Air Travel to races: Packing advice for helmet? Other gear?

I use a "large" carry on suitcase (the largest they allow to fit in the overhead bin)  that my helmet fits in.  I lay it sideways and wrap my suit around the outside to provide some more cushion.  I put my gloves, socks, balaclava, cameras inside my helmet.  Then I stuff my coolshirt and shoes anyway I can. 

If you were on small commuter planes, this suitcase likely won't fit.  The other option I've done is to ship a well padded box to a person driving there to bring.  Then I ship the box back home after the race.

I have a helmet bag that I carry on with my HANS, pack the inside of my helmet with the normal stuff I'd want on the plane and check the rest in my bag.  I don't trust package chuckers with my helmet regardless of what sport is for, I do the same thing on ski trips as well.  

• Haha 1

I have checked my bag with helmet and all drivers safety gear before without any issues and I have carried my helmet on before as well. With the cost of checking a bag I would probably figure out how to carry it all on the plane

Hey, I fly a lot with my gear. 

I did a post on the bag I use most often.

Now that I have been using it for a few years i have moved away from putting my helmet in that bag. It's a pain in the ass to get everything in without the hans and nearly impossible with it. I still use it for my gear and clothes but use a Helmet bag. I use this helmet bag https://www.ogracing.com/hjc-deluxe-helmet-bag as my "personal item" but I don't love it. Doesn't hold my additional visors well. I carry on everything because any delay in receiving bags on a race weekend could be awful. If you are flying an economy flight you are probably fracked, the bell bag is too big to be allowed by Sprit as a free bag. You might get away with it though. 

I don’t trust the helmet in checked luggage. Like @Snake, I have a helmet bag (free from Discovery when I bought the helmet) and I put it under the seat in front of me or in the overhead.  It is my “personal item”, not my carryon. I check my Hans and suit and shoes.  I utilize the space in the helmet for battery packs and small electronics (but I like the suit idea too)