2020 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 5, Road America - 4/8/2020, 4/15/2020

Rapido

With all the excitement of the upcoming Daytona special event (still time to sign up!), don't forget we also have a regular CCiS round coming up. So much iRacing!

Off to the woods of Wisconsin for our annual trip to Road America, running the safer/less-exciting "Bend" config in deference to the unique performance of the Street Stock. There is much less run-off space here, so I encourage a lot of our newcomers to run the practice round and get used to handling the car in a pack and racing at speed. 

Any questions let me know, and good luck!

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 8-April-2020
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 15-April-2020
  • Practice Start: 7:00pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 9:00pm ET
  • Race Start: 10:00pm ET
  • Cars: Street Stock
  • Track: Road America - Bend
  • In-Sim Session Date: Saturday, 18-April-2020
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 1:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed Setup with 14g starting fuel - download here
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 2

Just a reminder that the race is tonight.  The last round was full before practice was over, make sure you sign up early if you want to race and with that said please don't sign up if you are not going to race as you would be taking a spot from someone you wants to participate.

• Like 3

Further to the above, I have sent messages to those drivers who joined the Daytona Championship race but did not participate. It is not fair to other drivers to join a race session and take a spot from those who can then subsequently not join, and then not compete. Going forward, there will be one warning for joining a championship race and not participating, followed by consideration for removal from the league.

I apologise if this seems draconian but at a time when this series is very popular among ChampCar racers then it is the fair thing to do.

• Like 4

Thanks for putting this one together guys. This one ended up being my best finish at 7th but I did learn that the car fuels at the same time as replacing tires. I chose to go no tires since I thought it would get my out of the pits faster. Definitely lesson learned. 

At first I hated the street stock but I’m starting to weirdly like it. 

• Like 3

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 minutes ago, cowboys647 said:

Thanks for putting this one together guys. This one ended up being my best finish at 7th but I did learn that the car fuels at the same time as replacing tires. I chose to go no tires since I thought it would get my out of the pits faster. Definitely lesson learned. 

Nice job!

How do you adjust what gets done in the pits? Is there a way to know how long it takes to fuel per gallon and how long tire changes take? Is there a way to fix damage vs not fix damage? How did you know you were even low on fuel, I didn't have a gauge on the dash of my car within my POV? 

I feel the same about this car, it grew on me and ended up being really fun to race. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cowboys647 said:

Had fun battling with you in the middle and the end.  Was good clean racing.  Still happy with 6th place and a clean car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red0 said:

Nice job!

How do you adjust what gets done in the pits? Is there a way to know how long it takes to fuel per gallon and how long tire changes take? Is there a way to fix damage vs not fix damage? How did you know you were even low on fuel, I didn't have a gauge on the dash of my car within my POV? 

I feel the same about this car, it grew on me and ended up being really fun to race. 

iRacing black boxes.  You can scroll though them, select fuel load, tires, and fast repair.  Its the same box that displays the relative display

2 hours ago, red0 said:

Nice job!

To determine how long fueling and tires will take, run a test session. A "pit service time" box will appear once you've stopped in your stall.

To adjust things for your stop, you'll need to cycle through the black boxes (relative, standings, lap timing, fuel, tires, etc). I have a button mapped on my wheel to cycle through. Then I have to fumble with a mouse to make adjustments. I've recently downloaded the Crew Chief app (free). It has the ability to make pit adjustments via voice commands. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I believe there is a way to set up pit macros so that multiple functions are done with one button click. I haven't messed with it though.

2 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

. I've recently downloaded the Crew Chief app (free). It has the ability to make pit adjustments via voice commands. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Just prep yourself for disappointment with the voice commands working.  You can however set crew chef up to auto fuel you and set how much over you want the fuel to do.  

6 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Just prep yourself for disappointment with the voice commands working.  You can however set crew chef up to auto fuel you and set how much over you want the fuel to do.  

That's a bummer. I can see auto fuel being useful until you run into an unplanned event. I probably just need to figure out pit macros or buy a button box.

2 hours ago, red0 said:

Nice job!

I’ll second everyone else on the black boxes. I’ve mapped buttons to scroll through the black boxes, move up down and left right inside them, and a click button but this is just all secondary if my CrewChief app fails. 

For me I’ve had tons of success with CrewChief voice commands. I can clear fast repairs, decide if I want tires, and tell him to fuel me to the end and I’ve never run out of fuel after that. 

37 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Had fun battling with you in the middle and the end.  Was good clean racing.  Still happy with 6th place and a clean car.

Very good clean racing. Glad we missed out on all that contact. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cowboys647 said:

I’ll second everyone else on the black boxes. I’ve mapped buttons to scroll through the black boxes, move up down and left right inside them, and a click button but this is just all secondary if my CrewChief app fails. 

For me I’ve had tons of success with CrewChief voice commands. I can clear fast repairs, decide if I want tires, and tell him to fuel me to the end and I’ve never run out of fuel after that. 

Very good clean racing. Glad we missed out on all that contact. 

I would of had a 0x but I put one wheel off going into turn 8 and did a nice slide though the grass.  Like everyone else said, the street stock grew on me a bit.