Jump to content

Surge Tanks


 Share

Recommended Posts

Someone learn me fuel surge tanks. As far as I can tell it works as a "capacitor" to your fuel system to prevent slosh in the main tank from affecting fuel supply at the injectors. 

 

Do y'all run two pumps (Lift pump and Fuel to injector rail pump) to accomplish this?

 

A two way valve at the fuel tank fill neck to direct fuel to the surge tank during a fuel stop?

 

Best practices and safety concerns?

 

This may be one of those skunk works topics to many, but I would like to be exposed to different methods before I chase after my own ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

Do y'all run two pumps (Lift pump and Fuel to injector rail pump) to accomplish this?

Most typically used with 2 pumps

5 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

A two way valve at the fuel tank fill neck to direct fuel to the surge tank during a fuel stop?

Nope, when configured properly, the surge is only empty when the tank is dry and the car finally quits.

6 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

Best practices and safety concerns?

Put it close to the tank and far as possible from harm and driver

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adding to this, some of our skunk works:

We kept the factory high pressure pump as the lift and added a identical factory pump/ fittings on trimmed down sending unit in a surge, sort of one way redundant system that allows us to quickly swap a couple lines to delete the surge pump if it were to quit, if the lift fails, it takes a bit longer to dig it out of the OEM tank.

 

Added bonus with spares, both pumps are the same.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The surge is only primed on the first fill and if you don't run the car dry it will always be full. If you are running that close on fuel you will find yourself out on track dead and having a 20 minute tow. Kind of a bad idea.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OEM pump in tank going to surge.  Aftermarket pump from tank to fuel rail. fuel rain return back to surge and another return from surge back the main tank that equalizes pressure between the two.  Want to prime your surge tank, just the key and get your oem pump/tank to start working and filling the surge.  Then you can flip the aftermarket fuel pump on and fire it on up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, theblue said:

to stay legal to the roles we have a foot pump next to the clutch to fill the surge tank from the main tank that the driver pumps during the stop.  

  Well then your foot pump, fuel component,  is not bulkheaded from the driver compartment. Non compliance fix it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

  Well then your foot pump, fuel component,  is not bulkheaded from the driver compartment. Non compliance fix it.

The foot component would merely be a pedal and linkages (perhaps hydraulic) to remotely actuate the pump, which would be located within the fuel cell bulkhead. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, enginerd said:

The foot component would merely be a pedal and linkages (perhaps hydraulic) to remotely actuate the pump, which would be located within the fuel cell bulkhead. 

Says who ??  His foot pump is in the driver compartment and definitely Illegal .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

Says who ??  His foot pump is in the driver compartment and definitely Illegal .

If the foot portion of his surge tank priming foot pump doesn’t have any fuel in it, and doesn’t have any fuel-carrying lines running outside of the cell bulkhead, then it is fine. I was proposing a design option that would make it a legal item in the sense of bulk heading all fuel components. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
Just now, enginerd said:

If the foot portion of his surge tank priming foot pump doesn’t have any fuel in it, and doesn’t have any fuel-carrying lines running outside of the cell bulkhead, then it is fine. I was proposing a design option that would make it a legal 

  What is the point value of your design ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

Nope , no fill neck hose to the surge tank .

  • 4.7.3. All fuel-system components except the fuel tank/fuel cell are open and do not count towards total points.
  • 9.10.2.1.2. Stock fuel tank vent lines and fill necks may be altered and/or relocated.
  • 9.10.3.1. Vehicles may not have more than the stock number of fill ports.

Per those rules, I would expect you could alter the fill neck so that it directs fuel to both the primary tank and the surge.  Bulkhead rules would still apply of course.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grufton said:
  • 4.7.3. All fuel-system components except the fuel tank/fuel cell are open and do not count towards total points.
  • 9.10.2.1.2. Stock fuel tank vent lines and fill necks may be altered and/or relocated.
  • 9.10.3.1. Vehicles may not have more than the stock number of fill ports.

Per those rules, I would expect you could alter the fill neck so that it directs fuel to both the primary tank and the surge.  Bulkhead rules would still apply of course.

Let's not go crazy here, there are real issues to work on. Nobody needs to fill their surge tanks.. and there doesn't need to be a rule against it. Ray has spoken.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

NO !!

 

21 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Let's not go crazy here, there are real issues to work on. Nobody needs to fill their surge tanks.. and there doesn't need to be a rule against it. Ray has spoken.

 

I'm honestly surprised it took that many posts to get to "No!!", even though it's the correct answer, and I think most here know it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Grufton said:
  • 4.7.3. All fuel-system components except the fuel tank/fuel cell are open and do not count towards total points.
  • 9.10.2.1.2. Stock fuel tank vent lines and fill necks may be altered and/or relocated.
  • 9.10.3.1. Vehicles may not have more than the stock number of fill ports.

 

 

Per those rules, I would expect you could alter the fill neck so that it directs fuel to both the primary tank and the surge.  Bulkhead rules would still apply of course.

 

 

I already did that and it was banned.

 

:(

Screenshot_20200303-183835_Gallery.jpg

Edited by LuckyKid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

I already did that and it was banned.

 

:(

Screenshot_20200303-183835_Gallery.jpg

Good. That’s not a surge tank. That’s a “gimme extra capacity” tank. Why wouldn’t you plumb it to feed the rail from the tank?

Oooh, you would lose out on the other 1/2 gallon of filler tube. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Good. That’s not a surge tank. That’s a “gimme extra capacity” tank. Why wouldn’t you plumb it to feed the rail from the tank?

Oooh, you would lose out on the other 1/2 gallon of filler tube. 

Just trying to find ways to keep up with those BMWs with cheaty swap weights. :)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...