Point value for Flyin' Miata v-maxx extreme coilovers?

AlpineMarch

Brand new member, so forgive me if this has been covered, but I searched and couldn't find an answer on the boards or the tech desk.

Can anybody speak to the VPI point value for Flyin' Miata V-Maxx Extreme Track Pack Coilovers?  https://www.flyinmiata.com/review/product/list/id/4643/category/81/

I think the adjustable spring perches with aftermarket springs would be 10 pts x 4 corners = 40 points, but I can't tell if the dampers that come with the coilovers would exceed the 2x rule (because I can't find the dampers for sale by themselves).  The complete set of 4 coilovers is $939.00.  The dampers are single-adjustable (no damping adjustment).

Thanks in advance!

Adjustable dampers have a higher point value.  It's in the rules in the fixed performance value list iirc.  Adjustable dampers used to not allowed, then they were around 100 pts each.  I believe they are lower than that now.

With spec miata going to penske,  why would you run anything else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoparBoyy said:

The ones he posted are the non-adjustable versions.  So you pay 10 points a corner for coil overs.

I have the street versions on my daily driver.  great shock :)

Thanks - that's what I thought (10 points per corner for the springs/adjustable perches), but as I read the rules, the shocks could cost additional points if they're over the 2x rule.  Am I wrong about that?

1 hour ago, AlpineMarch said:

Thanks - that's what I thought (10 points per corner for the springs/adjustable perches), but as I read the rules, the shocks could cost additional points if they're over the 2x rule.  Am I wrong about that?

They could, but if the Penskis fit into 2x just about everything should.

Your initial comment is a bit confusing about the adjustability.  Do they have any sort of adjustment for rebound or compression?  If they do, they are deemed to be adjustable shocks and incur higher points.  

18 hours ago, AlpineMarch said:

Brand new member, so forgive me if this has been covered, but I searched and couldn't find an answer on the boards or the tech desk.

Can anybody speak to the VPI point value for Flyin' Miata V-Maxx Extreme Track Pack Coilovers?  https://www.flyinmiata.com/review/product/list/id/4643/category/81/

I think the adjustable spring perches with aftermarket springs would be 10 pts x 4 corners = 40 points, but I can't tell if the dampers that come with the coilovers would exceed the 2x rule (because I can't find the dampers for sale by themselves).  The complete set of 4 coilovers is $939.00.  The dampers are single-adjustable (no damping adjustment).

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

So why don't we see more spec miatas in this series?? 

From what I understand they're required to keep some factory stuff (weight) in the car for SM rules that makes them rather uncompetitive here in Champ.  There's also a lot of mods that are Champ legal which are not SM legal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

So why don't we see more spec miatas in this series?? 

This is my opinion..... They are not competitive as Spec Miata’s.  To be competitive you have to take a good Spec car and take weight out and add power.   Most likely a swap to an NB, JDM, or Ecotec engine.  And even then you are only keeping up with most, not whooping butt.   So when it’s competitive in Champcar it’s no longer legal for SM.     

• Thanks 1

But less than 500pts? So for a team that is mostly doing it for fun (like the 90% of us) it would work. 

Having said that, looking at spec Miata lap times they are pretty fast. Even if you add a second or so for the tire difference.

Maybe it's driver skill.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

But less than 500pts? So for a team that is mostly doing it for fun (like the 90% of us) it would work. 

Having said that, looking at spec Miata lap times they are pretty fast. Even if you add a second or so for the tire difference.

Maybe it's driver skill.

There are lots of former SM's in Champ. 

It's just tough to build a car to do both, or to go back and forth.  Former Spec cars are great candidates to be converted to Champ spec.

The lap time difference is complex.

Tires

Sprint races with drivers running 10 10ths the whole race with light fuel load.

Running all the kerbs, all the time.

Bump drafting.

More bump drafting.

Edited by SonsOfIrony
I can haz spell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quality spec miata motor is a $8-$10K investment.....Imagine that investment now being run in a double 8hr weekend, or the equivalent of an entire SM season.....$$$ soon becomes an issue.  That said, some teams in this series do it so......

Also, as was talked about above, SM requires a min. weight, and most competitive champ cars have removed all of those parts and then some, to a point where you cannot just bot them back in so now they cannot go back....

A 40 minute sprint on Hoosiers can lead to low laptimes, especially when running 1/3rd the fuel load too. 

Aero adds isolate them too.....

Just a lot of parts that make it so they can play here, but to be really competitive it makes it difficult.    I would love it though if the swap wieghts were based of the Spec Miata Min. instead of what Champcar decided to use.....

Most of the competitive SM cars are NB's because in SM you can't do a motor change and un-restricted the NA's can't keep up with the NB's.  If the VPI for an NB was the same as that of an NA you would see more of them.

Now let's think about this.  Doing a top flight season in SCCA SM is a 6 figure budget proposition.  Do you really want that level of money in Champcar?  Trust me, with the budget that some people put into SM, you could build a legal car in Champ that would be faster than what we've seen so far.  This would tend to drive out many of those who fill out the fields today. 

The trick to enjoying amature level racing is to find a group that wants to spend the same amount of money that you do.