E30 M20 Oil pan Baffles

tyler_j

Hi all,

I am in the process of an overhaul on my street e30.  At the moment I have no intent of CC racing with this car, but potentially some HPDEs.

I will have the oil pan off soon to weld in an oil return line bung,  and while I have it off I thought I should go ahead and put a baffle in as well. Since I have been passed by quite a few of your reliable M20s, I thought this would be a great place to ask.

Does anyone on here have a preference or any suggestions for which (off-the shelf) baffle to go with?  Or anyone think its just a waste of time/money?

Bimmerworld has one but I am not sure how to feel about adding a piece with hinges, cottar pins and rivets into an oil pan.

Side note,  if anyone has any suggestions of random small parts to replace/upgrade while doing this work please let me know.  Currently I have the gas tank out, full exhaust off, Driveshaft & trans out.  I am replacing all trans seals, all shifter bushings, clutch, gas tank, entire full system, brake lines, full power steering system, rear crank seal, oil pan gasket, oil filter housing o-rings and a few other miscellaneous bushings.

Thanks!

Im using bimmerworld baffle.  This seems to be a very commonly copied part, no sure who built the first one.  There are even instructions on building it yourself.  Trap door hinges and parts stay together on race cars so your hpde car will be fine.  It does need to be TIG welded into the pan.

Edited by TimS

Thanks Tim,  thats good enough for me.  I will go with the bimmerworld one.

I am already TIG-ing a oil return line bung into the pan, so should be easy to weld the baffle in at the same time.  Hardest part is getting it clean enough haha.

Thanks again!

Just what I used to clean pan before welding. Technically was NAPA brand brake cleaner. Welding was done weeks after cleaning but was unaware of any issues with welding after using brake cleaner. I’ll look into possible issues. I learn stuff everyday. 

Seems argon and brake cleaner mixed with high heat from welder produces phosgene gas. Not good for you. Having been in the commercial HVAC business for 30 years I guess I didn’t even notice the tiny amount that may have been given off when I did my tig welding. Using a torch on a refrigerant line with a bit of left over refrigerant will give you the same phosgene gas byproduct. Maybe use non chlorinated brake cleaner or acetone for cleaning and always weld in a well ventilated area. 

Edited by TimS
New info
  • Like 1

As someone that uses brake cleaner daily, I strongly dislike/avoid the chlorinated stuff, not only because of phosgene gas, but for a handful more reasons.

In the long run it can ruin automotive A/C if used while the system is apart, not flammable, can not use as starting fluid, burns skin even without a cut, takes too long to evaporate when gotten in the eyes, in general, too harsh on the body etc. decent non-chlornated brake cleaner works fine.

All the cool kids in town use this, its badass and cheeep @ the dodge dealer! Don't let the online prices fool you,  wholesale they sell it for $2 a can, purchased  by the case P/N 68065196AB.  If anyone is at a race we attend, ask me to bring a case.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/68065196AB/10002/-1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 10:00 AM, Team Infiniti said:

As someone that uses brake cleaner daily, I strongly dislike/avoid the chlorinated stuff, not only because of phosgene gas, but for a handful more reasons.

In the long run it can ruin automotive A/C if used while the system is apart, not flammable, can not use as starting fluid, burns skin even without a cut, takes too long to evaporate when gotten in the eyes, in general, too harsh on the body etc. decent non-chlornated brake cleaner works fine.

All the cool kids in town use this, its badass and cheeep @ the dodge dealer! Don't let the online prices fool you,  wholesale they sell it for $2 a can, purchased  by the case P/N 68065196AB.  If anyone is at a race we attend, ask me to bring a case.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/68065196AB/10002/-1

Just to clarify... it is OK to use non chlorinated brake cleaner before welding?

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 4/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

Oh yeah, serious stuff.

Do not mix chlorinated brake cleaner with heat.  It's not even welding, it's any high heat.

I know 2 different people that took a ride in an ambulance because of that.

No poop. I always try to avoid it, but never took it all that seriously. Maybe I should start. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 2

While we are on the subject of brake cleaner...  don't spray it on you.  It can do nasty poop to your kidneys over time.

It's some seriously harmful stuff....  probably why it works so well!

I buy it by the case!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

While we are on the subject of brake cleaner...  don't spray it on you.  It can do nasty poop to your kidneys over time.

It's some seriously harmful stuff....  probably why it works so well!

I buy it by the case!

good tip... I'll stop using it for hand cleaner of last resort now...

• Like 1