2020 Harris Hill Spring race recap

I had a great time volunteering (not sure why they call it that, I got paid) on Sunday even though I probably wasn't the most favored person in the pits.

Lots of fast cars and great driving. I watched the battle between the Ecotec and K24 Miata near the end that was very interesting. 

Thanks @Jay Mauney for taking the time to show me the ropes. 

Mustangs with fuel cells: Please find a better way to fill them. Leaving 1/2 gal of fuel in the bowl that was created by the top of the cell and the square tube cell mounting structure with no where for it to drain is NOT cool. Thanks for being patient with me when I made you mop it up before setting off.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

I had a great time volunteering (not sure why they call it that, I got paid) on Sunday even though I probably wasn't the most favored person in the pits.

Lots of fast cars and great driving. I watched the battle between the Ecotec and K24 Miata near the end that was very interesting. 

Thanks @Jay Mauney for taking the time to show me the ropes. 

Mustangs with fuel cells: Please find a better way to fill them. Leaving 1/2 gal of fuel in the bowl that was created by the top of the cell and the square tube cell mounting structure with no where for it to drain is NOT cool. Thanks for being patient with me when I made you mop it up before setting off.

Thanks for volunteering your time, and for helping stay strict in the pits with regards to safety.

2 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

NP. Sorry we didn't get to meet up. 2 Audis were out there and both made it to impound. Was one of them yours?

Unfortunately not my cars.  We had a great test day on Friday, but the car wasn't fully race ready in time for this weekend.  We're hoping COTA is open again in June,

We performed poorly but still had an absolute blast. The Harris Hill champcar event is my favorite race event.

Tip of the day: Don't use fancy relay based kill switches.

Second tip of the day: Don't confuse hot with cold tire pressure

Third tip of the day: Don't have your clock in the car be 15 ahead of time, might make drivers pit early...

Fourth tip of the day: Have compressed air handy if you have a leak in a tire

Fifth tip of the day: Make sure your seat belt strap doesn't get stuck behind the seat

Sixth tip of the day: Don't run out of fuel

Edited by turbogrill
  • Like 2

We finished 8th on Saturday, and 5th on Sunday.

But we have never had to race so hard!

Tip of the hat to all you Harris Hill racers - good, hard, clean racing all day, both days.

Makes us all faster when everyone steps up.  Super cool weekend of racing.

Thank you ChampCar, corner workers, safety crew, and fellow competitors!!

• Like 1

Report from Bradley Fighting Vehicle,  the yellow Miata with the racing stripes #997!

A very strong showing this weekend from our team.

Saturday: 

We were on pace all day on Saturday, battling for the class A lead with the #800 and #256. The car had great pace, but could do only a 1:45 stint time. So, we had an extra stop to make. We tried to get creative, and pit during the hot pull period around 1 hr into the race. That put us 2 laps down, but we had the pace to make it up and be in the mix.

Unfortunately, our Rival S tires were giving up, and we decided to pit with one hour to go, when we had a 2 lap lead, swap to our backup set, and hopefully make time up with the new set, and still be in P1. The prospects looked good. We made a good stop, and then the car wouldn't start. Turned out to be an ECU power issue, but that was the end of our day. We were gutted.

Sunday: 

Fresh day, fresh start, and the opening stint was strong and we were fighting nose to tail with #116. They had great pace, but we were just able to hang with them in the dry. But as the rain hit us, they did a much better job in the wet, and got a lead of 2 laps which we couldn't close. Eventually, as the race went on, the fight was to protect P2 in our last stint with #800 closing in fast at 2 sec/lap. They caught us with about 3 laps to go, and it was up to our team owner Doug who was driving at that point, to keep them behind.

Watching those 3 laps was the best experience I have had in Champcar, very good battling, side by side in the last lap, but we protected P2 by half a car width at the line.

All said and done, a fantastic weekend, mixed experiences, but we left the track all smiles on our faces, having gotten more than our money's worth.

Edited by Karkai6
  • Like 5

Bogan Dunny Racing - Blue Miata - Car #256 - Race Report

First race weekend together as a team / with the car.  And probably the best race weekend we’ve all had in terms of fun factor / competition.

The team took the “buy a SM roller” route in December - with a short term plan to stuff one teammate's matching Miata drivetrain in the car to sort out electronics, suspension, fueling, etc - while sourcing a team drivetrain, fire system, and other associated bits.

A series of used engine purchases, 5 total pulls / plants over the run-up to the race, and a last minute thrash seemed to work out ok in the end......on the original “borrowed drivetrain”.

Saturday:

Started P12 on grid, driving as high as P5 on the first stint - car felt great.  It was quickly obvious though that we were well over plan on fuel consumption, and in short we ended up stopping “on the hour” for most of the day to make 2hr driver stints.  Saturday became a game of driving up for position, followed by dropping down the field about every hour.

Finished Saturday P2 in class / P5 overall, due in part to the luck of car #997 noted above.  Left the day believing we also had pace for P1 in class, if we were able to sort the fuel issues.

Sunday:

With confidence that we had at least temporarily sorted a “slosh and burp” type fuel issue, we started P11 on grid, in mixed conditions.

First stint again went great, driving up as high as P3 overall.  Unfortunately, some contact (wheel on wheel) with another competitor, and the resulting penalty dropped is back to P18, and multiple laps down early in the race.

We were able to make a lot of time up in the late morning rain periods, and drove up as high as P6 overall by 1pm.

By the end of the day on Sunday, all team members had turned their best laps of the weekend, and all within 0.5s of each other.

Not a perfect performance, but pretty great for a first race weekend, bringing the car home P4 in class / P10 overall on Sunday, with a small Saturday Race Credit bonus to help toward the next one when the world returns to normal 😂

Fun racing with you guys out there #997 Bradley, #800 Touchstone, and #273 Hacura 👍

CF3878CD-51C3-4278-9CC3-0DA79DBA4831.thumb.jpeg.109470c11bf86f4bb3177c5720c41368.jpeg

84D01B2D-068B-42E0-9D5C-ADCFD662FD50.thumb.jpeg.10c37cba48e918e25cb53d7e9d65b12c.jpeg

Edited by Solo_S14
Font
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...