug connected to this vent with a dry break connection.  When the tank is full, fuel comes out of the overflow and goes into the 2.5 gallon jug. We release the dry break connection, no fuel on the ground (this is all in theory).  We are using the same set up that another Champcar team is using, and they seem to have great success with it last year.   

1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

That was a problem we had last year at our first race.  This year we have a discriminator vent that will prevent fuel from coming back up the vent and we also have a roll over vent that will allow fuel to come out when the car is upright.  During fueling we have a 2.5 gallon jug connected to this vent with a dry break connection.  When the tank is full, fuel comes out of the overflow and goes into the 2.5 gallon jug. We release the dry break connection, no fuel on the ground (this is all in theory).  We are using the same set up that another Champcar team is using, and they seem to have great success with it last year.   

While I know most racers are not looking to spend a grand on a fueling setup (me among them), I think this ^^ is the right way to go.