Reducing Fuel tank capacity

Steve Peterson

43 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

What are you all using to reduce fuel tank capacity 

I have a 22 gallon cell and limited to 15.8 with adding 2 gallons to stock 

What are you putting inside the tanks 

You know those 1gallon red fuel jugs for storing 2stroke mix for lawn mower / string trimmers?

The cube shaped ones happen to be the perfect size to fit into the opening of the fuel cell I installed last year. So you buy a bunch at $10 ea. Put the cap on tightly. Pack ‘em into that cell. I made cutouts in the fuel cell foam to securely position each jug.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, enginerd said:

You know those 1gallon red fuel jugs for storing 2stroke mix for lawn mower / string trimmers?

The cube shaped ones happen to be the perfect size to fit into the opening of the fuel cell I installed last year. So you buy a bunch at $10 ea. Put the cap on tightly. Pack ‘em into that cell. I made cutouts in the fuel cell foam to securely position each jug.

That is a really good idea. I was going to say polypropylene\polyethylene jugs, but 1 gal fuel jugs are cheaper and a known chemistry\sealing.

45 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Man, why didn't I think of that?

Has anyone submitted a ticket to the knowledge base to get fuel cell reduction clarified as legal. I know everyone does it and the rule book is fuzzy.
"9.10.2.6. Fuel cells shall be limited to the stock, OEM fuel capacity for the make/model of car, plus-or- minus (+/-) two (2) gallons."

8 hours ago, morganf said:

Has anyone submitted a ticket to the knowledge base to get fuel cell reduction clarified as legal. I know everyone does it and the rule book is fuzzy.
"9.10.2.6. Fuel cells shall be limited to the stock, OEM fuel capacity for the make/model of car, plus-or- minus (+/-) two (2) gallons."

You just posted the answer. Why does tech need to clarify? 

8 hours ago, morganf said:

Are you seriously asking if it's legal to reduce the capacity of a fuel cell to be in compliance with that provision in the BCCR? Lol…

23 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Are you seriously asking if it's legal to reduce the capacity of a fuel cell to be in compliance with that provision in the BCCR? Lol…

To be fair.

If  "9.3.2.5. The shape and location of the window covering must 
be exactly the same size, shape, and location of the 
OE window."

Really means, close to the OE window size and location, and you can turn your trunk into a hatch back, I'd say his question is legit.

It does in fact say Fuel "cells" shall be limited to 2 gallons +/- stock capacity.

It does not say fuel cell useable capacity shall be within 2 gallons of stock capacity.

Reading the rule as written, only cells that have an actual as manufactured capacity within 2 gallons of whatever car you're installing them in are legal.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 4:21 PM, enginerd said:

What he said 100%

I am going to reduce the typeset size of the BCCR to 6 just so I can fit all of Morgan's clarifications into the BCCR.

<sadface>

Plastic oil cans work too. I have seen some teams use new and clean 2x4 or 4x4 pieces of wood.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

To be fair.

If  "9.3.2.5. The shape and location of the window covering must 
be exactly the same size, shape, and location of the 
OE window."

Really means, close to the OE window size and location, and you can turn your trunk into a hatch back, I'd say his question is legit.

It does in fact say Fuel "cells" shall be limited to 2 gallons +/- stock capacity.

It does not say fuel cell useable capacity shall be within 2 gallons of stock capacity.

Reading the rule as written, only cells that have an actual as manufactured capacity within 2 gallons of whatever car you're installing them in are legal.

True.  This rule was originally made so that you could buy a more affordable fuel cell instead of finding one exactly the right size.

Furthermore, it was supposed to be displaced down to the oe size once installed.

That was mis interpreted at 1 race and the cat was out of the bag.  

• Thanks 1

The fuel cell 2 gallon +/- goes back to 2011 and the series started in Portland in 2009. 

No mis-interpretation, it was stated that way from the start.

Quote from 2010 regarding building a Chumpcar:

"There are no fuel tank size restrictions at ChumpCar, which means you can race a fuel tanker truck if you want."

I don't know if that's accurate, it's hard to find the rules from back then but it seems to be backed up by Jer's post near the bottom of the first page asking what the penalty will be for their  +5 gallon over stock capacity fuel cell. The +/- 2 gallons was considered a restriction from the previous year, not a bonus. 

Edited by mender

17 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I am going to reduce the typeset size of the BCCR to 6 just so I can fit all of Morgan's clarifications into the BCCR.

<sadface>

Plastic oil cans work too. I have seen some teams use new and clean 2x4 or 4x4 pieces of wood.

To be fair fixing this rule would only require removing a few words.

"9.10.2.6. Fuel cells shall be limited to the stock, OEM fuel capacity for the make/model of car, plus-or- minus (+/-) two (2) gallons."

To:

"9.10.2.6. Any size fuel cells must be reduced to stock fuel capacity somehow, plus-or- minus (+/-) two (2) gallons."

P.S. If you think make/model is a necessary part of this rule then you better add make/model/year or did I find a loop hole?(later years of my make/model had more gallons)

Edited by morganf