New Truck, Gas VS Diesel Fuel milage

Kicking around the idea of picking up a new pickup. Currently running a 07 Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins that somehow lost all know emissions equipment truck has served me very well. 95% of the miles i put on are with trailers behind it, most are heavier that 7,000lbs so I’ve leaned twords a diesel.

Who has a gasser what is your milage towing the race trailer, who has a NEW Diesel and what do you get with that.

I will not be screwing with the diesel, i went through that game, my 07 is studded, aftermarket turbo, custom tune whole ball of wax and I’m done with that game. I’m an old man now i want a super quiet ride and don’t need stupid power.

Prices are stupid though....

• Technical Advisory Committee

Gkuhn how many miles are on your Dodge ? 

My 03 3500 just touched 300,000 as I returned from Kansas yesterday pulling its usual 27' enclosed trailer. I have owned a lot of trucks over the years towing with all of them but none compare to the Cummins for power and economy.  Stay with what you have ride on .....

Edited by Ray Franck

Diesel will definately give you better mileage.  The newer models from either of the big three have their pluses and minuses.  They sure will be quiet, comfortable, dependable, and provide the best mileage.  Look for the model that fits you.  Best price?  Color? Interior? All will work great.  All have issues for sure but factory warranty and dealer can be responsible for that.  

Diesel and don't even think twice about it.     IF you can hold out, rumor is that Dodge maybe be getting Allisons trans soon.   It's either gonna be that or the ZF thats similar to what is in the Demon/Redeye.   If you can get a Cummins/Allison trans Dodge, Ford and Chevy can stop making HD trucks.   I'm holding out to replace my '14 2500 with another 2500/3500 single wheel IF the Allison is announced.   Or, if I lose my patience I'll get a TRX.  

• Like 1

For as little as we tow running a few weekends a year, the fuel cost is the least of your concerns. 

I moved to a diesel, but to be honest gas would have worked as well. In reality you are buying:

• Enough chassis weight and wheelbase so the tail doesn't wag the dog
  • Enough reserve brake capacity you don't end up wiping out minivans when your trailer brakes heat up
  • Enough transmission that you make it to your destination 

I moved from a 1500 chevy pickup to a 3500 chevy pickup based ramp truck. Night and day difference with the stability, braking power with trailer brakes off, and 4l60e grenade gearbox vs an Allison trans. It could have been steam powered for all I cared. 

Lots of diesels fail in the trans department, and I would take a gas motored Allison trans over some of the crappy 90's and early 2000s diesel trans (dodge comes to mind). Takes alot of fuel to pay for a trans rebuild......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, Team Infiniti said:

02 gmc 6.0L gas, utility body, extra cab, bone stock, 9 MPG towing open trailer.  All in, 4 people, tools, scooter, spares, trailer, truck, race car...16,000lbs . Truck w/tools + empty trailer, 1 person, 9750lbs

The Chevy 6.0 of this era is indestructible. What you pay for in gas, you save on repairs and upfront cost (A nice truck can be had for $5k all day). 

The thought of paying for diesel repair costs has kept me a gasser my whole life. I am planning a manual trans swap for my 2002 1500HD this coming winter before the 2021 season to freshen her up a bit. The trans is the weak point in this truck if you drive em like an ass.

Edited by KoneKillah
  • Like 2

I've towed with a 2nd gen Cummins (24v) which was stock and abysmally slow and shitty but had torque for days (14mpg). Then a 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi which was honestly great with an open trailer, but the coil springs in the rear were poop with my 24' (<10mpg). Then was my 2002 Duramax which had plenty of power but a slippy allison (12mpg with tune). Now I use whatever Enterprise has on the lot which lucky for me (at my Detroit location) is always new model year crew cab diesels, Ford or Dodge. The 2019 cummins got 10.5mpg with me doing 70-80mph to Pitt and back. 

• Like 2

• Members

I looked at both, have driven both and did the math.  Unless you are towing a very very heavy trailer it does not make sense to buy a diesel for me. The cool factor of having one is nice. The extra capacity to tow up a hill at full speed sure is nice. It is just not needed. 

I have a 2013 F350 dually 6.2 gas. I get 8.5mph towing (8-9+ depending on how I drive speed and at hills) a 32' enclosed 12K loaded trailer. When towed with a Cummins we got 10.5-11. The gas cost can be 40-75 cents more a gallon on the road. We figured it is about 20% more in fuel costs for diesel, but it saved 20% on MPG, a wash.  I did not included the def fluid either, but that adds costs also. 

The kicker for me was the cost of the truck and what I could afford. An F350 diesel, same year, options, miles, ect, what about 10K+ more used. I got the most truck I could, 15K budget, for my money and I am super happy with it and glad I have it.

If you have X budget I would say get the best gas truck you can for your money that is gas.  I have had an 7.3 ford diesel and a 6.2 gas, so I have owned and used both.

Also, a diesel is going to cost you much much more maintenance money long term. Injectors, turbos, ect. There is a lot more to go wrong and the cost will be there to fix those items, plus if you have a budget you will be getting a much older truck that will have more problems for the same money you spend.

Just my 2 cents. The diesel vs gas debate is one of those that polarizes people based on options.

• Like 5

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I looked at both, have driven both and did the math.  Unless you are towing a very very heavy trailer it does not make sense to buy a diesel for me. The cool factor of having one is nice. The extra capacity to tow up a hill at full speed sure is nice. It is just not needed. 

I have a 2013 F350 dually 6.2 gas. I get 8.5mph towing (8-9+ depending on how I drive speed and at hills) a 32' enclosed 12K loaded trailer. When towed with a Cummins we got 10.5-11. The gas cost can be 40-75 cents more a gallon on the road. We figured it is about 20% more in fuel costs for diesel, but it saved 20% on MPG, a wash.  I did not included the def fluid either, but that adds costs also. 

The kicker for me was the cost of the truck and what I could afford. An F350 diesel, same year, options, miles, ect, what about 10K+ more used. I got the most truck I could, 15K budget, for my money and I am super happy with it and glad I have it.

If you have X budget I would say get the best gas truck you can for your money that is gas.  I have had an 7.3 ford diesel and a 6.2 gas, so I have owned and used both.

Also, a diesel is going to cost you much much more maintenance money long term. Injectors, turbos, ect. There is a lot more to go wrong and the cost will be there to fix those items, plus if you have a budget you will be getting a much older truck that will have more problems for the same money you spend.

Just my 2 cents. The diesel vs gas debate is one of those that polarizes people based on options.

This is spot on with my experience as well. If Troy and I have come to the same conclusion, it must be correct! 

• Haha 2

Troy, as I'm sure you aware from our many face to face encounters, I agree with 95% of what you express.  As I'm sure Most people on here do.

The other 5% we are WAY different on.

Nobody is gonna go on the internet and just post about everything we agree on

It's funner this way!  And sometimes we generally agree. Just not on the method.  Lolzers.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

20 hours ago, IPF Racing said:

I've towed with a 2nd gen Cummins (24v) which was stock and abysmally slow and shitty but had torque for days (14mpg). Then a 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi which was honestly great with an open trailer, but the coil springs in the rear were poop with my 24' (<10mpg). Then was my 2002 Duramax which had plenty of power but a slippy allison (12mpg with tune). Now I use whatever Enterprise has on the lot which lucky for me (at my Detroit location) is always new model year crew cab diesels, Ford or Dodge. The 2019 cummins got 10.5mpg with me doing 70-80mph to Pitt and back. 

This 1000 times. The cheapest and most reliable rig is the one that's not yours. Renting is the way to go if you only need it to tow the race car. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoneKillah said:

This 1000 times. The cheapest and most reliable rig is the one that's not yours. Renting is the way to go if you only need it to tow the race car. 

And your teammates get to pay for it lol. But seriously my 2014 Caprice has a hitch on it and works great as a parts runner when need be. Except maybe we 12 RS4s show up today. Other than that though, the $450 for 750 miles or and extra $100 for unlimited miles over a 5 day period is insanely cheap. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IPF Racing said:

And your teammates get to pay for it lol. But seriously my 2014 Caprice has a hitch on it and works great as a parts runner when need be. Except maybe we 12 RS4s show up today. Other than that though, the $450 for 750 miles or and extra $100 for unlimited miles over a 5 day period is insanely cheap. 

If I didn't already have a beater HD I got a screaming deal on I would rent for sure. You always end up in a brand new $100k 3500 with heated seats and bluetooth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

I really like this idea. I poked around on the Enterprise site to look at the details. It mentions the possibility of additional charges if you plan to tow. What's that all about?

1 minute ago, B-Rad said:

I really like this idea. I poked around on the Enterprise site to look at the details. It mentions the possibility of additional charges if you plan to tow. What's that all about?

I think that varies by location. My location doesn't charge anything more for it and actually there price is usually a few bucks less than the online reservation price. And at this point you only need a 3/4 ton since they can tow a million lbs. They all have 2.5in receivers and Enterprise provides the sleeve to 2in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2018 F350, this is racing and power is KING and the ride and comfort is great for my old bones. As Scotty said power that does not quit, ask Aaron he enjoys running behind me

in the draft as he pulls near 50MPG. His only issue is when I pull out to pass he can't keep up, even with the trailer fully loaded.

Mileage is about what was stated unless we tow a little too fast but we would never do that.

Oops forgot it is a 6.7L Diesel if you could not figure that out.

Edited by 55mini
addition