How much water can a modern engine handle?

A buddy of mine is stuck on his way back home with an ill running late model GM truck that the dealer can't diagnose.   It's been running odd before he left for home and was told by a shade tree mechanic "fuel filter".   The only fuel filter is in the tank so he balked at doing that on spec, he made it from FLA to SC and broke down and had that done, made it as far as the next dealer now they're saying water in the fuel, so dropping the tank (no codes nothing on their diagnostics).

Back in the day with carburetors that was a real thing, but I thought GM touted that their computers could adjust mixture based on conditions, and enthonal fuel has a significant amount of moisture in it to begin with.   If there was water in the tank 2-3 fills ago surely it would get better over time not worse?

Am I out to lunch?

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

What year?

Should deal with a bit if in suspension but wont do well sucking a puddle, is he sure there was no fuel mistakes involving diesel?

I can't remember, late teens at the oldest, working via email.   Maybe it could be contaminated with diesel, water or salad dressing but if that's balking ignition wouldn't o2, detonation or fuel pressure or something throw a code?

1 minute ago, mcewena said:

I can't remember, late teens at the oldest, working via email.   Maybe it could be contaminated with diesel, water or salad dressing but if that's balking ignition wouldn't o2, detonation or fuel pressure or something throw a code?

Some time in the teens GM gas went GDI, there should be codes for low pressure or lean, if fuel pump/filter. Its really hard to focus on a issue over the internet.:unsure:

I say Diesel because it will fool all but the most seasoned techs as everything shows good but the fuel struggles to work, it may even have a litttle smoke, fuel sample will smell off but not conclusive, have green tinge, fail to evaporate when poured on concrete, when lit burn out before evaporating etc. and yes it will linger longer then one could imagine making it run differently (worse) when low.

OK not as new as I thought and I guess they're more confident of the water diagnosis now:

I rarely leave tank below half,
Never used diesel
They say one of the fuel rails was full of water

Last gas I bought was BP midgrade which is probably not a big seller so that would be my guess. It also wasn't a major location.

However I've had a stutter for a few weeks which might still be there. They are test driving it right now.

Fuel in the rail makes sense, Just looked at a 07, The one here has a  returnless  fuel system, filter in tank, they never go bad, fuel pump gets changed with it. 

Dump something in the tank that  breaks up water, ultimately the fuel pump needs to be run until empty, hopefully you’ll get enough out but in reality the tank needs to be dropped, dried, line blown.

• Like 3