Help with cable to steering wheel

turbogrill

57 minutes ago, Shawn Sampson said:

Check the video on how to install on the link at the bottom. When done correct,  you will never have a issue.

https://www.sampsonracing.com/2-Way-Hole-Mount-PTT-with-Mounting-Bracket-p/p0520.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Shawn

thanks for the great video.  I passed it along to a friend's team that was having issues with PTT button install

We have ripped out sooo many of those that we changed to a SWITCH, not a push button attached to the shifter.

The switch is awesome because you can talk "handsfree" while driving.  It has not been an issue with being left in the transmit position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

We have ripped out sooo many of those that we changed to a SWITCH, not a push button attached to the shifter.

The switch is awesome because you can talk "handsfree" while driving.  It has not been an issue with being left in the transmit position. 

But how do you receive?

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I like the idea of flipping a switch and chatting. Then flipping back at the next opportunity for a reply. 

I will I'll say that I bought the push button from Sampson. I used the steering wheel mount. And it failed in one race. The wire used is super tiny (26ga?!?). I will be honest and say I did not strain relief as you state in the video. But please don't use such a small wire (if possible?) Expect an idiot is installing your HW (me!). 

So we gutted the button and connector and used soldered in 22ga wire and filled the button cavity with silicon sealant. We now use a fixed mount button located behind the shifter. We moved it there due to different some drivers using different steering wheels and fixed seat back(6' &220 vs 5'6" 140lbs).

We have yet so test due to.........reasons.........

Edited by MichaelPal

59 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Flip the switch back when you are done talking.

Okay.

Had a set-up like that, spent about half an hour listening to one of my drivers mouth-breathing through the corners. He wasn't in the best overall condition. ;)

Edited by mender
  • Haha 5