7 Hours of Daytona - Post-Race Review

Thank you to everyone who turned out for the inaugural ChampCar iRacing Special Event at Daytona. Despite a few challenges (which were inevitable given this was a new venture for all of us) I think it was a great race and spectacle, and I hope our viewers enjoyed it as much as the competitors did.

Congratulations to Team Hugh Jass - Gold for their win in the Cayman class, just beating OST to the line by an incredibly close battle in the closing laps, and to the Dangers Out crew for completing the podium. Good job from the "Zach will pay you 14 cents to crash our competition" Miata to win their class. Solid work from the Hugh Jass Miata and ESBN Phenomenal to round out the podium. Please note that Team Village Idiots were originally classified in 2nd in class but due to a contravention of the 2-hour drive time rule in the final stint they have been given a one lap penalty, dropping them to 4th in class.

Would like to take this opportunity to thank a few people who were involved in the organisation of this race. Many thanks to @dabneydfor a marathon stint as producer of the video stream, and to @David Haines and @Devon Peters for their work in the commentary booth. Thanks to Andrew Fawcett and @Hugh Jass for their work both in the booth and running Race Control with me. 

We'll certainly take the feedback and lessons we've learned from this event and hope to apply them to the next special event we run. In this uncertain time, we hope iRacing can be a substitute for the competitive racing urge we all want to enjoy, so please let us know what you want to see and we look forward to welcoming you on the grid for the next race.

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

First team event for me in iRacing, and it didn't disappoint. While it may not be "real", the intensity level was definitely there. So much fun.

I sent out a mass email to friends and family similar to what I would do for a CCES race. The feedback was very positive. Young and old were entertained by the quality of the racing and broadcast. Great job by all.

Let's do it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That was INTENSE. Love Racing made out pretty well. We missed our opportunity to take 5th because we Weren't sure when the white flag was. 

Thanks so much for hosting guys!

Question: The full course cautions seem to hurt more than they help and aren't really necessary in the virtual world. A local yellow will work just fine especially with the power of spotting from a chopper and hitting the escape key. What's the thought behind the FCC?

We had a great time and are super thankful for you guys putting this race on to help us get through the IRL drought. We had a great time battling the HJ cars and had damn near an hour of trading tenths there at the end. 

Hope to do more of these in the future! 

• Like 2
  • Technical Advisory Committee

Huge thanks to all the people who put this on. Thanks for answering all our stupid questions so quick and putting up for us in general. Half our team downloaded iRacing last night, and I just got it last weekend so we are just a bunch of clueless N0013s. The quality and professionalism of the race was VERY impressive. Great job guys! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Technical Advisory Committee
19 minutes ago, Klenk said:

Had a blast racing for the Team HJ Blue Cayman! Some really great competition out there. Had the privilege to take part in some excellent racing in the last hour after the final caution. 

👍👍  Awesome Finish.  I almost gave it to you with my spin in 5

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind comments and feedback following this event. Whilst not a small amount of work, we are gratified it was well received by the community and we hope to bring another one to you in the near future.

One point to note. Following a post-race investigation, Team Village Idiots has been found to have contravened the 2-hour drive time rule in their final stint and so have been given a penalty lap. This drops them to 4th in class and elevates the Hugh Jass Miata and ESBN Phenomenal to second and third in class respectively.

• Like 5