Jump to content
Chummy

miatas material points for hard tops?

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Ian we look at a different car?  The VT college Subaru it’s for sale in the classifieds. @VT Grand Touring 19-20 

The metal should be points or repurposed…

 

 

 

i think thats wood?  i would assume they had to pay points for all of it.  But lets be honest, do people really care about under performing cars?  I know for a fact there is a few full on cheaty BMWs with wrong engines in the cars but they never break into the top 15 so its not even worth the discussion.

 

unfortunately for PB and everyone else at the pointy end of the stick is you get the most scrutiny 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theman631 said:

I did want to point out that you can always come at us on our build post (link below)  This poor guy just had a quick question about a miata top and we are now discussing the engine we have in ours lol:

 

 

I'm trying to move the good-stuff to https://ruggedbadger.com/the-car-build/

 

SEO and what not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, theman631 said:

I did want to point out that you can always come at us on our build post (link below)  This poor guy just had a quick question about a miata top and we are now discussing the engine we have in ours lol:

 

 

I'm not sure how we got to the engine here either. I'm just curious where the window ruling is in the knowledge base because I'm not finding it. I'm not saying it didn't happen, there are many interpretations I question, but I want to see the wording. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

I'm not sure how we got to the engine here either. I'm just curious where the window ruling is in the knowledge base because I'm not finding it. I'm not saying it didn't happen, there are many interpretations I question, but I want to see the wording. 

 

I think there have been a fair few tech desk tickets submitted in the last 24 hours regarding that question and others.  Lets be patient and let Tech/TAC make a well thought out decision.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SonsOfIrony said:

 

I think there have been a fair few tech desk tickets submitted in the last 24 hours regarding that question and others.  Lets be patient and let Tech/TAC make a well thought out decision.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and submit tickets now, this was stated on the first page as having already been decided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and submit tickets now, this was stated on the first page as having already been decided.

 

I was under the understanding that all previous decisions need to be confirmed via the tech desk.  If its not in the knowledge base, then its not an official ruling.  And Ive looked, its not in the knowledge base.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

I was under the understanding that all previous decisions need to be confirmed via the tech desk.  If its not in the knowledge base, then its not an official ruling.  And Ive looked, its not in the knowledge base.

 

I've received multiple rulings that aren't yet posted.  Perhaps @Bill Strong has been busy with actual racing and doesn't have the final wording sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grufton said:

 

I've received multiple rulings that aren't yet posted.  Perhaps @Bill Strong has been busy with actual racing and doesn't have the final wording sorted.

Bill strong doesn't race.  He shows up to races and talks about how awesome Toyota's are.  😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Bill strong doesn't race.  He shows up to races and talks about how awesome Toyota's, Opels are.  😁

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do appreciate that the PartsBadger team is willing to share their data.  They had a rough start with some contact but it's pretty clear that they are quick enough to be at the pointy end of the field and consistently push the limits of the rules like any of the top teams do, but what some teams try hard to keep under wraps PartsBadger seems willing to put in print for the benefit of any team willing to put the work in to match them.  It might not be ALL of their secrets but there's enough reading through what they post for a mid pack team to step up several places if they put the time in to match what has been developed and shared.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed!

 

Isn't parts badger miata the car that you casually walked over to at road America and helped get their alternator working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Wanna see a cool Miata (yes one exists) 4.9 caddie powered with a Dakota trans. 

 

Class-C-1.jpg

 

I read the 4.9 Caddy is hands down the most reliable American V8 in Lemons.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Agreed!

 

Isn't parts badger miata the car that you casually walked over to at road America and helped get their alternator working?

It is, yes, while we were waiting for the bushings to finish burning out of Tyler's subframe.  Pretty cool to see them get to where they are at in such short order.  For anyone else, on the Mazda alternators you can run a jumper from the B+ to the S terminal for it to charge when it's 10pm and you want to race the next day after fighting charging issues for an entire race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

You see the tail lights all the time don’t you?   ;)

never raced against him. followed the build. they have the car sorted out for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and submit tickets now, this was stated on the first page as having already been decided.

The Boxster free adjustable control arms and free race springs was also already "decided" doesn't mean it met the rules as written and was eventually corrected. Approved by tech seemingly almost rarely means actually legal in the rule book.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, morganf said:

The Boxster free adjustable control arms and free race springs was also already "decided" doesn't mean it met the rules as written and was eventually corrected. Approved by tech seemingly almost rarely means actually legal in the rule book.

I think you are missing my point, I believe that PartsBadger has already submitted this to the tech desk and they were given approval, but due to the backlog we are waiting for it to appear in the knowledge base.  If that's incorrect, and this was a backroom deal like the Boxster parts then it needs to be resubmitted for the tech desk to review and grant approval so it can be added.  Since this is really the only car we are talking about I don't think it's anyone else's responsibility to spam the tech desk with tickets.  Assuming it has passed review of the TAC and Tech it sure sounds like this is working for them, and it should probably at least be a consideration for any other Miata team looking to improve aero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

Since this is really the only car we are talking about I don't think it's anyone else's responsibility to spam the tech desk with tickets.  Assuming it has passed review of the TAC and Tech it sure sounds like this is working for them, and it should probably at least be a consideration for any other Miata team looking to improve aero. 

 

This isn't the only car we are talking about, we are talking about all cars.  If a Miata can repurpose Lexan to create an aero device, can I also repurpose Lexan to be an aero device on my non Miata?  If they can do it, so can I.  Allowances like these are a very very slippery slope.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

This isn't the only car we are talking about, we are talking about all cars.  If a Miata can repurpose Lexan to create an aero device, can I also repurpose Lexan to be an aero device on my non Miata?  If they can do it, so can I.  Allowances like these are a very very slippery slope.

100% agree, but we know what was done here and tested on the Miata so those teams wouldn't need to go through that process on their own.  I am trusting the new TAC/Tech/KB process to stop these one-off backroom deals from being the norm, and that what is good for one car and approved being available for everyone in a document that we can search and utilize.  This really can go two ways, it's either approved and we start seeing lexan windows becoming other parts, or it's not and teams that are found to be out of compliance to the rules correct their issues/face protest.  I just want to give that process a chance to happen on the CCES side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

This isn't the only car we are talking about, we are talking about all cars.  If a Miata can repurpose Lexan to create an aero device, can I also repurpose Lexan to be an aero device on my non Miata?  If they can do it, so can I.  Allowances like these are a very very slippery slope.

"aero device"?  Really?   We aren't talking about re-purposing it as a spoiler or splitter.  Its a rear window that had the rear pitch moved up a few inches in nearly the exact position as if I took the OEM hardtop and lifted the back 4".    The rear window is still the rear window, so please don't twist this into something its not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, karman1970 said:

 

I read the 4.9 Caddy is hands down the most reliable American V8 in Lemons.

I dunno... our old 305 (169+k) lasted about 6 weekends before it spun a rod bearing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

"aero device"?  Really?   We aren't talking about re-purposing it as a spoiler or splitter.  Its a rear window that had the rear pitch moved up a few inches in nearly the exact position as if I took the OEM hardtop and lifted the back 4".    The rear window is still the rear window, so please don't twist this into something its not.

 

Why is the rule about lexan windows so difficult for you to just follow?  It very clearly states what you are allowed to do.  No interpretation needed.  

 

9.3.2.5. The shape and location of the window covering must be exactly the same size, shape, and location of the OE window.

 

Your creativity in building a fastback using repurposed materials is really cool...just do it within the clearly defined rules.  You could also just take material points for the lexan and be within the rules.  Given the size of that window I can't imagine it being many points.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...