I stumbled on a review of this little gem on Youtube today and was wondering if anyone here had firsthand knowledge of how these little plasma cutters work.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHDXT7X  I have some weight reduction to take care of on the interior panels and some exhaust work to do.  I've dreamed of a nice blue plasma cutter to match the Millermatic 210, but I can't justify the purchase price of even a used one for the small volume of work I will do with it.  Currently it's $152, runs on 220V and cuts 3/8" steel, which is way heavier than I expect I'll ever be cutting with it.  Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Do eet!  I've been thinking about this stuff too.

After cleaning up all the little razor blades that your nibbler produced (and still occasionally finding them in my shoes from walking through the garage) I just want to find a cleaner way to do this.  

• Haha 1

I have a cheap Clutch plasma cutter (110V) that I love.  I can tell you that I'm no artist so I can't cut a straight line with the plasma without some kind of guide for the torch to run against.  I'm way more accurate with my nibbler.  But cutting time with a plasma is just awesome.  And yes, I can run my plasma off a pancake compressor and yes, I HAVE taken it and used it at the track.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MPRLkld said:

I have a cheap Clutch plasma cutter (110V) that I love.  I can tell you that I'm no artist so I can't cut a straight line with the plasma without some kind of guide for the torch to run against.  I'm way more accurate with my nibbler.  But cutting time with a plasma is just awesome.  And yes, I can run my plasma off a pancake compressor and yes, I HAVE taken it and used it at the track.

Are the consumables the same on yours as any of the larger brands?  I don't want to get stuck with something where I get 5 tips and when they are gone the machine needs replaced because you can't get parts.

I do believe they are.  I haven't tried putting in tips that I haven't bought from Norther Tool but then I've only needed to replace one.  I bought a bunch when I bought my plasma cutter knowing I was a noob.

44 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

Are the consumables the same on yours as any of the larger brands?  I don't want to get stuck with something where I get 5 tips and when they are gone the machine needs replaced because you can't get parts.

I just got a older blue point plasma and guess what, the tips are unavailable through snap on or the 1-800 # on the device, fortunately the local welding shop thinks he can "match em up"  for $60, I will follow up when it happens.

• Thanks 1

Ed learned me my something new today.  After seeing his response I went out and checked on consumables.  They are different, for sure.  The electrodes, tips, and shields for most if not all varying brands appear to be pretty much what they want them to be and not standardized.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MPRLkld said:

Ed learned me my something new today.  After seeing his response I went out and checked on consumables.  They are different, for sure.  The electrodes, tips, and shields for most if not all varying brands appear to be pretty much what they want them to be and not standardized.  

Yep, even within the same brand they can be different.  My little Hobart 12ci uses different consumables from the bigger Hobarts.

Always my fear is to buy one of these and the small parts wear out or are used up then the thing is useless. I had a very inexpensive MIG welder that worked great until the inner cable broke and it never was the same after the welding shop “matched” it up. A good friend still uses it but it’s a pain in the behind as it jams up every six inches of wire. Find one that can use a standard cable and handle it will be worth it in the end

• 4 weeks later...

My wife bought me the JEG’s plasma cutter for X-mas 2 years ago.  Looks cheap, definitely made in China, cost like $279.  I found replacement expendables on eBay for cheap. (do not buy expendables from JEGS, they want to rip you off..) 2 years and one race car build later it’s still kicken’, just cut some 3/16” steel last week!

• Like 1