Coolsuit controller

Its time to start wiring up all the auxiliary equipment in the new car, and I've been thinking about coolsuit pump control.

I didnt really love the cold shock of switching the pump on and off at 100% duty cycle when it wasn't hot enough to run it full time.  Id really like to install some sort of motor controller so I can lower pump speed.

I know I cant be the first person to try and DIY something like this.  Are there any cost effective controllers or potentiometers that will handle the amperage the pump requires?  If the car would have come with a standard blower resistor setup id have just used that, as 4 speeds would be plenty, but this was an Auto temp control car, so its all built into the HVAC module I believe.

• Technical Advisory Committee

I have used a couple of these the last 4 years, have extras in a box but have not had one fail (yet) in spite of it being cheap Chinese crap.  However, I have an installed spare pump in my cooler so if it fails just go to the backup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-90V-15A-Pulse-Width-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Switch-12v-24V-36v-48v-60v-/121380294265?hash=item1c42d44e79

Edited by Burningham

Rodger beat me to it. You can either go the PWM route as he suggested or you can get a rheostat capable of maybe 75W if you dont like them fancy electronics.

I do like the ones that have their own enclosure though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-24V-36V-48V-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-Reversible-Switch-Regulator-10A-US/352989013032?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

wuhan rheostat:
https://tinyurl.com/vbf7vq5

Edited by Slugworks Paul
11 hours ago, enginerd said:

The PWM controller is the best way (IMO), have used both PWM and live well timer. 

The one I use was $12 on amazon and has an LCD screen that is really nice. 

Yah, PWM controller is really the way I was hoping to go.  You have a link?

Is it this one?

Screenshot_20200413-124204.png

Edited by SonsOfIrony
  • Like 1
  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, erich said:

We've been using a PWM controller for about 6 years now, although I never run it at less than 100%, but I generate a lot of heat.

I must generate much less heat or I put much more ice in the cooler :)

When starting a stint in the morning I typically put it at 30% or so. By the time pace laps are done I've pushed it up to 50%. If it's really hot out I will have cranked it to 100% by the end of the stint. For a long FCY I turn it back down some. The adjustment is wonderful. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Yah, PWM controller is really the way I was hoping to go.  You have a link?

Is it this one?

Screenshot_20200413-124204.png

That's it. I disconnected the push button and power it on with a switch on my switch panel. Also built a little mounting plate for the LCD screen and adjustment knob. 

• Like 1

My problem with the bait timer is the long feedback loop. If memory serves, it's either on or off and it's always off for 30 seconds before coming back on? Anyway... it may take a few cycles to determine that it's the "right" average flow rate, and a few cycles is several minutes. With the PWM controller, you set it and you know within 10 seconds that it's either too cold or too warm or just right.Then you make an adjustment and 10 seconds later you know if that's right. Now it's dialed in and the time to get it to "Goldylocks zone" is much faster.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, enginerd said:

My problem with the bait timer is the long feedback loop. If memory serves, it's either on or off and it's always off for 30 seconds before coming back on? Anyway... it may take a few cycles to determine that it's the "right" average flow rate, and a few cycles is several minutes. With the PWM controller, you set it and you know within 10 seconds that it's either too cold or too warm or just right.Then you make an adjustment and 10 seconds later you know if that's right. Now it's dialed in and the time to get it to "Goldylocks zone" is much faster.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.  Ordered.

6 hours ago, enginerd said:

I must generate much less heat or I put much more ice in the cooler :)

When starting a stint in the morning I typically put it at 30% or so. By the time pace laps are done I've pushed it up to 50%. If it's really hot out I will have cranked it to 100% by the end of the stint. For a long FCY I turn it back down some. The adjustment is wonderful. 

You must have one of those fancy cars with that newfangled "power steering".

I turn 10-15lbs of ice to warm water in ~1:30, after that the cool shirt does noting.

I think the main reason why my wife like me is because whatever room I'm in warms up.

59 minutes ago, erich said:

I turn 10-15lbs of ice to warm water in ~1:30, after that the cool shirt does noting.

I think the main reason why my wife like me is because whatever room I'm in warms up.

No, it's a simple e30 with power steering removed. I weigh ~150 in race trim. We also have a nice bilge fan to cool driver. I drove 2hr stints at Indy (anyone can vouch for how hot it was!) with ice still in the cooler by the time I pitted.

1 hour ago, erich said:

You know if you didn't run it at 100%, maybe your I e would last the whole 2 hours?

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, enginerd said:

No, it's a simple e30 with power steering removed. I weigh ~150 in race trim. We also have a nice bilge fan to cool driver. I drove 2hr stints at Indy (anyone can vouch for how hot it was!) with ice still in the cooler by the time I pitted.

I'd have to amputate my lower body to weigh 150.  If I was lean I'd still be 230 and I'm not lean.  I'm in good shape but I'm not a small guy.

4 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

You know if you didn't run it at 100%, maybe your I e would last the whole 2 hours?

Sure, but I'd still be sweating my ass off, which probably isn't a bad thing.