What about this dash bar?

turbogrill

4 minutes ago, Grufton said:

Thanks! Didn't know we had that system now.

So it seems like the dashbar is a no go due to the bend, might be able to fix it with gussets.

Anyone has any opinions about the height?

(I will most likely remove it and add it higher up)

34 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

That's not a dash bar, it's a leg shattering bar.

The only way I could see that being ok is if the seating position is so far back you're hanging the pedals from there.

It's very far back, I thought it was a footwell bar first. 

Looks like that is in your Miata? Not sure it matters what the car is but the forward down tube of the main cage is too far back from the firewall.

It should be about six or so inches further forward and once that is done the dash bar can go in a straight path up at a good height. Ours goes across 

at a height that it goes over the steering assembly and we mount the steering to that bar.

So to your question I would be working to make several changes.

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 minutes ago, MFBense said:

So this is prob a no go in champcar tech eyes?

image.jpg

That dash bar looks totally appropriate, but based on that tech desk article I can't say yes or no.

Based on the BCCR its good.  Its a bar, its in the location indicated by Figure A.  There are no other restrictions on this rule (3.2.9).  Whereas, other bars indicated in Figure A do contain restrictions on bends (example, 3.2.4)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 55mini said:

Looks like that is in your Miata? Not sure it matters what the car is but the forward down tube of the main cage is too far back from the firewall.

It should be about six or so inches further forward and once that is done the dash bar can go in a straight path up at a good height. Ours goes across 

at a height that it goes over the steering assembly and we mount the steering to that bar.

So to your question I would be working to make several changes.

I agree that ideally it should be further forward, but there is nothing against the rules where it is now.  I would add a bar from each down leg to the firewall to give some added ankle / leg protection.

Yeah, you want that bar up and away from legs.  For both ingress/egress and crash safety.

My E36 - similar to what Huggy did, except I was able to do this one wi/o bends

33021994_10160451656285230_4039765265599

Datsun - based on the tech article, looks like I need to modify this one as I only have small gussets bottom side of dash bar to A-pillar.  I bent it this way to be able to tie into the cowl and give hand space.

11001941_963057717040799_202886733526817

10959742_962381063775131_496832921422354

• Like 2

Just now, NigelStu said:

With A-pillar bar moved forward:  Easier ingress/egress .  Easier to tie A-pillar tube to body.  Easier to make dash bar straight(er).

This is an NC Miata so it's much bigger than the NA/Nb. I need some more pics! Don't have the car at my house.

Moving the apillar tube forward requires new main hoop and door bars as well right? Can't just cut it up and move it forward?

^correct.

based on your pics, I don't see any issue with your A-pillar bars.  Looks like they follow the a-pillar far enough that moving it further forward wouldn't really add extra space.  IMO, not worth the cage tear-up to get they extra 1-2 inches near the bottom.  Get the  shin bar dash bar moved up to appropriate place, gusset as required if you need a bend to clear steering wheel space.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

^correct.

based on your pics, I don't see any issue with your A-pillar bars.  Looks like they follow the a-pillar far enough that moving it further forward wouldn't really add extra space.  IMO, not worth the cage tear-up to get they extra 1-2 inches near the bottom.  Get the  shin bar dash bar moved up to appropriate place, gusset as required if you need a bend to clear steering wheel space.

On the Datsun you have two low bars found from a pillar into the firewall. Are these foot protection? Where do they end?

I have the same bars in my car.  I went through the firewall to the strut towers.  They stop things from moving into the footwell.

Again, my cage is not perfect, and my bars that go forward are a bit too high.  However, I wanted to tie into the strut towers and that was the location they ended up in.  I'll see if I can get a pic later.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

I've always used a dash bar to provide crush resistance to limit A-pillar intrusion into the occupant's legs - hence, a straight tube is always better than a bent tube.

Having said that, I would also be confident in @NigelStu's and @Huggy's dash bars. The Datsun has larger bends but ties that bar into the front cowl structure, adding to the crosscar stiffness, and Huggy's E30 has only minor bends that won't affect compression much, and the bar is additionally tied into the original steering column mount, further stabilizing compression loads. I've done the same thing both guys did, tying into the OE column mounts, on many cages.

All of the dash bars I have ever installed in a cage have been above the steering column/shaft. It provides ample room to the drivers legs in a crash, ingress/egress, and most often, the height is placed to build small brackets to hold the column/shaft.

• Like 3