Official 2020 - Calabogie Motorsports Park 8+7-Hour Enduros

Bill Strong

On 8/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, Rich said:

Hey.

Calabogie has a short track (stadium) which I hope we are running. 

Also some people don't dont pre register. My team is going and we are not on the list yet. 

Hopefully your team can make it

*edit another car just signed up.

The Stadium layout is a hoot. Even if there is only a dozen or so cars it would be good time. 

• Like 3

On 8/3/2020 at 4:29 PM, petawawarace said:

It’s $1600 CAD for all 9 races.   
Im not trying to be a downer, but with 10 cars it’s just not worth it for us.  This is no slight against the organizers. It’s a tough time.  But I’m not going to go lapping for 15hrs.  We are simply looking for our best bang for our buck.  With only 10 cars, that’s not it.   

Just looked up the Calabogie challenge series rules, and results. Looks like 30 minute race? 9 races @ 30 minutes per = 4.5hrs of race time

4.5hrs @ 1600 = $178/hr of race time. where as Champcar 15hrs @ 1300 USD approx 1750CAD = $117/hr

Price shouldnt even be on your radar here, best value in true racing track time we have found.

If your looking for more people to race with go to your Challenge series buddies and explain it how i just showed and maybe more will sign up? It really is a great value In my opinion.

If it wasnt sharing a weekend with Gingerman wed be headed up there, as im sure a few other teams would be as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

You guys know the border is closed to the US right?  Can't come up if you tried.

Assuming your Americans...

Yes sir some of us are from the USA and we also were on the books for the northern races with two cars until the covid hit. Only way to keep the series alive is to be a supporter.

Understand there are always other options to race but as was pointed out Champcar still gives the most valve for the bucks or loony's spent.

No matter what happens have fun at the track and enjoy it!

• Like 1

They really need to eliminate scheduling races on the same weekends so that those of us who want to support both series can do so. We are only running at Calabogie because the border is still foolishly closed.

I've done my share of Chumpcar and Champcar races and as good as they all have been the Gingerman event in 2019 was sublime. The atmosphere, the track, the paddock, the organizers, the race teams and crew, the spectator areas etc were all the best I have experienced.

I highly recommend Gingerman to every Champcar team.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, petawawarace said:

You guys know the border is closed to the US right?  Can't come up if you tried.

Assuming your Americans...

Border wasn't closed when they scheduled the race, and it won't be closed forever. But thanks for the tip, boss.

• Sad 1

I doubt if Calabogie is going to get an official result thread so I'll do my thanking here instead of there.

This was the best run Canadian event since Chumpcar (if we're allowed to say that) began coming up here and we've only missed one or two events. Despite the low car count, Carl did an absolutely bang up job running the whole weekend and his crew were just as good. I can't remember the name of the big guy who was patrolling pit lane but he was everywhere at once, informing all the teams about everything, correcting our mistakes without yelling and those whistles as cars rolled through pit lane reminded me of Mosport back in 1972. Why on Earth did we stop using pit lane whistles!

Saturday's race was an interesting one as we had to pit for 6+ minutes to reset the camber because one of the curbs messed that up and thanks to Jay and Chris at Powersports Garage for actually coming down pit lane to fix it for us and eyeball the camber. We were basically 3 laps down the entire race but we plugged away and got all the back to the lead lap, got in to 2nd place with about 20 minutes to go and were chasing down the struggling leader as the time ticked off. The leader had a moment approaching quarry and that got us within a couple of seconds and then a fortuitous black flag for the leader gave us top spot with ten minutes to go.

This is where it gets more interesting. My youngest son radios in saying he has no clutch and is stuck in 3rd gear and is in a panic so we had no choice but to do the final three or four laps with the Acura formerly known as Mopar not gaining at a significant rate. Made it to the end and won our first race!!

Not only did Jay sort out our problem early in the race, he allowed us to use his garage, his and tools to get our transmission out and clutch changed. Thanks to Trevor at Twoth for the clutch!

My brother in law got the car back together just before 11 and Jay and Chris did the alignment for us again in the morning and we took the green flag for Sunday's and ecstatic that we had to take a lap penalty for a win. Sundays race saw the top three running nose to tail for 90 full minutes until the leader had to stop and Red Cow did a fantastic job of keeping our car in sight and effectively a lap down. The gap between us and Red Cow remained consistent throughout the day and even when they obviously backed way out to conserve their tires all we could manage was to get back on the lead lap about two minutes back. P2 is also very nice!

Congrats to Red Cow for their win, they absolutely deserved but I hope we kept them honest for the entire day.

On another note, the racing was the cleanest I have ever seen and even though there were fewer cars every single driver in every single stint was very courteous and I commend them for a great weekend.

Lord, please let the borders open for 2021 so our buddies from the USA can venture up here and increase the car count. Calabogie is an absolute diamond and we desperately need to support the race up here and Carl, the organizer.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Richard said:

I doubt if Calabogie is going to get an official result thread so I'll do my thanking here instead of there.

This was the best run Canadian event since Chumpcar (if we're allowed to say that) began coming up here and we've only missed one or two events. Despite the low car count, Carl did an absolutely bang up job running the whole weekend and his crew were just as good. I can't remember the name of the big guy who was patrolling pit lane but he was everywhere at once, informing all the teams about everything, correcting our mistakes without yelling and those whistles as cars rolled through pit lane reminded me of Mosport back in 1972. Why on Earth did we stop using pit lane whistles!

Saturday's race was an interesting one as we had to pit for 6+ minutes to reset the camber because one of the curbs messed that up and thanks to Jay and Chris at Powersports Garage for actually coming down pit lane to fix it for us and eyeball the camber. We were basically 3 laps down the entire race but we plugged away and got all the back to the lead lap, got in to 2nd place with about 20 minutes to go and were chasing down the struggling leader as the time ticked off. The leader had a moment approaching quarry and that got us within a couple of seconds and then a fortuitous black flag for the leader gave us top spot with ten minutes to go.

This is where it gets more interesting. My youngest son radios in saying he has no clutch and is stuck in 3rd gear and is in a panic so we had no choice but to do the final three or four laps with the Acura formerly known as Mopar not gaining at a significant rate. Made it to the end and won our first race!!

Not only did Jay sort out our problem early in the race, he allowed us to use his garage, his and tools to get our transmission out and clutch changed. Thanks to Trevor at Twoth for the clutch!

My brother in law got the car back together just before 11 and Jay and Chris did the alignment for us again in the morning and we took the green flag for Sunday's and ecstatic that we had to take a lap penalty for a win. Sundays race saw the top three running nose to tail for 90 full minutes until the leader had to stop and Red Cow did a fantastic job of keeping our car in sight and effectively a lap down. The gap between us and Red Cow remained consistent throughout the day and even when they obviously backed way out to conserve their tires all we could manage was to get back on the lead lap about two minutes back. P2 is also very nice!

Congrats to Red Cow for their win, they absolutely deserved but I hope we kept them honest for the entire day.

On another note, the racing was the cleanest I have ever seen and even though there were fewer cars every single driver in every single stint was very courteous and I commend them for a great weekend.

Lord, please let the borders open for 2021 so our buddies from the USA can venture up here and increase the car count. Calabogie is an absolute diamond and we desperately need to support the race up here and Carl, the organizer.

I had 4 cars coming your way and then ........ Next year 

4 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Sorry, I thought that Carls guys would make it. It's made, and congrats on the win! 

Awesome.  I only wanted it made so we could praise how flawless this event was.

And thank you sir! 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, Richard said:

Nice write up. Congrats on the good results.

Our team would love to do Calabogie. Hopefully they do not schedule it the same weekend as other events.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, Richard said:

Two things can happen when the entire field is made up of Canadian teams:

1. Everyone is courteous and gives point-bys and makes clean passes, or

2. They drive like they play hockey (carnage) but they apologize afterwards.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mender said:

Two things can happen when the entire field is made up of Canadian teams:

1. Everyone is courteous and gives point-bys and makes clean passes, or

2. They drive like they play hockey (carnage) but they apologize afterwards.

I believe there was only 1 incident with contact. And it was minor door to door at turn in contact. 

• Like 1