Lexan rear hatch/glass

28 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

So we are going to go with a Lexan rear glass/hatch. I understand that we have to have the steel straps. Is there anyway we can make it usable? Mean open and close the hatch. Can the Steel straps be mounted under the hinge? Gen III f-body. 

I would think if you bolted the strap to the hinge on top, and bolted them to a metal frame on the bottom that would suffice.  Not sure how much of a frame you plan to use.

5 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I would think if you bolted the strap to the hinge on top, and bolted them to a metal frame on the bottom that would suffice.  Not sure how much of a frame you plan to use.

I would bolt the strap to the deck lid and the entire thing would be held down by hood pins or dzus fasteners

16 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Top and bottom straps on our lexan rear window.  They are riveted to the steel frame that surrounds the window.  Not sure if f bodies have this option.  Bottom is taped to prevent cuts.1582157070619145603951.thumb.jpg.5ba8a782fe269b78ee8501fb0fa104c3.jpg1582157104985498620469.thumb.jpg.ad55a9d2bf1f73f41fef0aba58298966.jpg

yes but I want to OPEN ours if possible

At sebring in December tech requested nuts and bolts to mount aluminium strap to frame on my lexan rear window.  Rivets were ok for strap to lexan.  Didn't see it in rulebook but it was one of the small things I had to fix.

Just FYI you will need to put straps INSIDE the hatch as well. I'd be pretty certain that you're going to have a high pressure area at the base of the hatch that will bow in the polycarbonate at speed. Ours did it very badly until we put straps inside using angle stock. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Just FYI you will need to put straps INSIDE the hatch as well. I'd be pretty certain that you're going to have a high pressure area at the base of the hatch that will bow in the polycarbonate at speed. Ours did it very badly until we put straps inside using angle stock. 

I ran an M6 bolt through each strap at the mid point to hold them tight to the lexan to stop them rattling/buzzing.  Although the fastback design of our rear window probably didn't have much pressure on it.

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

Does your car have a spoiler?  When we had one, that would happen a bit.  With a wing, not at all.

1 hour ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I ran an M6 bolt through each strap at the mid point to hold them tight to the lexan to stop them rattling/buzzing.  Although the fastback design of our rear window probably didn't have much pressure on it.

I used some sticky Velcro between strap and lexan for the same reason.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

Is there a minimum thickness? 

For straps?  Or for lexan?

I thought it was nominal 3/16 for lexan.  Staps must be 1" wide.  Check the BCCR to be sure.  It's in there.

Edited by SonsOfIrony
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, smitham32803 said:

Our car has the design you are talking about.  we have a small steel perimeter frame that the window is bolted to then the straps on top are hinged at the roof line and then have a hood pin at the rear deck.  i would have to get some pictures so share 

please do. I'd like to ditch the factory hinges as they are HEAVY.

• Like 1