Max

New Team, New Car Build. '88 200sx V6 - OR

Definitely. Very easy to get distracted and chase bells and whistles. Thankfully I have been able to race a miata once a year for the last 4 years, and it really snaps me back to reality. It changed my perception of what a "race car" needs to be for this kind of series. As far as mods it has spec miata coilovers and a torsen, and that's it. So basic and yet we've had a reasonable amount of success with it. 

I also find that getting back to the track for a race or track day helps to switch focus back to car prep that *needs* to be done instead of extras.

Still happy to have the lap timer though 😁

Minor updates: 

I'm happy to report that my handling problems have been mostly resolved! Don't know if it was lowering the car another inch, significantly increasing caster, significantly increasing front camber, taking out the rear toe-in, or all of the above, but man the car drives the best it ever has! It really feels like its on rails, although driving it on the road isn't much of a test right now. 

Along with dialing in the alignment and straitening the steering wheel I've also:

Installed rear extended wheel studs and ordered new spacers (right now there's only spacers on the front for clearance to the strut)

Installed a front tow strap

PUT STICKERS ON! 

Rolled fenders more, since the car is lower I've noticed how darn close the fenders are to the tire

Looked at putting on brake cooling air deflectors

Best thing is that there's stickers on it now so it looks more like a race car on my commute to work, instead of just an 80's pile of junk with a lightning bolt on the side. 20200703_204540.thumb.jpg.e7e99197cd2a590d226e4eb6fd7ef8ba.jpg

20200709_215601.thumb.jpg.522e004cb93273db611e30582b6addeb.jpg988289224_camera_preview_L14aZZXPzgS7K4sKzqm0exvih6xDyPc897RBWICJrg.thumb.jpg.86d8e76ff9927a2bde79072eb6a23bb8.jpg

Track night JULY 31st!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Max said:

Looked at putting on brake cooling air deflectors

Consider ducting air from the front.

45 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Consider ducting air from the front.

Definitely will soon. I only have a few pieces of 2.5" brake duct hose, probably not enough for real ducts. I do have these Porsche 911 brake deflectors that a friend gave me, thought they'd be quick and easy and provide some benefit. Though before an endurance race I think ducts will be necessary. 

Just now, Max said:

Definitely will soon. I only have a few pieces of 2.5" brake duct hose, probably not enough for real ducts. I do have these Porsche 911 brake deflectors that a friend gave me, thought they'd be quick and easy and provide some benefit. Though before an endurance race I think ducts will be necessary. 

I have a bunch of pieces of 2.5 hose I can give if you are at a race I am at.

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I have a bunch of pieces of 2.5 hose I can give if you are at a race I am at.

I'd appreciate that but I'm unlikely to make it outside of the Pacific NW. Not a popular area for champcar 😔

Rest assured, I'll get some brake cooling figured out before race day! 

OMGgggg

Drove the car to work today, thought about racing all day at work, then drove the car up to PIR for track night. Car made it through 3, 20 minute sessions, and drove home an hour. 

Wins for tonight:

Completed track night with no major mechanical problems.

Did not have to call wife to come pick me up. 

Cons:

Didn't hit my 1:3x.xx lap time goal (1:41.8). 

Not as fast as I was in a spec miata (1.36.1 best). 

My friends 16 year old son may have beat my time in the Miata I used to drive at his first track day 🤦🏻‍♂️

Total circus, insane traffic, 2-3 clean laps all evening. 

The car has so many handling problems I don't even know where to begin, it's low on grippy, very locky uppy, very 1 tire firey, suspension is very loosey goosey, darty under brakey... 

More to follow. I need to collect my thoughts and narrow down the problems with the car and focus on the main contributors to the lower-than-expected performance. I suspect not-4-year-old RS4's, stiffer rear springs, less aggressive rear pads, and brake ducts would all be helpful. 

Takeaways from tonight should really be that the wins far outweigh the cons. Freaking finally got the car on track that I've been building for 1.5 years and it didn't break down, and it drove home. I can't overstate how thankful I am for that. 

Pics and videos to follow! 

• Like 7

Great first day out! I agree with the need for new tires. We tested our car in May on some nearly bald 1 year old tires and she was all over the place. I was trying to pin down whether the oversteer was worse than the understeer and what may have changed over the winter to kill the handling. Andrew said “it’s the tires, don’t touch a thing, at Nelson it will be good”. So we did just that and with sticker tires at the race she handled great!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Great first day out! I agree with the need for new tires. We tested our car in May on some nearly bald 1 year old tires and she was all over the place. I was trying to pin down whether the oversteer was worse than the understeer and what may have changed over the winter to kill the handling. Andrew said “it’s the tires, don’t touch a thing, at Nelson it will be good”. So we did just that and with sticker tires at the race she handled great!

Exactly!

Do the engine, etc break-in and general troubleshooting with old tires but don't tune the chassis on them. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:48 AM, enginerd said:

You're probably right about this! These tires will need to be used only as emergency spares.  Didn't think it would make that big a difference having old tires... but when you think about it all of the handling problems would be less-bad with good tires. 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:06 AM, mender said:

Exactly!

Do the engine, etc break-in and general troubleshooting with old tires but don't tune the chassis on them. 

Successfully broke in the 240,000+ mile original engine with no trouble 🤣 hilarious, engine was excellent! Chassis... might do some tweaks before the race, but I see your point.  I'll comment more on the handling specifics later, I think some things do need to be addressed in addition to new tires. 

For now... the video!  First crack at editing, not so good at this.  Not good at recording either, as my go pro only got the first session.  The later sessions probably weren't any better though.