Coolant overflow container

wvumtnbkr

Soooo, I don't have a coolant overflow bottle for my radiator.  

What's the best oem overflow container for our type use?

I would like to have one that has a hose in to the bottle and also an overflow hose out if the engine is pushing water out.

The cap is on my radiator, so this isn't one of those pressurized bottles.

Anybody make 1?  Anybody have a cool one they wanna share?

I had one of these circuit sports overflow tanks on my 240sx street car about 12 years ago.  Those cars had notoriously crumbly coolant overflow tanks, and I was happy to find a replacement like this.  Looks like there's a lot of Chinese copies of this design now.  My one gripe is with the little sight glass, seems like it was only readable when it was new. Not being transparent/translucent might be annoying on a race car, but I'm not sure about that. I might give it another shot on my s12 200sx that has a similarly crumbly overflow tank. 

https://www.circuit-sports.com/collections/circuit-sports-aluminum-coolant-reservoir-tanks/products/nissan-240sx-s13-coolant-reservoir-tank

Also, I believe this tank fits all of your criteria. 

Edited by Max

3 hours ago, Max said:

I had one of these circuit sports overflow tanks on my 240sx street car about 12 years ago.  Those cars had notoriously crumbly coolant overflow tanks, and I was happy to find a replacement like this.  Looks like there's a lot of Chinese copies of this design now.  My one gripe is with the little sight glass, seems like it was only readable when it was new. Not being transparent/translucent might be annoying on a race car, but I'm not sure about that. I might give it another shot on my s12 200sx that has a similarly crumbly overflow tank. 

https://www.circuit-sports.com/collections/circuit-sports-aluminum-coolant-reservoir-tanks/products/nissan-240sx-s13-coolant-reservoir-tank

Also, I believe this tank fits all of your criteria. 

This will be charged points I believe.

2 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

This will be charged points I believe.

That's a bummer. Not worth spending points on. Is there a reason not to use a good condition oem rx7 tank? 

If that's not an option, and you have the room to mount a generic one like Tim posted, that might be your best bet. 

The rx7 one is real doll hairs.  Like 75$ for a supposed good used one that is probably cracked anyway.

We tried a generic one and they last about a race it seems.

I was hoping for a newer OEM one that was available.

@bbaker480 I don't remember if you like yours and what it's from.

I will probably go with @mendersuggestion!

48 minutes ago, mender said:

The engine is already set up for it...

Does this really have anything to do with the engine?  Serious question.  

I figured I just run the hose to the radiator cap nipple on the radiator.

• Like 1

Trust the statement to stay OEM and I think they are all plastic, you will get points for anything metal.

Take a look at the knowledge base and you will see why.

The stock Miata would work at you ask Rob and we have had ours in the car since we started racing and never had an issue. If you need one I can bring it along to NCM

if I can find the spare one in the parts pile.

4 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You're correct, but I'm actually with Mender on this one.  Our car didn't start life with a pressurised overflow, but I'm considering installing one.  Be nice to know how much water is in the system without having to open the cap when it's hot.

5 minutes ago, 55mini said:

I've actually read that answer, and I see that alloy tanks are points, but there is no explanation as for "why".

I have no plan to install an alloy tank, I'm just curious.

Metal was explained as it is a performance change from plastics, no cracking with metal. My comment was it was really more of a safety deal for me

but that was not the first, performance out weighed the safety and it got 5 points. 

18 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Trust the statement to stay OEM and I think they are all plastic, you will get points for anything metal.

The stock Miata would work at you ask Rob and we have had ours in the car since we started racing and never had an issue. If you need one I can bring it along to NCM

if I can find the spare one in the parts pile.

That would be fantastic!  Lemme know what you might want for it.

13 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Metal was explained as it is a performance change from plastics, no cracking with metal. My comment was it was really more of a safety deal for me

but that was not the first, performance out weighed the safety and it got 5 points. 

Makes sense.

Small benefit, small point hit.

5 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

small point hit.

Really? So let me ask is a true performance hub worth a 2.5 point hit verses a water tank at 5, just curious on your thoughts.

I would agree to points just think when you look at those two for comparison the value is a little out of range. 

Edited by 55mini

19 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Really? So let me ask is a true performance hub worth a 2.5 point hit verses a water tank at 5, just curious on your thoughts.

I would agree to points just think when you look at those two for comparison the value is a little out of range. 

When compared yes.  But that's because hubs are too low, not the tank too high.  But that's a debate for another thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The Malibu uses the coolant tank as a reservoir and the "rad cap" is on the tank. It self-bleeds while the engine is running to keep the rad completely full.

Here's a diagram of the stock system (2007 with LY7 but similar to LX9):

0605242Z01-006.JPG

The hose that comes off the bottom of the tank goes to the thermostat housing (left side/front), and the small line that goes in at the top of the tank comes from the connector from the upper rad hose to the right side of the engine (rear). That allows any air that is in the system to vent to the coolant tank and be replaced with coolant. You can check the coolant level of the system with a glance.

It worked very well with the front rad/mid-engine Fiero, eliminating the need for the tedious method of getting air out of the stock Fiero system and allowing all the engine levels to be checked at the back of the car. You might not have that option with your RWD fittings. 

Edited by mender

• Technical Advisory Committee

Just a few thoughts...

Question: Can a plastic radiator tank make it through 1 champcar race?

Question: Can the driver actively do anything differently to prolong or shorten the life of a plastic radiator tank?

Question: Does the fact tunaslapper A has a plastic radiator tank affect the race strategy tunaslapper A's team executes to complete a race?

Hypothesis:  Plastic radiator tanks are only likely to fail if they are not replaced on a periodic basis

Hypothesis:  Plastic radiator tanks are more likely to fail from old age than metal radiator tanks

Hypothesis:  Spending money on a periodic basis to replace the plastic radiator tank will effectively equal out the chance of failure between Metal/Plastic tanks