Radio doesn't turn on automatically

Hi,

We have a Motorola CM200d wired so it turns off when kill switch is off.

The annoying thing is that you have to manually press the 'on" button on it for it to turn on. So during a stressful pitstop you might forget to press the ON button before the driver drives away. (and some o of our drivers just don't remember that you have to press the button).

Anyone have a clue of how to fix it?

1 hour ago, morganf said:

Mount the radio in a place the driver can reach.

Wouldn't help.....

24 minutes ago, DRVOLKS said:

You could wire it hot it only a .010 amp draw !! I know rules but it a radio not a starter. or add a small battery with a diode on the power feed this will work too.

that is how the manual says to do it, if I have a fuse inline it should be fine

10 minutes ago, Shawn Sampson said:

Wire your car so that during a pit stop the ignition is off, not the master cutoff switch.

I personally like to have the radio wired to the battery. If you do have a issue on the track you can kill the master have still have communcations with the crew...

Hope this helps :)

That is a good point!

3 hours ago, Shawn Sampson said:

Wire your car so that during a pit stop the ignition is off, not the master cutoff switch.

I personally like to have the radio wired to the battery. If you do have a issue on the track you can kill the master have still have communcations with the crew...

Hope this helps :)

Per the rules the kill switch must be off when fueling.

29 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Rules doesn't say that when Kill switch is off radio need to be off

3.14. MASTER ELECTRICAL KILL (CUT-OFF) SWITCH3.14.1. All cars must have a racing-type master electrical kill switch mounted in the center of the dash area of the car (roll cage dash bar) or center console area of the cockpit, accessible to and by the driver while he/she is secured in the driving seat by all seat belts and harnesses. The control or key for this switch should be red and the OFF position should be clearly indicated. Both the main battery circuit and the ignition circuit must be interrupted by the kill switch.

So if you have a secondary battery which powers the radio but nothing else, then I suppose this secondary battery could power the radio during refueling.

Edited by enginerd

My 2 cents...

We run a rechargeable battery for the radio that allows it to be on when the kill switch is off.  We have a charger wired in to the kill switch so when the kill switch is on, it's charging.  When the kill switch is off, it's running off the battery.  Even a cheap 12 volts rechargeable battery would work.  They are cheap as hell.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My 2 cents...

We run a rechargeable battery for the radio that allows it to be on when the kill switch is off.  We have a charger wired in to the kill switch so when the kill switch is on, it's charging.  When the kill switch is off, it's running off the battery.  Even a cheap 12 volts rechargeable battery would work.  They are cheap as hell.

That solves the problem of having somethings hot wired and messing up the switch panel.

Thanks

I think I will add this battery, https://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-0_8ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html and connect it to the 12v via relay.

When the kill switch is off the relay will shutoff and isolate the small battery with the radio. (Will also shutoff when the ignition is off )

I also have a race capture pro that needs to be always on to make the logging work well

Edit:

The kill switch needs to be a 2 pole for it to work (or I use a diod)

This diode seems to be a good candidate, https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MBR7030WT-D.PDF

Edited by turbogrill