Official 2020 - 10th Annual Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at VIR

I haven't paid enough attention to the potentials with this storm, but also remember that VIR is prone to flooding from the Dan River. I would be more concerned about that with the storm already passing, but could dump enough rain.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m out 

Every member is entitled to an opinion.  They may be more competitive in other series because classing, something that we thankfully don’t focus on.    please don’t get me started on point

I'm just tickled you took the time to research me. Please Like and Subscribe to my YouTube channel. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, XelderX said:

I haven't paid enough attention to the potentials with this storm, but also remember that VIR is prone to flooding from the Dan River. I would be more concerned about that with the storm already passing, but could dump enough rain.

Good point. The storm is showing it should be out of the area by Monday night. So even if flooding does happen it should be ok by Saturday.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, Bill Strong said:

ChampCar has made a box (tape on the ground) that I am supposed to stay in at all events. It's part of the CCES Corp Covid-19 rules.
For some odd reason the box location is showing on the South Course Paddock. I sent Mike an email letting him know that we are paddocking on the North Course. His reply was that "he knew that".

I'll work this out somehow.

How long did you say the cables are for the broadcast????

2 hours ago, Doc said:

How long did you say the cables are for the broadcast????

In an attempt to be witty, I searched "muzzle for man" to insert in this string, DONT DO THAT.  I am awaiting a visit from IT and HR any minute now.

Looking forward to getting back on track this weekend!!!

• Haha 5

Can we not do the Purple 35 flag? Man that sucks. I ran several races when it was used and it's not good. There has to be a lot of awareness of the timing loops from the organizer and willingness to enforce penalties or else you get several cars doing it right and most cars doing 50-60mph and gaining an advantage. The drivers paying attention spot the flag early and slow down while all the homeslices keep racing down the entire straightaway. It penalizes the aware drivers and rewards the clueless unless the organizer starts penalizing. 

6 hours ago, XelderX said:

Can we not do the Purple 35 flag? Man that sucks. I ran several races when it was used and it's not good. There has to be a lot of awareness of the timing loops from the organizer and willingness to enforce penalties or else you get several cars doing it right and most cars doing 50-60mph and gaining an advantage. The drivers paying attention spot the flag early and slow down while all the homeslices keep racing down the entire straightaway. It penalizes the aware drivers and rewards the clueless unless the organizer starts penalizing. 

The flip side to Code 35 is a full pace car which would take longer. VIR won't do hot pulls due to them losing a tow truck at a NASA club event where a driver was going near full speed and ran into the back of the tow truck. I know its not perfect but as long as they have a max lap time known for the Code 35 it can be enforced.

8 minutes ago, gsmith2424 said:

The flip side to Code 35 is a full pace car which would take longer. VIR won't do hot pulls due to them losing a tow truck at a NASA club event where a driver was going near full speed and ran into the back of the tow truck. I know its not perfect but as long as they have a max lap time known for the Code 35 it can be enforced.

I know. I just prefer FCY with pace car. It's just better in almost every way other than time under caution. As a driver I like to reset under FCY grab a drink and have a more finite time when I know the track will go green again. Under Purple 35 I'm having to circulate for potentially several laps with my alertness all the way up staring down every corner station to go green again at any moment. The system gets cheated....usually not on purpose. It's a long race and a few extra laps behind the pace car won't be a big deal. I'm willing to concede that any advantages some teams may gain by being unaware and "running" the flag probably won't affect the outcome of the race either. It's just frustrating from a perception standpoint and I don't feel it can be policed as efficiently as passing under FCY. 

14 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

Code 35 is a VIR policy for a good reason just have to deal with it.  Has it lost a race for you ?   You can't drink while under green ?

It has affected sprint races I've been involved in. I've lost touch with cars for position that I was drafting due to it. The SCCA stopped using it at VIR after taking a driver survey. 

There is video of me on the internet somewhere running off track under FCY while trying to find the damn drink bottle hose that wandered off between the seat and the center console. Not my finest moment. 

2 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Change the rules...

Change the race track...

Change the race track's rules...

All for me. 

Or...you can understand that I run with multiple series....work for a sanctioning body...race multiple cars...and I might have a pretty decent view of things that work and things that don't. 

1 minute ago, XelderX said:

Or...you can understand that I run with multiple series....work for a sanctioning body...race multiple cars...and I might have a pretty decent view of things that work and things that don't. 

You're just the hero Champcar needs. What would the series do without you? Oh...wait...

5 minutes ago, XelderX said:

shouldn't this be in green font?

5 minutes ago, Snorman said:

You're just the hero Champcar needs. What would the series do without you? Oh...wait...

Start 33 cars at Charlotte in the most lucrative motorsports area in the country? 

4 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Start 33 cars at Charlotte in the most lucrative motorsports area in the country? 

I'm sure the current environment in the country had nothing to do with that.

Charlotte is typically only a ~60 car race. 

13 minutes ago, XelderX said:

and yet you still only turned 17 laps..  Please teach us o great one!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

and yet you still only turned 17 laps..  Please teach us o great one!

I wasn't driving. We bent a lot of suspension stuff...some we didn't have spares of

8 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I'm sure the current environment in the country had nothing to do with that.

Charlotte is typically only a ~60 car race. 

We'll see. I've been looking for the entry list for the Lucky Dog race there, but haven't seen it. 

1 hour ago, XelderX said:

Covid scrambled the schedule, Charlotte was 1 week after Daytona, a little close!   IF we knew what we know now, we would have skipped Daytona for Charlotte even though it adds 10+ hours travel. 

Daytona had over 130 cars signed up but covid brought it down to just under 100.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Covid scrambled the schedule, Charlotte was 1 week after Daytona, a little close!   IF we knew what we know now, we would have skipped Daytona for Charlotte even though it adds 10+ hours travel. 

Daytona had over 130 cars signed up but covid brought it down to just under 100.

No Ed...the series is failing. Cars that weren't competitive 8 years ago still aren't competitive because other cars have gotten faster and it's not fair and you can't buy fuel and race attendance is dropping because of it and everybody is going to race with LDRL. 🙄

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would rather run Daytona, especially over the layout that was used at Charlotte. I could just be bored with Charlotte since I'm there like once a month for events, but I'm also at Carolina Motorsports Park once a month and feel more like racing there than Charlotte. Florida has a really good motorsports community all to itself. I didn't look to see how many "travel" teams still ran Daytona. 

Edited by XelderX