End mounted rear wings: How'd you do it?

Alex3000

OK, so I bought a 53" wide wing, which is more or less just as wide as the rear of my rx7.  It came with shiite mounts so I'm going to fab my own no matter what.  I want to do end plate mounts, although I must admit to myself that it's mainly because I think it looks cool. 

I know some people have done this so:

What's your experience? Would you do it again or too much work vs. using regular wing mounts already on the wing?

How did you mount the bottom portion to a mainly sloping portion of body? 

Daytona Chargers and Superbirds had mounts that extended down thru the trunk and into the rear frame rails. I'm thinking about a wing for our Firebird and would do the same thing. I doubt a trunk lid or quarter panel is strong enough to mount a wing to. Not unless you built up a bunch of support under it. 

47 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Daytona Chargers and Superbirds had mounts that extended down thru the trunk and into the rear frame rails. I'm thinking about a wing for our Firebird and would do the same thing. I doubt a trunk lid or quarter panel is strong enough to mount a wing to. Not unless you built up a bunch of support under it. 

Depending on how it flexes, a trunk lid-mounted wing may make for a great passive DRS system. 

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Depending on how it flexes, a trunk lid-mounted wing may make for a great passive DRS system. 

I realize this is a mostly sarcastic statement, but it has two internal braces running the length of the wing inside so I would say it would crack before bending.

Also, assuming the load is like 100-200 lbs that would theoretically be evenly spread over the length of the wing right?  That would be like 2-4lbs per inch length, which is not crazy I would think.  

2 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

I realize this is a mostly sarcastic statement, but it has two internal braces running the length of the wing inside so I would say it would crack before bending.

Also, assuming the load is like 100-200 lbs that would theoretically be evenly spread over the length of the wing right?  That would be like 2-4lbs per inch length, which is not crazy I would think.  

Correct it's a distributed load.

15 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

I meant (although didn’t clearly write) that a flexing trunk lid may accomplish this, not a flexing wing. The entire wing support structure would (perhaps) lean back at higher speeds as the trunk lid flexes. 

Edited by enginerd

9 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I meant (although didn’t clearly write) that a flexing trunk lid may accomplish this, not a flexing wing. The entire wing support structure would (perhaps) lean back at higher speeds as the trunk lid flexes. 

Ah, gotcha.

I have to say, I think this may be true on like a civic or bmw or something that has a more or less thin shell of a trunk. The first gen rx-7 has a pretty thick rear quarter section. I can't push it in by hand leaning on it. I do get it though, 200lbs of force through 2 pylons = 100lbs on each mount.

Obviously bracing ect. is the way to go,  which is why I'm wondering who has done it and how.

I kinda did this.  It is not end mounted, but very near the ends with goose neck mounts.  

I welded some 18 gauge sheet metal to the quarter panels right outside of the hatch area.  Then I welded angle iron on both sides of the vertical mounts and bolted through the wing support and angle iron.

I hit the wall at Charlotte and destroyed the car.  The wing is in 1 piece.  The drivers side of the car took a pretty good shot.  The wing (Wingman) carried the load through it and distorted the quarter panel on the passenger side.

Evan Horner (wingman wings) has a pic or 2 post destruction of the car.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Sad 1

You mean like this? I used an Xbox to 3D scan the trunk, designed some mounts, had a coworker waterjet and bend them. Mounted them right at the seem between the trunk lid and bodyside so there is a sturdy vertical flange. Huge steel backing plate inside the body with weld nuts. Cables running side to side and it moves the whole car when you push on it. 

CpVDMIxhSuxX4xvJhgFBC3TLEL9Os0_O606eqnqclQ6zVxUg63DkKYr5_qyY5PCR9n_inibfyKcAj30vUqADL91jUxmvjD-nJsuQsypG9k2QsVkOysG0DBRlohDEZIgj-yBKLcypgjorsMwXSd4oXYLCx8WlVtInJKUmdRmWGutFYsb6UNMej9nf1V0n9DA-DgJ8V8WMDCwhX3Wuhxdu3LpOhL4sYegfSHae9iZrDnaHLzNCGKMMGD1YCwsvj-220bnMP6tqRHCYS-nftbjl0s4GfEPRQqqzQ2Jg7Ipjl5gFozz0vVHUuoxHcK9zYpJrZYoeQvVKm6mmG4b8H7h0IWqxewwVKMS1HjZREmB_IbbS6bDZ49wUXgBCqDZp07NeOdzt2nULUATltnb5KePVn8LrSJY9EkneUjfV2AxIE0UVHZFuXFi7tAN9K9JL3tOMjbwdqIKcOam-jAEq3xmzNye-mosVlwsTqukLE_uyEOOUi1lq6cYpuP-ykFQYQ7PXa3QbrHwWcGFEk2YG9fmYpS19dBhiE-3bl4LYoNPfK3hn-318ec3KoI-0DYj6RcgC4NtkBuHkpEXvFCWBXuws1UNZehIgZ9qj0EBOk7H5VuSRqfEW2_fPxkm_zPEb3_c1aE0adc3W3OI48EWisrtFuJjBP6n8rKqouji7Y7KrUT1gVYZPV9k-KUI=w1920-h787-no

1 hour ago, IPF Racing said:

You mean like this? I used an Xbox to 3D scan the trunk, designed some mounts, had a coworker waterjet and bend them. Mounted them right at the seem between the trunk lid and bodyside so there is a sturdy vertical flange. Huge steel backing plate inside the body with weld nuts. Cables running side to side and it moves the whole car when you push on it. 

CpVDMIxhSuxX4xvJhgFBC3TLEL9Os0_O606eqnqclQ6zVxUg63DkKYr5_qyY5PCR9n_inibfyKcAj30vUqADL91jUxmvjD-nJsuQsypG9k2QsVkOysG0DBRlohDEZIgj-yBKLcypgjorsMwXSd4oXYLCx8WlVtInJKUmdRmWGutFYsb6UNMej9nf1V0n9DA-DgJ8V8WMDCwhX3Wuhxdu3LpOhL4sYegfSHae9iZrDnaHLzNCGKMMGD1YCwsvj-220bnMP6tqRHCYS-nftbjl0s4GfEPRQqqzQ2Jg7Ipjl5gFozz0vVHUuoxHcK9zYpJrZYoeQvVKm6mmG4b8H7h0IWqxewwVKMS1HjZREmB_IbbS6bDZ49wUXgBCqDZp07NeOdzt2nULUATltnb5KePVn8LrSJY9EkneUjfV2AxIE0UVHZFuXFi7tAN9K9JL3tOMjbwdqIKcOam-jAEq3xmzNye-mosVlwsTqukLE_uyEOOUi1lq6cYpuP-ykFQYQ7PXa3QbrHwWcGFEk2YG9fmYpS19dBhiE-3bl4LYoNPfK3hn-318ec3KoI-0DYj6RcgC4NtkBuHkpEXvFCWBXuws1UNZehIgZ9qj0EBOk7H5VuSRqfEW2_fPxkm_zPEb3_c1aE0adc3W3OI48EWisrtFuJjBP6n8rKqouji7Y7KrUT1gVYZPV9k-KUI=w1920-h787-no

Precisely!  Thanks.

Hmm, it seems people are doing a lot of work to mount them this way.  I'm at the point where I just want my build to be over though, and I don't have laser jets mounted to xbox's, just a chop saw and an angle grinder. 

IPF do you have any close up pics of where that mount attaches to the body?

Precisely!  Thanks.

Hmm, it seems people are doing a lot of work to mount them this way.  I'm at the point where I just want my build to be over though, and I don't have laser jets mounted to xbox's, just a chop saw and an angle grinder. 

IPF do you have any close up pics of where that mount attaches to the body?

Yeah I definitely went overboard with my mounts for absolutely no reason. You could do it way simpler if you wanted. This is the closest detail I have unfortunately but heres a pic of the xbox scan too, its pretty low resolution so not near as fancy as it sounds.

u1N0k3B_jKynqxid3Z9M_n57h624JmzblS3BUrN6JwkA22r5whUzuUUC_P_EAheSuqmHssqnb3cgjO7QfyBpUo60KYwAiOgC4dnoNLrDAdtxWrEn-kgzjLz3tyzp5nRS92v8AF7G-P5guvQIeYAKbzDPIzRPYffzNBSU8p2AQD8qLYCmlMhzl-1KWLDFv_XMPlthM8_m4sESAcObl3y6zOd12S5l5eA6p2EueraVmSYNpnm4CFvLdeYzGO6DNrmoO0SG8uLfuZ8guV9KuxPvTZ1G5sfUJvx0WMNYOki_Z6bsavIYzC-7i_vDP3xXtaaPjkTGO7XX5uXGqMtyuiEr268mVfaka18g92nl-LR0rJwPRy_eF4T-5Ike1AVP95u3GDFPefn5kdYzk0-b9_JsjSoU8dXZHxHFmK43MlEhUepUEV9tBUq-xXf5tLIGNiMtQYAPVmDx-oMWExfJVnDREO0DDHJ2l9SAe4T_JiirzQvpvFpkCVfgvsTZxkowOotq029dyAgS7FGkAfr31jkKZFEeU2XVb8str3H95_0_v2CEjm4rn54Lm3-Ar7-qhQU3voPldb9fZunK2aRCBI3j9_A7Yc7f2DxddPVPpj9Y93eup0Wn721776A7NiT_lccJm7YdfhgN4TM__kFIMmsfhp_7qhphq4uhD8AnSdUWaYGK48xMpT8pcVU=w1735-h904-no

DpdC6KN98Fy3mXrquAmUiZ5_HOGKpCBx_PDAxf3uew9u8VyHqe9O152KnXwQVNCWKqOMPIzxfHPVz3cvsb44fP2Tf9_VmsdnPRFtK3baH2eULGxNUoWuZ4hl9Oi7xases8CjtO1WtIqVONdrrX_3IzZ9SB90_6kb_95TyRLhFqpX59Vk5zvzGinDTIFDpB_UIa6nFzxo5tMt4TUhT1hupQJcLBnjkC0jEjLlaYRHFrhbpV0G1L3gM8WQgVBsmZ8bGJWxAsmCo7JhU_zEX4Eahlq7_HSxe8984REqfy6gXbo2SascEgtnMWAP3hY0gYYxTp3xCLLdxgPYb2-WtFlzLNaJ5sztFvSvO5HI4flURLYFw1W6LlRQFoxa8g5_vcMRgHNqQBjYXThLaY-uiQCS44DqgdbPyiO3XNY6k1VkfkyHiiRlcLr1LhYhCkvV0Qs3u_558oPFibVAj5Ya2_pkRykUNlgfKiiaFGCeWw3cKZrePeB5ptlDsiHFFqbzO5WBhOI_djNW-uqj8OZMtR7_UVjufRlGDC2cJ7w-bc4mechiJXX3jLOKbMiqPxv1yVDp4NxeLxVyvD5BF_7T34dDyuaIVoG-_it3pHczgwAvZF6aqMfVWUwrj2NaVe7AFu1wDAKSpw7J_SDZ8Q5I54CIg7Mkay-X_UB900-bmXoW0iyv_enTBeTgMOQ=w1204-h903-no

• Thanks 1

That's great thanks for posting.  That looks pretty achievable.  To be honest my main concern has been that bend where it bolts to the car.  Yours looks like something I could achieve on my workbench though.  

No problem, the biggest thing to look out for is how that bolted joint is supported on the back side, so if you beef that up you should be good to go!

• Thanks 1