4 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

Seems like a fantastic out of the box package. 20 gal tank too?

Yep only 5 more points than an e36 2.8 liter.  You get 3.5 more gallons of gas and 70 more hp for those 5 pts.

It really is the next chapter of champcar.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, enginerd said:

So, high flow exhaust probably accounts for the 10 hp, any ChampCar build would ditch the stock exhaust for something even better than the SER exhaust. 
Stiffer suspension (if it means springs) is also moot because any ChampCar builder would ditch or modify the springs to be far stiffer than that anyway.

Upgraded brakes could be further improved for 0 points to wilwoods or something of the sort regardless of the starting point.

and wheels are open. 

I don't really care, just pointing out it is more than just some branded badging being stuck on and a nicer interior, which would be removed by and Champcar builer anyway...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep only 5 more points than an e36 2.8 liter.  You get 3.5 more gallons of gas and 70 more hp for those 5 pts.

I think a VPI increase is imminent. 

16 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

You sure?

"The 2005 Nissan Altima received a facelift, including a new front grille, all-red taillights, redesigned interior, and an optional DVD-based navigation system. The V6 was now rated at 250 hp (186 kW) with torque rated at 249 lb⋅ft (338 N⋅m), and proven[citation needed] 0–60 mph (97 km/h) time of 6.2 seconds utilizing the 5-speed automatic transmission. Also new was the SE-R model with a 260 hp (194 kW) and 251 lb⋅ft (340 N⋅m) of torque version of the V6, a 6-speed manual transmission (automatic still optional), upgraded brakes, 18-inch wheels, a suspension even stiffer than that of the 3.5 SE's, and a high-flow exhaust.[11]Car and Driver tested the SE-R resulting in 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 6.1 seconds.[12]MotorWeek episode #2432 tested an SE-R equipped with an automatic transmission that produced a 0–60 mph time of 5.8 seconds.[13]"

The rating may have changed, but the engine did not.  Air intake and exhaust is free so moot.  Same with wheels, suspension, brakes, all 2X.

I did forget about the 6MT though.  I forgot they got the 6 that wasn't available to the standard Altima, but the benefits of that are hard to nail down.  Short gears with good torque just mean wheel spin and lots of footwork.

2 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

The rating may have changed, but the engine did not.  Air intake and exhaust is free so moot.  Same with wheels, suspension, brakes, all 2X.

I did forget about the 6MT though.  I forgot they got the 6 that wasn't available to the standard Altima, but the benefits of that are hard to nail down.  Short gears with good torque just mean wheel spin and lots of footwork.

you know they have traction control right? Lol

4 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

VPI is based on those numbers though, not what is free to be added to the car, at least that is how it has been explained to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoneKillah said:

I think a VPI increase is imminent. 

I agree.  Which is why I said what I said in the Sanoma thread.  I think that may have had something to do with the car going up for sale.  Not the only reason, but I'm sure it didn't help.  Only Paul can answer that.

5 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Heavier and FWD too.  That may be why it started where it did.

6 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

you know they have traction control right? Lol

My car has what is likely pretty much the same system.  It sucks on the street and I expect it to suck on the track, but maybe the FWD car makes better use of it.

It's hard to take every single thing into consideration when setting the VPI of a car that was never raced.  It's also hard to know how well a platform will respond to 2X mods.

14 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

It's hard to take every single thing into consideration when setting the VPI of a car that was never raced.  It's also hard to know how well a platform will respond to 2X mods.

Very true.  And also why review and adjustments need to be made sometimes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Dont forget the weight balance of the Altima.  All that weight over the front wheels makes traction a breeze.

Disclaimer, I drive a maxima with same(ish) ( my gas tank is smaller :( ) benefits of the Altima.  Dont discount how hard it actually is to make a 3300lb, heavily front biased, fwd car drive like a race car.

• Like 2