Every time there is one of "those" crashes, it gets you to thinking...

I probably will not race another car without a containment seat, and a very good one at that. 

If that was even one generation older of chassis build or seat technology, no way Newman would have even had a chance to survive. 

Unreal. 

• Like 2

The crash also shows the issues that happen when you don't have enough bumper strength requirements for a high speed series...Something we are battling with when thinking about bumper rules. 

A lack of proper structure in the nose makes it hard to spread the impact over enough chassis members without deflecting. A real problem in current nascar builds. Car acts more like an axe than a hammer....

Its a miracle he's alive, modern safety or not.  Definitely one of the worst I've seen in a very long time and nearly a worst case scenario.  The entire chassis taco's when LaJoie hits him in the driver's window showing just how violent that hit was.  Praying he recovers. 🙏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

P.S. the stage thing has got to go, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. All it does it bunch the cars all back up again and leads to more wrecks. 

but that's what the fans in the Colosseum showed up for.

Edited by theblue
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

Did you see the amount of fuel that was leaking out of the car.  I'm so glad it didn't go up in flames.  

I saw that. Then I wondered...it's at the end of the race.... should there be that much fuel left? Could it be water/coolant from the radiator? 

1 hour ago, FlorahDorah said:

I saw that. Then I wondered...it's at the end of the race.... should there be that much fuel left? Could it be water/coolant from the radiator? 

That's what I was wondering when it didn't ignite. Getting hit on the driver's side while hanging upside down in the car has to be the worst case

scenario. 

Holy crap, bad week to be him.  I had NO idea that they just announced they were gonna be separated on Friday.  Then while leading the Daytona 500 he almost dies...

P.s. how was that a legal move to literally just drive through the person in front of you?

31 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

P.s. how was that a legal move to literally just drive through the person in front of you?

"This is the way" 

Nascar has been doing that as loooong as I can remember. Not a huge fan of the dump and run, but it's something the drivers do. They generally police themselves out there on when and where, but it's been an accepted thing. From the short tracks to the plate tracks.

4 hours ago, chbright said:

"This is the way" 

Nascar has been doing that as loooong as I can remember. Not a huge fan of the dump and run, but it's something the drivers do. They generally police themselves out there on when and where, but it's been an accepted thing. From the short tracks to the plate tracks.

Actually in the Busch league a.k.a. the Infinity series there is no bump drafting allowed...and at super speedways that's how it should be.