Max

New Team, New Car Build. '88 200sx V6 - OR

Hello, 

I've been racing with LDRL for the past few years at PIR in my friends Miata, and Chumpcar before that. Unfortunately, I had an irresistible desire to punish myself by building and owning a car.  I've been a life long hopeless Nissan fan boy, and was a Nissan & ASE master technician in my previous career. I'm also very budget minded, realizing that if I don't do this on the cheap then I probably wouldn't be able to do it at all.  I was a volunteer at the inaugural Chumpcar race in 2009 at PIR and was completely sold on the idea of "$500" race cars ever since.  Fast forward through college, marriage, 3 kids, and 10 years, and I finally was able to bring home this bad boy.  
20190120_131056.jpg 
1988 Nissan 200sx SE V6.

After about a year of working, quietly, in 30 minute increments after the kids go to bed, the car is nearly prepared (mechanically) to see the race track. 

20200209_120324.jpg  20200209_120402.jpg  I built the car myself, with the exception of the bending the main hoop, pillar bars, and roof bar by @cagedruss at Racetech.  Russ has helped a ton through this build.  He got me a good deal on the DOM tube & bending for the cage, a harness, a fire system, and invaluable advice.  Thanks Russ!  I learned a ton through the process.  Although building my own car probably didn't end up being the most cost effective option, I couldn't have had it any other way.  How am I supposed to lose sleep and stress endlessly about every detail without having gone through the entire car myself?

20190921_210708.jpg  20190922_125827.jpg  20190922_125852.jpgThe car goes to PIR for track night on May 15th (if it's not delayed by corona virus), and if it doesn't have a major failure I will register for the June PIR LD race.  I don't know if I will be racing with Champcar, as there are no races in the PNW anymore that I'm aware of.  My first race was the last one here at PIR when only 12 cars showed up.  Wanted to post here anyway, because this forum has been a big help for me getting started.  No team name or number yet.  I'm majorly lacking creativity and wit in that category... and yes, painting the car one color is on the to-do list! Will be going with the Silvia Super Silhouette livery. 

image.thumb.png.16d2d9c7bd0c99be9f7220eb4f96cbc9.png

Encouragement, advice, and/or constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for reading!
-Max

• Like 6

Nicely done @Max, and thanks for sharing. 

Many of us understand low budgets, little time, and having the desire to build your own car. 

The pics look like you have a lot to be proud of. Best wishes with the car now. Enjoy!

17 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Nicely done @Max, and thanks for sharing. 

Many of us understand low budgets, little time, and having the desire to build your own car. 

The pics look like you have a lot to be proud of. Best wishes with the car now. Enjoy!

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate it.  And I appreciate the budget attitude of a lot of guys on this forum.  I'm thrilled to read about top teams still using cut springs, junkyard engines, and stock plastic radiators.  Lots of people flock to these budget series because they'd be excluded from motorsports that require built engines, expensive suspension, and new & upgraded everything. 

20 hours ago, morganf said:

I say DOHC swap and turbo it then have a VG30DET for 200pts

That is a flawless plan!  Goal right now is to not fail badly in the first race.  I realize that this car will need some more power to be competitive someday, and the VG30DE engine would be a great start.  It would be a massive upgrade for sure.  Not sure i'll be up for the turbo though 😂

25 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Max,

You need to PM  @Mike McCourt his 200SX looked great at Road Atlanta in February.   It both handled & had power. (& was very well driven.) 

Thanks Ben, I've been following their build since the start! The car is awesome.  Funny, I only know of 2 of these cars racing in  CC/LDR/Lemons.  One is that BMW powered S12, and one is an LS2 powered S12 here on the west coast.  

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grufton said:

Is that a highway scale in the first few pics?

Yes, I stopped there on my way home from purchasing the car.  It weighed 2800 Lbs.  When I finished the roll cage (and removing some things), that's the first place I drove it.  It weighed 2700 lbs on the second trip. I'm sure the scales are not very accurate, but it was the same scale at least.  Those pictures are a year apart, but it would take a close look to see the differences (cage, seat, ride height, wheels, etc.).

3 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Congrats on the build!

Can you get wider tires? If not check out http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_lightweight.html, they can make 15x10 steelies in any offset and bolt pattern.I had to do it to my datsun. 21lbs so not the lighest but it's the only $100 option for us with odd offsets....

I don't have any 16" options other than 22/50/16's to put on these Z32 wheels.  LDR went to a spec tire, so that would be 225/50/16 RS4's unless I change wheels.  I would have preferred a wide 15 to use 225 or 245's. Part of my Z32 decision was due to them being cheap, somewhat wide stock wheels (16x7.5"), and 6 of them cost me $150. Again I had to be super budget conscious to make this build happen.  I thought hard about those bassett wheels, but man the reviews were ALL over the place! If I heard some teams here that vouch for that product in this type of racing, I would probably go for some 15x10's when I do decide to change wheels. Sounds like 245's on 15x10's are the hot setup for a car similar in power/weight to mine, like an e30. What wheel and tire size did you use on your datsun?

Edited by Max

Quarantined...

Decided to do a thing.  So many mistakes, it became comical. 

20200405_192527.jpg

20200405_200612.jpg

20200405_192455.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, Max said:

Yes, I stopped there on my way home from purchasing the car.  It weighed 2800 Lbs.  When I finished the roll cage (and removing some things), that's the first place I drove it.  It weighed 2700 lbs on the second trip. I'm sure the scales are not very accurate, but it was the same scale at least.  Those pictures are a year apart, but it would take a close look to see the differences (cage, seat, ride height, wheels, etc.).

I don't have any 16" options other than 22/50/16's to put on these Z32 wheels.  LDR went to a spec tire, so that would be 225/50/16 RS4's unless I change wheels.  I would have preferred a wide 15 to use 225 or 245's. Part of my Z32 decision was due to them being cheap, somewhat wide stock wheels (16x7.5"), and 6 of them cost me $150. Again I had to be super budget conscious to make this build happen.  I thought hard about those bassett wheels, but man the reviews were ALL over the place! If I heard some teams here that vouch for that product in this type of racing, I would probably go for some 15x10's when I do decide to change wheels. Sounds like 245's on 15x10's are the hot setup for a car similar in power/weight to mine, like an e30. What wheel and tire size did you use on your datsun?

Those are 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, right?

Jeep wheels are 15 x8 and cheap as crap.  We ran those for years before moving up to 15 x 10.

15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Those are 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, right?

Jeep wheels are 15 x8 and cheap as crap.  We ran those for years before moving up to 15 x 10.

Thanks for the tip. That's a bit out of my area of expertise, as I've always been focused on Nissan stuff.  I will look into those wheels, any particular years/models I should be looking at?  What 15x10's did you go with? 

Ok those look better than I was expecting, and they come in 15x8?  Appropriate design for the style/age of the car because that totally matters.

Let us know how those 10" wheels turn out, looks like a pretty good option. 

On my car I would need some pretty gnarly front flares to get 10's to fit.  As it is, I need a +20mm spacer on the front to fit 7.5" wheels.  The space between the strut tube and the front fenders is not friendly to wide wheels/tires. 

Those particular wheels may be 15 x7.  I don't recall exactly.   

There are a ton that are 15 x 8.  Some have caliper clearance issues...

I use the 5 x 115 (114.3 or 4.5") bolt pattern because older tuner wheels are cheap. 

Thanks guys.  @wvumtnbkr are you using factory RX7 calipers? 

I guess this is a question for anyone...  Are people going to generic wilwood dynalite 4-piston calipers for serviceability and pad options? I've thought about that.  Pretty sure my calipers are rare, so I'm going to have to switch to something more common like q45 or 300zx brakes anyway.  But also wilwood dynalites are not very expensive, wonder if that's a good route to go and make custom brackets for. Don't know what kind of clearance problems you'd have with 15's though.

2 hours ago, Max said:

clearance problems you'd have with 15's though

We run Wilwoods on the front of our miata and have 15" and clearance is tight, you have to be careful in wheel weight placement or the caliper cleans off the weights.

We also have very large rotors to be fair, so if you are careful in your choices they can fit.

As for any issues with the calipers, they have been rock solid and have required no repairs in two years. We flush fluid once a year.

3 hours ago, Max said:

Thanks guys.  @wvumtnbkr are you using factory RX7 calipers? 

I guess this is a question for anyone...  Are people going to generic wilwood dynalite 4-piston calipers for serviceability and pad options? I've thought about that.  Pretty sure my calipers are rare, so I'm going to have to switch to something more common like q45 or 300zx brakes anyway.  But also wilwood dynalites are not very expensive, wonder if that's a good route to go and make custom brackets for. Don't know what kind of clearance problems you'd have with 15's though.

Yessir.  Factory 4 piston aluminum calipers.  I have thought of buying "bigger" pads and cutting them to the shape of the rx7 pads....  That requires work.

13 minutes ago, 55mini said:

We run Wilwoods on the front of our miata and have 15" and clearance is tight, you have to be careful in wheel weight placement or the caliper cleans off the weights.

We also have very large rotors to be fair, so if you are careful in your choices they can fit.

As for any issues with the calipers, they have been rock solid and have required no repairs in two years. We flush fluid once a year.

Thats great, first hand accounts are very helpful.  Just to be clear are we talking about the regular wilwood dynalite? I might look into fitting these over the winter. 

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

Yessir.  Factory 4 piston aluminum calipers.  I have thought of buying "bigger" pads and cutting them to the shape of the rx7 pads....  That requires work.

Well I assume they're half decent to begin with if they're 4-piston... like the Z32 brakes. 

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

As someone that gave up on z32 calipers, go wilwood.

Good to know! Thank you. 

Generally, is this the type of caliper I should be going for? I realize they come in a few sizes...

https://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/120-11576/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwj7v0BRDOARIsAGh37ir3CIK4-vnrstPewGDkfnfLQqmovRMSbwcx1Pau2ATBWvzd4RaCDeEaAqVoEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, Max said:

Good to know! Thank you. 

Generally, is this the type of caliper I should be going for? I realize they come in a few sizes...

https://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/120-11576/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwj7v0BRDOARIsAGh37ir3CIK4-vnrstPewGDkfnfLQqmovRMSbwcx1Pau2ATBWvzd4RaCDeEaAqVoEALw_wcB

Ditto on the z32s especially the chinesium rockauto "reman" ones not worth the trouble always leaking after 24hrs. Wilwoods are so much easier long term.

Edited by morganf

9 hours ago, Max said:

Good to know! Thank you. 

I really want to go to something like these on my stock rotors.  Those are for rotors WAY thicker than my stock ones.

Appreciate the help everyone! Good to know, $130/caliper is very reasonable (may be cheaper than the drift taxed z32 calipers). Like @wvumtnbkr says the rotor thickness is important.  But they're listed as available in all different sizes.  Rotor thicknesses of .5", .81", 1.25" etc... hopefully those come with an allowable "range" that your stock rotor can fit into.