Swap includes free intake from car from VPI?

4 minutes ago, espog said:

When did they sneak this in? 

NO MORE FREE PARTS!!!

Next they will want more fuel cause they swapped in a bigger motor and now they can't go 2 hrs.

NO MORE FREE PARTS!!!

That's been allowed for at least 2 years.  If you can fit it in your $1500, it's on the VPI list, and you "need it" to make it fit, it's been free.

I don't agree with it, but it's the law at the moment.

Personally, we can't know how an intake manifold from another engine effects output, and since horse power is the metric used for determining points any change in intake manifold should incur points just like non swap cars.

27 minutes ago, espog said:

When did they sneak this in? 

NO MORE FREE PARTS!!!

Next they will want more fuel cause they swapped in a bigger motor and now they can't go 2 hrs.

NO MORE FREE PARTS!!!

It's been like this for at least a few years and I think there are a fair amount of members who do not agree with it. 

This is one of those "make/model specific rules" that gives one car a benefit or a freebie but not another. 

The swap I am looking at would be swapping a 2.5 mazda3 engine into a 2.0 Miata.

Horse power is the same but more torque. 

I would use the miata 2.0 intake and Miata 2.0 oilpan on the swapped 2.5 engine.

The 2.5 intake don't fit because its from a fwd car. So I am just reusing parts from my old engine. Same with the header I think.

10 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Huh, I was positive that this wasn't allowed.  I know the neon guys had to take points or have an intake sticking WAY out of the hood.

Sticking out the hood is considered fitting, sticking through the firewall is not.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

That's been allowed for at least 2 years.  If you can fit it in your $1500, it's on the VPI list, and you "need it" to make it fit, it's been free.

I have written specific petitions to address this issue.   4.5.6 is clear on what is included.    Everything else is points.   Tech cannot overrule the BCCR for certain makes/models.  

• Thanks 4

On 4/3/2020 at 6:27 PM, turbogrill said:

Hi

4.5.3.1 says that you can use any exhaust manifold from the VPI list for your swap.

But what about intake manifold?

It seems to be fine on to use 350z intakes on a Altima swap into 240sx.

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=15

It’s the 350z intake they are using on the maxima  3.0 motor. There was no 3.0vq motor made for a RWD platform. The guys doing the swap aren’t using 3.5 motors.

3 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Yup. We run the 350z intake setup on a 3.0 from a 96 maxima.  It's on the tech desk.  The 3.0 intake would be in the middle of the cowl facing the wrong direction.

Pardon me for saying so but - didn't you make the decision to swap, knowing that the stock intake faced the wrong way?

7 hours ago, mender said:

Pardon me for saying so but - didn't you make the decision to swap, knowing that the stock intake faced the wrong way?

I would think since they weren't the first to do the swap, they did the swap knowing that the Z intake was already approved as part of the package.

Doesn't mean I agree that it should be free though.  It's an easy fix.

Charge them for the intake, and lower the VPI on the 240SX.  It's absurdly high anyway, and competing with the factory drivetrain is not feasible.  We tried.  The KA, just isn't a viable powerplant at the current VPI.  I'd have lobbied harder to lower it, but writing off the old car entirely gave us an opportunity to move to a newer more available platform.

• Like 3

We checked with tech before the swap.  Others teams also ran the same swap at the same time.  We have been through tech twice since doing the swap.  I believe another team has won a race with the same swap.  The 240 is over valued and was not competitive with the factory drive train.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

We checked with tech before the swap.  Others teams also ran the same swap at the same time.  We have been through tech twice since doing the swap.  I believe another team has won a race with the same swap.  The 240 is over valued and was not competitive with the factory drive train.  

Sounds familiar to what we used to say about our polaris exhaust,  pretty sure we and many other teams have been told "to bad so sad suck it up butter cup"  maybe that only applies to the exhaust, I don't know.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Polaris is not on the VPI list.  I did not make the rules we just follow them.  

Did not say you were not following rules.   You are indeed.   And all of the Miata Teams were following the word of the the Chief for years.   Times change, its ok for things to change.   Just don't expect anything to last forever.    

• Like 1