How wide should I go?

turbogrill

Hi,

We need to buy a new set of wheels to our NC Miata. We are currently running 17x9 with 245s on them.

Konig is now selling 17x10 wheels that "fit". 

Do you think that would be overkill? Our car is 2366 pounds full of fuel no driver. We have more power than the NA/NB but probably lower than the BMWs and the other shenanigan cars.

Just now, enginerd said:

Overkill

I would have to agree with you here. At over 9 in wide you start to compromise the strength of the wheel.

Just now, CBraden said:

17x10 255 seems to be pretty common answer (also what we run 2600 lb car, and get great wear).

Ran 17x9 255 RS3/4 on my S2000 for years and it was a winning combo for sure.

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

I have found that wheel width seems to matter more than tire width.  Tire width just makes the tires feel sqwirmy on a narrower rim.

I thought that would happen when I went from 245s to 255s on the 9in wheels, but it didn't feel squirmy at all just all the gripz. If mustang take off wheels weren't 4 for $75 I'd go to 10s. 

I wanted to run the 285/30-18s RE71rs on an NC.  Since it so much tire I think they would last a couple races and the diameter is roughly stock.   I actually bought a set of the 285 RS4s to test on our NA, but we didn't have time to make 5 lug hubs yet to fit 18" rims.

We've ran 275 on 18x11s and ran into problems with cracks on the inside of the rims. The wheels and tires looked just like the 245s on 10s above. They worked great, but are prone to curb damage as there is no tire protecting the rim edge. 

If you drive perfect then you probably have no issues, but they won't take abuse like a properly fitted tire/wheel combo. We ran half a race with just 1st & 4th gear so were abusing the curbs more then usual, but we didn't have issues with the smaller offset wheel/tires which full covered the rim. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

I wanted to run the 285/30-18s RE71rs on an NC.  Since it so much tire I think they would last a couple races and the diameter is roughly stock.   I actually bought a set of the 285 RS4s to test on our NA, but we didn't have time to make 5 lug hubs yet to fit 18" rims.

If you give up on the idea and decide to sell the tires let me know.

11 minutes ago, Burningham said:

If you give up on the idea and decide to sell the tires let me know.

I gave them to C&J Racing for their Camaro.  I was going to race with them at Road America but they had some car trouble. I got some time in on the test day so i figured it was a fair trade.

1 hour ago, veris said:

We've ran 275 on 18x11s and ran into problems with cracks on the inside of the rims. The wheels and tires looked just like the 245s on 10s above. They worked great, but are prone to curb damage as there is no tire protecting the rim edge. 

If you drive perfect then you probably have no issues, but they won't take abuse like a properly fitted tire/wheel combo. We ran half a race with just 1st & 4th gear so were abusing the curbs more then usual, but we didn't have issues with the smaller offset wheel/tires which full covered the rim. 

What car was this on? Weight? Was it only on front or rear? What were wheel offsets? Sorry so many questions, but this is a change we have been looking at (because we just can't seem to spend enough on tires in a 17 - right).

We have never had any issue with cracking on 17x10's with 255/40 tires but we stay off curbs whenever possible.

2900lbs with driver. Front wheel drive offset tire sizes. 275R35 18x11 et25  & 255R40 17x19 et35   

Driver side front developed 3 hairline cracks. Other front side no cracks but bent and out of round. Obviously from curbs as you could see damage from curb strikes. 

I haven't had any issues with 285R30 or 285R35 18x11. Both are square on the rim and haven't had incidents. 

• Thanks 1