Flagtronics, is full implementation still on schedule?

As we proceed with designing all the driver information systems in our new car.

Is flagtronics still full speed ahead?  Will it be implemented at any/all races once 2020 gets back underway?

I'd like to properly integrate it now if it is still something that will be required for next year.  I'd hate to tear everything apart to do it later.

7 hours ago, jakks said:

What needs integrated? Its a little box with a USB port needed or a 12v source. IIRC

Ideally I would like it to be part of the topmost center display for the driver.  Which means integrating it into that panel.  I don't want to just slap it on the dash and call it good enough.

If this is going to be a permanent requirement, then it deserves a permanent installation.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

The guys in charge of flagtronics are currently making/distributing virus protective gear. Reserve a space for a cigratte pack, pretend its a garmin or xm add on where it needs satellite signal.

Yea, just build for it now. It's coming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

How is it getting tested when there's no racing going on?

My complaint on this is that it needs about 10-20,000 laps (yes that many) spanning all tracks to see how it really works before just declaring it is required for everyone.

It’s going to be required to have it, I don’t think it’s required to view it or follow it and it’s definitely not proven if it will actually work. It’s not exactly expensive at a one time cost comparatively to other endurance racing costs.

Very similar to face masks in public. That’s my joke for the night. Haha! Stay safe!

On 4/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, MMiskoe said:

My complaint on this is that it needs about 10-20,000 laps (yes that many) spanning all tracks to see how it really works before just declaring it is required for everyone.

Corner workers have been tested for way over 10-20,000 laps but damn if you can't get them to work every time.

Edited by jakks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 4/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

As we proceed with designing all the driver information systems in our new car.

Is flagtronics still full speed ahead?  Will it be implemented at any/all races once 2020 gets back underway?

I'd like to properly integrate it now if it is still something that will be required for next year.  I'd hate to tear everything apart to do it later.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, Team Infiniti said:

The guys in charge of flagtronics are currently making/distributing virus protective gear. Reserve a space for a cigratte pack, pretend its a garmin or xm add on where it needs satellite signal.

We are still moving ahead @SonsOfIrony. As @Team Infiniti mentioned, we are working night and day on PPE gear for over a month now and this has pushed back our development cycle on this product and some other products. We saw a situation where hospitals, first responders, and elder care workers were going to have no supplies and were wholly unprepared. We jumped on the opportunity using our global sourcing network and have been pushing as hard as we can on sourced PPE Gear & locally made PPE Gear. We're doing it at cost and are arranging as many donations as we can as quickly as we can.

We recently switched from a Facebook Fundraiser to a GoFundMe here https://www.gofundme.com/f/virginianeedsppe . Contact virginianeedsppe@gmail.com if you know of any locations in desperate need or if you are able to offer volunteer time, 3D printing capability, funding, etc.

Back to the Flagtronics system, we have a new form factor (compared to the late prototype version shown below) for the next revision hardware which has a smaller antenna on the top and closer to the centerline. There are two rear connectors which are now sealed. There are two buttons on the front. The antenna packaging is now smaller but the sealed connector packaging adds some depth. 

We will offer cage mount and dash mount options as well as an adhesive option.

image.thumb.png.9f1ff1019c7f5fc37c48f4698a881171.pngIMG_20200421_005746.thumb.jpg.e18a11aed40c6ecbe710bcb97931bdda.jpgIMG_20200421_005756.thumb.jpg.54b6f1919f38a8c472bb2b061b52ac51.jpg

Here is an overview that isn't ChampCar specific:

On 4/15/2020 at 11:43 PM, jakks said:

What needs integrated? Its a little box with a USB port needed or a 12v source. IIRC

Pretty much. 12V hard wired is the preferred source. There is a GPS puck that will need to be routed. You will want to avoid light sources like screens pointing at the back of the unit where the ambient light sensor sits.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:34 AM, SonsOfIrony said:

Ideally I would like it to be part of the topmost center display for the driver.  Which means integrating it into that panel.  I don't want to just slap it on the dash and call it good enough.

If this is going to be a permanent requirement, then it deserves a permanent installation.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, mindspin311 said:

Yea, just build for it now. It's coming.

Yes, this will be a permanent requirement. It's very small & very portable.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, MMiskoe said:

We have over 18,000 laps at 6 tracks and have been developing this system for several years. 

We should be making an announcement next month and offering more technical details.

Edited by vtjballeng
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

We are still moving ahead @SonsOfIrony. As @Team Infiniti mentioned, we are working night and day on PPE gear for over a month now and this has pushed back our development cycle on this product and some other products. We saw a situation where hospitals, first responders, and elder care workers were going to have no supplies and were wholly unprepared. We jumped on the opportunity using our global sourcing network and have been pushing as hard as we can on sourced PPE Gear & locally made PPE Gear. We're doing it at cost and are arranging as many donations as we can as quickly as we can.

We recently switched from a Facebook Fundraiser to a GoFundMe here https://www.gofundme.com/f/virginianeedsppe . Contact virginianeedsppe@gmail.com if you know of any locations in desperate need or if you are able to offer volunteer time, 3D printing capability, funding, etc.

Back to the Flagtronics system, we have a new form factor (compared to the late prototype version shown below) for the next revision hardware which has a smaller antenna on the top and closer to the centerline. There are two rear connectors which are now sealed. There are two buttons on the front. The antenna packaging is now smaller but the sealed connector packaging adds some depth. 

We will offer cage mount and dash mount options as well as an adhesive option.

image.thumb.png.9f1ff1019c7f5fc37c48f4698a881171.pngIMG_20200421_005746.thumb.jpg.e18a11aed40c6ecbe710bcb97931bdda.jpgIMG_20200421_005756.thumb.jpg.54b6f1919f38a8c472bb2b061b52ac51.jpg

Here is an overview that isn't ChampCar specific:

Pretty much. 12V hard wired is the preferred source. There is a GPS puck that will need to be routed. You will want to avoid light sources like screens pointing at the back of the unit where the ambient light sensor sits.

Yes, this will be a permanent requirement. It's very small & very portable.

We have over 18,000 laps at 6 tracks and have been developing this system for several years. 

We should be making an announcement next month and offering more technical details.

Is the antenna a standard BNC connector that can be extended/relocated?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

Is the antenna a standard BNC connector that can be extended/relocated?

No. The prototype is SMA. At this moment, we only have a fixed antenna option for FCC compliance.  The device will require mounting in a location where the antenna has good line of sight out of the car and the display is in the line of sight of the driver.

3 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

No. The prototype is SMA. At this moment, we only have a fixed antenna option for FCC compliance.  The device will require mounting in a location where the antenna has good line of sight out of the car and the display is in the line of sight of the driver.

So, due to the fixed antenna, and the rear ambient light sensor on the rear, safe to say I cannot flush mount it.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, vtjballeng said:

Is this compliance something that the buyer can take on as their own responsibility once it has been sold?

How many watts is this thing?  I know the 5W radios we use struggle at tracks with some topography and that's with an external antenna.

9 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Is this compliance something that the buyer can take on as their own responsibility once it has been sold?

How many watts is this thing?  I know the 5W radios we use struggle at tracks with some topography and that's with an external antenna.

we have a number of repeaters that we will set up at certain tracks that require them due to the topography.

Before each race the system is tested, and repeaters added or adjusted as necessary. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Not sure what you mean by compliance, you don't have to "look" at it, but these will also be used as 5min pit timers so it's in your best interest to have it in the car and plugged in.

Edited by morganf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, morganf said:

Not sure what you mean by compliance, you don't have to "look" at it, but these will also be used as 5min pit timers so it's in your best interest to have it in the car and plugged in.

In reference to the FCC compliance.  The manufacturer is required to sell it with a certain antenna, but can the purchaser take on the responsibility of how the FCC compliance is met (or not met) and change the antenna?  Kind of like cars in the US are required to have airbags, but nothing stopping me as the end user disabling them.

Still curious how many watts these things are to asses how their FCC licensing requirements.

For the record I have no problem with the program, I have a problem with mandating an un-tested system.  18k laps is peanuts compared to how many laps get turned per season of Champ (well previous seasons at least).  We all go out and buy a mandated piece of equipment and then find after a few races it really isn't working as planned and either it gets abandoned or the existing units are deemed not sufficient and we have to go buy another unit.  And an item that likely has about $50 worth of parts in it but the buy in cost on the unit is several times that to capture the development cost.

Something something.... AMB transponder costs and options something.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

As someone that has volunteered to run a couple different units in 2 cars, there is no question flagtronics is a of significant help, this device will not be ignored once installed.

can you clarify?  How can it know when the driver can see the next flag station?

Or are you saying that no longer matters and you just go WOT as soon as that light blinks green?

7 hours ago, morganf said:

Its the pit timer now too?  I remember that being a potential but didn't know that was in place yet???

14 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

can you clarify?  How can it know when the driver can see the next flag station?

Or are you saying that no longer matters and you just go WOT as soon as that light blinks green?

Is the system working for local yellows now or just full course?

6 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

Pretend your personal spotter just radioed the main flag went green, use best judgment from there,  you can and will be called in if you ignore the next slow acting flagger, the device also shows personal black flags, no more wondering if its you or the other 2 cars in your pack.

Not sure why the hate.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2