Flagtronics, is full implementation still on schedule?

7 hours ago, Ian said:

When will the units be available for sale, and will there be a full scale test at the fall Road America event?

VIR is the last scheduled test before they are for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

Some information on the FT200 & System Overview

A few notes from ChampCar races.

• Mount the FT200 horizontally and in driver line of sight.
  • The screen has a letter for the flag condition. Y for yellow, G for green, R for Red. These are to help color blind drivers. The text is inverted to keep most of the screen the color of the flag.
  • If possible, mount the FT200 in a place that will allow the light sensor on the rear of the unit to compensate for ambient brightness. The FT200 will darken at night and get bright in the daylight automatically. There are programmable brightness curves you can set to change this however you want. The buttons on the FT200 can also be programmed to ignore the light sensor and offer different brightness levels manually with a button press.
  • The FT200 can communicate via CAN bus to Dash systems, loggers, & telemetry systems to send the current flag state.

FT200 ideal mounting locations

pYbnS-0XUNjIygfqRWOat9s_Xh5fNTiAYl5qr_l5_92KSEPjnWCiC2Axjl49mGb3XeNxsXIraawTo9aEpgYlak70WYv6qnk7lKwDb4yoNblmVWxLIQhrdIMhyqRNLcQeRrNVn5kl

GPS mounting locations
jTALL0-3j7JHeri07IaxNe_mm73b0JaoCm-B74gX4EfyA8o0eqMfqbz1Wr4Wuh8vxH6a5-rWXIgUQtNwkIh4f1DIIHY50y5PSVked3RDW0iJPdgKBzIaScxZAlXLb7qD-HRPJrgL

So, it can send flag state to your logger via CAN which is great, can it read GPS from your logger? It wouldn’t save you much, but you would only have to have one GPS antenna instead of two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mhr650 said:

So, it can send flag state to your logger via CAN which is great, can it read GPS from your logger? It wouldn’t save you much, but you would only have to have one GPS antenna instead of two.

Yes, that is something that can be done as a feature addition. We'll add it to the feature request list. There are some other CAN messages we'll make available over time too that customers will likely find useful. 

I should note that some Dash, logging, & telemetry systems will have very specific formatting and/or will not accept an external GPS CAN reference as a source for lap times, etc. So this is a request that makes a lot of sense until you try to implement only to find that your system can't or won't actually use it in the way you hoped. You can PM me and/or you can email sales@flagtronics.com to determine what system you are using and work on the implementation specifics.

• Like 5

On 7/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, vtjballeng said:

Yes, that is something that can be done as a feature addition. We'll add it to the feature request list. There are some other CAN messages we'll make available over time too that customers will likely find useful. 

I should note that some Dash, logging, & telemetry systems will have very specific formatting and/or will not accept an external GPS CAN reference as a source for lap times, etc. So this is a request that makes a lot of sense until you try to implement only to find that your system can't or won't actually use it in the way you hoped. You can PM me and/or you can email sales@flagtronics.com to determine what system you are using and work on the implementation specifics.

Any chance you will do a write up on sending data from the FT to a RaceCapture.  For the slightly less tech savy of us?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Any chance you will do a write up on sending data from the FT to a RaceCapture.  For the slightly less tech savy of us?

This.  100%.

• Like 4

• Technical Advisory Committee
4 hours ago, Chappy said:

I placed an order last night… they took my money.  :)

Yep, I ordered and paid on July 27th!  Hoping they deliver them to me on Friday.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 7:31 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

This.  100%.

Would this be to have one GPS module instead of two?

Would that work? I am not sure if there is a way to perform a true realtime time deterministic assignment to channel. So if you set the coordinate it might happen at time T or T+small_delta.

Maybe a few milliseconds doesn't matter.

It would work if you could set the coordinate and the time in the same function call.

9 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Would that work? I am not sure if there is a way to perform a true realtime time deterministic assignment to channel. So if you set the coordinate it might happen at time T or T+small_delta.

It would work if you could set the coordinate and the time in the same function call.

Naw.  Just so I can use my existing dash to show the flags.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

that makes sense!

Should be easy, you can create CAN channels without any scripting I think.

Would be great if they could have native support for it, so a large overlay of the screen gets yellow.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:16 PM, Ian said:

Yes! I expect we will have a full writeup for RC by October and presets for the system earlier than that.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:31 PM, Chris Huggins said:

Yep, I ordered and paid on July 27th!  Hoping they deliver them to me on Friday.

Yes, we have units for teams racing at VIR24 who wish to purchase now. One caveat; You will need to perform a future firmware update for races after VIR24.

12 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

Looks like they closed the ordering, I wasn't able to buy one. "not available at this time"

We "closed" ordering a few months ago but there is still a breadcrumb trail others are finding to get through the website and order. We want to restrict orders to VIR24 teams currently and will open it up further soon and should have it up for direct sales at the track. We'll be available at registration with units.

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It's also very helpful for race analysis afterwards, real-time analysis, and for race strategy. 

11 hours ago, turbogrill said:

that makes sense!

Should be easy, you can create CAN channels without any scripting I think.

Would be great if they could have native support for it, so a large overlay of the screen gets yellow.

The CAN output will be user programmable to allow use on a variety of dash and logger systems. We will have native support with RC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, turbogrill said:

RTOS should be able to handle this....but then you are starting to get into avionics mode :). I think when I'm done screwing around with HPC, I'll go find something to disrupt in a domain I actually enjoy....lol.....

Edited by atxe30

Very impressed with implementation of Flagtronics unit and associated race control hardware at the VIR 24. I drove multiple stints including the worst of the fog without initiating or being on the receiving end of a PUY. @vtjballeng and crew are really working to make a product that takes track safety to Proracing level while pricing it within reach of amateur racing pocket books.

Money well spent!

John

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I drove the track during the red flag doing observation laps to see if we could go back to racing. The red flag signage was the only landmarks that we could see. And when I say see, I mean they were absolute badass. 

We took Ballenger out for one of those laps so he could see what we were seeing. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

So the website is showing sold out already.  Did I miss my oppertunity?

No, we have lots of units here, but want the next updated firmware to go out. I can understand the frustration of the wait, but I think this next update will make it well worth it. And I believe we have more than enough for every team in ChampCar, even amidst the crazy semiconductor shortage! An announcement will be posted everywhere once we are ready to unload all these.1978308256_ImagefromiOS(23).jpg.258240de870bfc42479e63b4201b20c1.jpg

14 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

Very impressed with implementation of Flagtronics unit and associated race control hardware at the VIR 24. I drove multiple stints including the worst of the fog without initiating or being on the receiving end of a PUY. @vtjballeng and crew are really working to make a product that takes track safety to Proracing level while pricing it within reach of amateur racing pocket books.

Money well spent!

John

Thank you for your report and kind words about the Flagtronics system! We were also very pleased with how well the event went and will continue to improve on it.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Aleric Sanders said:

No, we have lots of units here, but want the next updated firmware to go out. I can understand the frustration of the wait, but I think this next update will make it well worth it. And I believe we have more than enough for every team in ChampCar, even amidst the crazy semiconductor shortage! An announcement will be posted everywhere once we are ready to unload all these.1978308256_ImagefromiOS(23).jpg.258240de870bfc42479e63b4201b20c1.jpg

Thank you for your report and kind words about the Flagtronics system! We were also very pleased with how well the event went and will continue to improve on it.

Can I just pay now and you send when ready?  We're just hoping to get one in time for install for RA winter classic.