Jump to content

TechDesk Updated


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

This morning I updated the TechDesk software on our server. It has a very different look and should work much better on mobile devices.
If you find anything jacked up, please email me at bill.strong@champcar.org

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems like you lost some ability to browse to certain "categories". For example, there is an article called "Miata Coolant Reroute" that is in the category "Mazda" that can only be found by searching. 

 

I think most builders trying to make a competitive, legal car are going to see the KB as an extension of the rulebook and feel the need to read everything in there, so you can't rely on the search function alone, there needs to be some way to see the entire list. Can you make the "latest articles" list really long so that everything shows up there? I miss having the dates on that list too if there is a way to go back to that. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
6 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

It seems like you lost some ability to browse to certain "categories". For example, there is an article called "Miata Coolant Reroute" that is in the category "Mazda" that can only be found by searching. 

 

I think most builders trying to make a competitive, legal car are going to see the KB as an extension of the rulebook and feel the need to read everything in there, so you can't rely on the search function alone, there needs to be some way to see the entire list. Can you make the "latest articles" list really long so that everything shows up there? I miss having the dates on that list too if there is a way to go back to that. 

 

I concur.

 

There are missing articles now.

 

Date of release needs to show on the list.

 

Would be good if there was a date-sorted list of all articles.

 

There are duplicate articles.  For example, the question about the 1999 miata swap oil pan is in there twice, verbatim.  There are other articles that are extremely similar that should be combined.

 

The "knowledgebase" link is hard to find on my monitor.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

Issues with the new system:

The lack of dates just made it necessary to read every single topic over again to see if you've missed anything.

Index should be grouped in a logical order. Alphabetical always works for the categories, or organize it by topics.

Ability to sort by topic or date would be nice. Anything would be better than how it is now.

Make all articles visible. We shouldn't have to open every category's "more topics' to see them all.

KB articles need to be combined when they refer to the same items. (Exhaust manifolds and flywheels are examples of redundancy/repeats/similar items that could be combined.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

Issues with the new system:

The lack of dates just made it necessary to read every single topic over again to see if you've missed anything.    Not my program. so I can't change this. Sorry.

Index should be grouped in a logical order. Alphabetical always works for the categories, or organize it by topics.     done

Ability to sort by topic or date would be nice. Anything would be better than how it is now.  Not my program. so I can't change this. Sorry.

Make all articles visible. We shouldn't have to open every category's "more topics' to see them all. Done I set to show 40. anymore than that will show more

KB articles need to be combined when they refer to the same items. (Exhaust manifolds and flywheels are examples of redundancy/repeats/similar items that could be combined.)   I'll work on this. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
3 hours ago, Huggy said:

 

I concur.

 

There are missing articles now.  I fixed

 

Date of release needs to show on the list.Not my program. so I can't change this. Sorry. I can customize the code, but then I would lose the custom code when the software is updated.

 

Would be good if there was a date-sorted list of all articles.  Not my program. so I can't change this. Sorry. I can customize the code, but then I would lose the custom code when the software is updated.

 

There are duplicate articles.  For example, the question about the 1999 miata swap oil pan is in there twice, verbatim.  There are other articles that are extremely similar that should be combined.  will try and work on that when I find the time.

 

The "knowledgebase" link is hard to find on my monitor.   This happens with age.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be possible to pull the data from the KB into a google doc spreadsheet and get the date info and have some different sorting options. I'm not sure when I would have time to get to it, so I thought I would throw out the idea in case somebody else wants to run with it in the mean time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

I think it would be possible to pull the data from the KB into a google doc spreadsheet and get the date info and have some different sorting options. I'm not sure when I would have time to get to it, so I thought I would throw out the idea in case somebody else wants to run with it in the mean time. 

 

 

I have asked the programmers of the software how I can display the date inline with the title of the article.
I frown upon customizations to our software and websites as I am getting old. I could go at any minute. Or I could be fired.
So I want to keep everything as easy to take over as I can. Customizations can cause issues with updating the software too.
I have to balance the needs of the customer vs the needs of the company to do business. 

 

6 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Bill, sometimes I can reply to TechDesk entries and sometimes I can't (Ones I've submitted that aren't yet closed)

Is this a flag somewhere that Jay sets when he replies?


No clue. I know that if it has been closed, you can't reply back.
I do know that there is an update to the software. But I wont install it until our host has approved the update to work with their auto-updater. This goes back to keeping the software working within a set of rules that I have. Let me know if it keeps doing it. We could also have smartypantsmembers flagged. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Thank you. I have not had time to look at it on my phone as I was working to tweak it for desktops for our tech guys to use as they are starting to use the new update. You guys(end users) are next. except for Paul... since he is asking too many questions.
 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

I have asked the programmers of the software how I can display the date inline with the title of the article.
I frown upon customizations to our software and websites as I am getting old. I could go at any minute. Or I could be fired.
So I want to keep everything as easy to take over as I can. Customizations can cause issues with updating the software too.
I have to balance the needs of the customer vs the needs of the company to do business. 
 

Makes perfect sense for the official source to be supportable.

The dates were there in the old version, so if you could get them back that would help.

Then you just need to get the list of "latest articles" to be longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...