Always new tires both days?

turbogrill

No, track dependent we get just rotate fronts to backs between days.  Usually a weekend out of a set is what we look for.  Sometimes, depending on the situation we may start a race on a set that has two races on them.  Rare, but it has happened.  We currently have the set that is on the car mounted, a spare set, plus a set of rains mounted and ready if need be. 

• Like 2

We run the rs4 for a few races in a row.  We swap them side to side or front to back depending on tire wear.  

We will also flip them inside to out.

I have no hard data to back this up, but I do think the rs4 last long enough that they do start to cycle out after that second race.

• Like 4

Same as everyone else here in regards to the RS4s. Usually rotate front to back from Saturday to Sunday and then maybe get another race out of them, if not then a full season of practice days and track days or they just become the spares. I try to have a new set for each weekend, with old ones as spares and now have a set of rains chilling in the trailer. 

On 3/7/2020 at 11:44 PM, turbogrill said:

Hi

What is your tires policy, do you always start with fresh tires both days. Do you reuse tires from previous weekends?

Last race we didn't get much wear on the tires, would nice to reuse. The tires felt fine then.

Do 200tw tires cycle out?

Our guys all agree ahead of time, if we are more than 10 laps out of contention for a day we put heavily used tires on during the next fuel stop, and swap em when they get bald. 

Depending on your car's durability, this might be every weekend or never....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

We've been running RS4s that have been used for 4+ days almost all of last season.  We haven't noticed them dropping off.   

On Neon's if you are kind they easily go more than a race. We are currently at about 2 races (4 days) before they are totally creamed. 

Good wearing tire, can be had cheap if the series moved to a spec tire like LD......

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Our guys all agree ahead of time, if we are more than 10 laps out of contention for a day we put heavily used tires on during the next fuel stop, and swap em when they get bald. 

I may start doing this to save me some money, thanks for this idea 🍻

We had been starting the weekend on a new set of RS4's but after last year we may scrap that and just have a new set on the shelf unmounted and run what we have until they are junk. We offloaded several sets of used tires at the end of the year to other teams and most tires had better than 50% left.

Common though is they are used so they arnt as fast but i dont find that to be true. Every race weekend but one last year we were faster day 2 than day one, and the day we wernt faster i had 2 year old 20+ heat cycled RS4's swapped onto the front for my last stint as prev. driver flat spotted. I ran .2 second slower with a car that was wrecked day one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Magic said:

That is something I hadn't thought of before.  Great idea!

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That is something I hadn't thought of before.  Great idea!

Not popular with most people in the series, but some teams will reduce run time\park the car when they go 10 laps down. If you are really competitive, and have less overhead in getting to the race, not burning your consumables can save money (if you don't need the track time to get better). 

They basically become track days for people more than 10 laps down. Shake the car down, make the drivers better, bed things and test things for the next race day. 

• Technical Advisory Committee

Started the 2019 24 with a new set of RS4.

Started the 2019 VIR double 8s with all 4 of the same tires.

Changed the Left Front to a used one purchased  from parts-badger.

Started the 2020 VIR south 12 with 3/4 of the same tires

Changed the Left Rear with 2 hours remaining to another used one.

The right sides have 24+16+12 + testing on them..52+ hours of racing, 3 victories  Probably going in the take-offs pile now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Started the 2019 24 with a new set of RS4.

Started the 2019 VIR double 8s with all 4 of the same tires.

Changed the Left Front to a used one purchased  from parts-badger.

Started the 2020 VIR south 12 with 3/4 of the same tires

Changed the Left Rear with 2 hours remaining to another used one.

The right sides have 24+16+12 + testing on them..52+ hours of racing, 3 victories  Probably going in the take-offs pile now.

Really.  You haven't had enough winning this week, you had to win this thread too?

Leave some for the rest of us man.  ;)

• Haha 3

• Members

We get 2-3 races out of set of RS4, maybe 30 hours. We will heat cycle them before tread is gone.  Other tires wear faster.  RE71R if you get 7-8 hours out of a set if you are lucky, yet they are a good 2 seconds faster so you expect that. Most other tires are in the middle somewhere. 

It depends on the tire type, tire size, weight of the car, hp of the car and alignment of the car. You can do the math and figure it out long term if needed. There is a lot that goes into it.

OH yah,    Depends if you have a jacka$$ driver who likes to lock up the brakes multiple times during their stint and flat spots them. That is always fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

We've been running RS4s that have been used for 4+ days almost all of last season.  We haven't noticed them dropping off.   

Our experience is that the RS4 maintains great performance to the end. 

RE71R is faster (I think 1-2 seconds on a ~2 min lap) but will only last us ~8 hours before shoulders on fronts are shot. 

44 minutes ago, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

Multiple days on same tires?  Multiple WEEKENDS on same set.

shear madness

granted, we can use more camber - no doubt.

but this is what are Falkens look like after 1 DAY(8 hrs) of racing.

time to switch brands?

9C1215FF-8AEE-4E3B-897C-0981ABF8DBCE.jpeg

Oof!  Have you done tire temp testing and found what pressure and camber the tires are happiest?

We went from about 14 hours on a set to multiple weekends just by listening to what the tire temps were telling us.

It's worth the points (if needed) to be able to adjust camber.

Are those fronts or rears?  What type of car?

25 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Oof!  Have you done tire temp testing and found what pressure and camber the tires are happiest?

We went from about 14 hours on a set to multiple weekends just by listening to what the tire temps were telling us.

It's worth the points (if needed) to be able to adjust camber.

Are those fronts or rears?  What type of car?

Fronts.  On a FWD Audi A4.   Rears are much better.  So we usually use 6 new tires each weekend
tire temp testing?  No, we have not done that.  Any temp range to look for?  Or does it depend on car, weight, track, etc?

we have no experience with this.  Would like to hear more.

44 minutes ago, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

Fronts.  On a FWD Audi A4.   Rears are much better.  So we usually use 6 new tires each weekend
tire temp testing?  No, we have not done that.  Any temp range to look for?  Or does it depend on car, weight, track, etc?

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/just-the-tip-how-to-use-a-tire-pyrometer-to-go-faster/

8 hours ago, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

While the outside shoulders appear to be pretty chewed up (the typical camber limited FWD problem), it looks like the real problem on those tires is the treadwear on the inside half. In addition to the suggestions for testing temp vs inflation to get a better read on camber requirements, I'm suspect that the car is lighting up the inside front tire coming out of turns and doing a one wheel peel off of every corner due to applying the throttle too early. More camber would likely make your wear worse if this is the case.

• Like 1