Tech inspection - test and tune suggestions

333 Kinkle

The race in Texas is the only race I have participated in. Dont know how inspections and testing is done at other tracks. Harris Hill is small and does not have a working pit road. I will be coming in Sept..Ran last two years in the March.

My suggestion is they have inspection start as early as 8 am or 9 am. This will allow enough time to fix any infractions. Then there would be time to use all the test and tune time.

The way it is now. Inspection starts at 11. Get in line. Wait for at least 1 to 2 hours. Fix anything that was not just right. Go back. Get cleared. Then test and tune for just half the 6 hours allotted. Just enough for everyone to get in and on the track and a little rushed doing it. It is not money or time spent well either.

If they could inspect at each pit. No lines, no pushing the car forward. It would save them time as well. They could check, spill pans, gas cans, kitty litter, FE etc. It would cut down on the traffic back and forth for inspection and test and tune. Safety first. Just a suggestion not a requirement nor criticism of how it's done now.

There isn't a test and tune at every race. In fact, I think it's the exception. Tech shouldn't have to walk around the paddock looking for cars to tech. I'm not sure how, exactly, that saves time over a tech line. And they are supposed to walk from trailer to trailer looking for car #XXX? Finally, tech doesn't inspect "spill pans, gas cans, kitty litter, FE etc.". It's the team's responsibility to have those items in the pit. 

I think there are new video inspections.

I've also learned to send Ray and Jay emails, now tech desk tickets, ahead of time with lots of photos.

They are working on digital logbooks, I think this will speed everything up.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I will take advantage of the video option to help it pass the inspection process. Putting in a new roll cage in the Stang. The one in it now passes but barely. Welds are not real good. Changing my tank to a fuel cell for more safety. Still wish tech started earlier in the day. Inspections are always interpretive to the car being inspected. The rules are to cover every car. Every car is a little different.

T&T is rare. Some tracks have a practice day on the Friday before an event. Some are mixed series, meaning you could be out there with cars from AER and SCCA or maybe even Lemons. I find those are the best. There aren't 100 cars on the track and you can typically race all day for $350-400. Other than that if you can get Historic tags for you car. Here in Md. it is easy and cheap enough. About $120 for tags (2 years), Tittle, registration and taxes are about another $200. Of course you will need to have insurance, which is maybe $250-300 year. We do this it allows us to take the car out and work out all the bugs before we get to the track. 

I had concerns about this problem for the RA event.  80 cars were signed up and at 15 minutes each is 20 hours of tech time.  Tech was open for 6 hours prior to the testing starting means Champ needed to have 4 teams doing tech to get it all done before testing started.  I emailed Mike to ask how many people he had lined up and didn't get an answer. 

So we busted our ass for 1100 miles to get there the night before and get in line.  We were the last car through tech on Thursday night.

11 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

I had concerns about this problem for the RA event.  80 cars were signed up and at 15 minutes each is 20 hours of tech time.  Tech was open for 6 hours prior to the testing starting means Champ needed to have 4 teams doing tech to get it all done before testing started.  I emailed Mike to ask how many people he had lined up and didn't get an answer. 

So we busted our ass for 1100 miles to get there the night before and get in line.  We were the last car through tech on Thursday night.

RA tech on Thursday night was hindered by Jay being delayed several times on his flight from FL. It was also the first time they were using digital tech sheets, so it was a work in progress. With the implementation of some minor rule changes and what not, it was slow. Also, a couple of the first few cars had issues or were new builds. RA is/was not a good example of tech line. That’s one reason they do it on Thursday night on the first race of the season.

Also, you don’t have to have your car tech’ed prior to taking advantage of any testing time. It is your responsibility to have it done prior to tech closing though. 

Edited by jakks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

But RA was the first event of the year, besides a few cars that ran at Sebring.  I would expect a heavy tech load.  Even once Jay got there I think they only had 3 people looking at cars. 

Did all cars get tech’ed before they closed Friday at 6pm? If I’m not mistaken, yes.

Got to realize that this is budget racing. CC staff consists of about 7-10 people on any given weekend. Al/Jimmy don’t tech cars. Registration doesn’t tech cars, T&S doesn’t tech. There are generally 3 people that can tech cars. Jay, Ray, and sometimes the Race Director will jump in. 

46 minutes ago, jakks said:

RA tech on Thursday night was hindered by Jay being delayed several times on his flight from FL. It was also the first time they were using digital tech sheets, so it was a work in progress. With the implementation of some minor rule changes and what not, it was slow. Also, a couple of the first few cars had issues or were new builds. RA is/was not a good example of tech line. That’s one reason they do it on Thursday night on the first race of the season.

Also, you don’t have to have your car tech’ed prior to taking advantage of any testing time. It is your responsibility to have it done prior to tech closing though. 

We can absolutely attest to the fact that flights from Florida to Atlanta were a total disaster. We were delayed most of the day and originally expected to be at the track around noon. We didn't arrive at Road Atlanta until 7:00 p.m..

38 minutes ago, The Goose said:

Video inspection - who or how would I get started with that ? Have an old car that never really made it to the track. It was built many BCCRs ago.

Since it’s not letting me copy and paste the link. Follow the trail here. 

867AA733-579A-49A9-99F8-C4A4F55814DD.jpeg

• Like 2