Seat Sliders

KoneKillah

I did a quick search but I didn't find much.

3 of our drivers are 5' 10" + - an inch or two. One is about 6' 2" with very long legs. Seat sliders would be the easy button, but are they necessarily safe? Does Tech look down upon adjustable seating?

For those of you who use them, which one do you use? Any one have custom solutions?

7 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

I did a quick search but I didn't find much.

3 of our drivers are 5' 10" + - an inch or two. One is about 6' 2" with very long legs. Seat sliders would be the easy button, but are they necessarily safe? Does Tech look down upon adjustable seating?

For those of you who use them, which one do you use? Any one have custom solutions?

We currently have our seat on the OEM powered slider (luxurious!).  Jay commented to us at the last Spring Harris Hill race that he believed other people were hoping to do something similar.  We are considering a universal manual slider in the future because the factory electric slider is really slow and the mechanism is heavy.

• Like 1

We modified a factory slider (E36) with a frame made from square tubing. There is zero play in the seat. No issues with tech.

The only photos I have are in progress. None of the finished product. But you get the idea.

Slider.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

We currently have our seat on the OEM powered slider (luxurious!).  Jay commented to us at the last Spring Harris Hill race that he believed other people were hoping to do something similar.  We are considering a universal manual slider in the future because the factory electric slider is really slow and the mechanism is heavy.

We have had ours on the factory powered slider since 2016. It took a bit of stiffening a couple of times due to cracks but it is still working well. We have the weight down to a minimum and isn’t but a couple of pounds. Works well for keeping belts set and you just roll the seat up until tight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burningham said:

We have had ours on the factory powered slider since 2016. It took a bit of stiffening a couple of times due to cracks but it is still working well. We have the weight down to a minimum and isn’t but a couple of pounds. Works well for keeping belts set and you just roll the seat up until tight. 

A mechanism like that wouldn't fly on our team. I could see someone "accidentally" hitting the switch while somebody else was strapped in. 😊

1 minute ago, B-Rad said:

A mechanism like that wouldn't fly on our team. I could see someone "accidentally" hitting the switch while somebody else was strapped in. 😊

Hmm, I like that idea.  You know, if you knew about it ahead of time you could go in and adjust the sub belts really tight. 

Edited by Burningham
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Hmm, I like that idea.  You know, if you knew about it ahead of time you could go in and adjust the sub belts really tight. 

"So now that you're strapped in, let's discuss the rental fee for this stint."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you want to get fancy like I did, tape a rule to the slider and put a mark on the floor.

All the drivers need to do is set the slider BEFORE they get into the car with whatever setting they liked.  Way eaiser, faster, and repeatable.

We run the OMP slider and replace it every year. 

Tech had a problem in our first year with seat movement and they asked us to address it. We looked and it was how our rails were mounted was not sturdy enough. We welded in 1x1 tubular frame under the seat and now nothing moves. No problems going through tech since.

2 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

We run the OMP slider and replace it every year. 

Tech had a problem in our first year with seat movement and they asked us to address it. We looked and it was how our rails were mounted was not sturdy enough. We welded in 1x1 tubular frame under the seat and now nothing moves. No problems going through tech since.

Replace it every year? Is it damaged or do you just hate that you have money lying around?

I put in new seat sliders (Sparco) before my first race of the year and before the second race they were already loose.

I think the problem stems from the fact that the two seat side brackets are not tied together, allowing them to parallelogram when they're side loaded in turns. It caused the sliders to permanently deform. I'm going to try tying them together to see if they last longer.

6 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

Replace it every year? Is it damaged or do you just hate that you have money lying around?

Jay recommended replacement yearly on sliders with amount of time we put on track.

Lets see its $100, over the course of a year that is what $0.27 per day split among four guys $.07/day to have a seat slider that is tight.  We also carry a spare with us because we "hate money" or we value our safety whatever perspective you take.

Also when your two year old slider takes a poop at the track and we are there well have one to save your weekend too. 

8 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

I may have to fab up something of my own design here. I have never really trusted those sheet steel sliders and I figured there would be a more robust option.

I've been struggling with the same thing.. I think a lot of sliders are the same just rebranded. I've been trying to determine which ones are actually different than the sparcos and/or better. If you figure something out please do share!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Jay recommended replacement yearly on sliders with amount of time we put on track.

Lets see its $100, over the course of a year that is what $0.27 per day split among four guys $.07/day to have a seat slider that is tight.  We also carry a spare with us because we "hate money" or we value our safety whatever perspective you take.

Also when your two year old slider takes a poop at the track and we are there well have one to save your weekend too. 

I saw OMP and thought $$$$$. No need to get snarky my friend. Perhaps I should have used green font?

In any case a safety item you have to replace every year seems like a bad design. I won't be using them.

Edited by KoneKillah
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I've been struggling with the same thing.. I think a lot of sliders are the same just rebranded. I've been trying to determine which ones are actually different than the sparcos and/or better. If you figure something out please do share!

Will do. I am pretty close to having enough content to make a build thread and I will share there. Let me just get this cage in first...