turbogrill

Re-purpose material for fender flares?

Hi,

Can I take the dash (or some part) and make fender flares from it without paying points?

(It's probably cheaper in terms of $$$ to just buy a set of ebay fender flares than paying someone to create a set of custom ones from the dash, but it's a point question not a money question).

I guess it's not OK if you re purpose material for something on the fixed VPI list (i.e wing from door). I guess in theory I could create a metal coolant tank from my door and not pay points for it.

Edited by turbogrill

As far as I know that's fine.  I'm repurposing the lower part of my front bumper for rear flares.  Just take pictures to prove it  

• Like 1

Our new build is likely to use this to a level that will require a dedicated camera and storage pile :ph34r:

No green font...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Can I take the dash (or some part) and make fender flares from it without paying points?

(It's probably cheaper in terms of $$$ to just buy a set of ebay fender flares than paying someone to create a set of custom ones from the dash, but it's a point question not a money question).

I guess it's not OK if you re purpose material for something on the fixed VPI list (i.e wing from door). I guess in theory I could create a metal coolant tank from my door and not pay points for it.

You can re-purpose anything on the fixed VPI (Aero) list for free. Yes a door to a wing would be hard to do right, but would be free.  Spoilers and air dams are usually done this way.

If you have seen the Riley Camaro, you have probably seen the enormous steel flares shrouding the 300+ width tires, and it also has no roof. I asked Jay about the flares since the material wasn't claimed in the logbook and he replied "where do you think that roof went?"

So to answer your question, you can cut pieces of the car off (perhaps the roof) to make 0-point fender flares.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, enginerd said:

If you have seen the Riley Camaro, you have probably seen the enormous steel flares shrouding the 300+ width tires, and it also has no roof. I asked Jay about the flares since the material wasn't claimed in the logbook and he replied "where do you think that roof went?"

So to answer your question, you can cut pieces of the car off (perhaps the roof) to make 0-point fender flares.

As long as you maintain the 60% body rule, that sounds fine. 

4 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Like Jerry said, it should be fine to do that but document it so tech can put the re-purposing together. 

This going to be the most hideous fender flares.

I also I take no responsibility if they fly off, I should add a sign "Fender flares created by a moron, stand back 300ft"

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, enginerd said:

If the Miata had a roof, that might work :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, red0 said:

As long as you maintain the 60% body rule, that sounds fine.

:) If you cut it off the roof, and put it on the 1/4 panel, you're still pretty close to 100%

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

I'm going to re-purpose the door off our wrecked car for our new giant butt wing.

That's not how any of this works!

Glad you have pts to spare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My fender flares are going to have free canards, not my fault the Miata dash happens to have things sticking out...

• Haha 1

I am saving all of the metal I cut off the car right now.

Inner door skins and mechanisms, brackets, etc.  Bumper pieces, inner hood braces, eryting.

I'm gonna find a use for it eventually.  Maybe I will melt it all and make something big!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I am saving all of the metal I cut off the car right now.

Inner door skins and mechanisms, brackets, etc.  Bumper pieces, inner hood braces, eryting.

I'm gonna find a use for it eventually.  Maybe I will melt it all and make something big!

I will probably make a turbo of all the metal. My car will be a rocket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

That's not how any of this works!

Glad you have pts to spare.

Since points have been incredibly reduced, even with an intake we have 100 or so to burn.  does a 305 handle boost well?

4 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

does a 305 handle boost well?

Only one way to find out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Since points have been incredibly reduced, even with an intake we have 100 or so to burn.  does a 305 handle boost well?

You'll want another 25pts for an Intercooler too!

So I guess if you pay the points for a tubular from sub-fram/k-member, use your old sub-frame to reinforce your strut towers. Two for one special anyone?

Or just make some super heavy duty fender flares! 👍

Edited by EngEtan

2 minutes ago, EngEtan said:

So I guess if you pay the points for a tubular from sub-fram/k-member, use your old sub-frame to reinforce your strut towers. Two for one special anyone?

No.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

Use a 305 with the least factory hp/compression?

1 hour ago, EngEtan said:

Or just make some super heavy duty fender flares! 👍

No reusing something that you have replaced for points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Use a 305 with the least factory hp/compression?

Ours is an 88 WS6 car... Factory rated 210-220 depending.. 

18 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

nah meth H2O injection

Which also costs points (I asked).  Blow-through carb is free if you’re already running one

17 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Which also costs points (I asked).  Blow-through carb is free if you’re already running one

what if I use my windshield cleaner tank? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1