We are holding out hope that the Watkins Glen event takes place, but even if it doesn't, somewhere there is going to be the "first" race after the Covid shutdown. What steps are you considering taking in managing your race weekend to minimize infection risk and allaying possible anxiety of both teammates and those loved one's staying at home?

How best can we mitigate risk in tech, registration, drivers meetings, et cetera... not just for ourselves, but also for the Champcar staff?

Trolling for suggestions that I can pass off as my own to my much better half.

• Like 1

I have been working on the ChampCar staff side of this issue. We have some members that are working on ye front line and my wife is a dnp and offering suggestions.  

We have a supplier for kn95 respirators that we will be supplying to our staff and most likely practicing safe distancing.

We will also be working under the tracks recommendations. Which they most likely will have some.

We will want all teams that have not teched in 2020 to send the minimum crew needed to have the car teched.  

But we are still working on these issues. And will post them up as we get closer to each event 

• Like 3

A couple of areas that should be looked at seriously to reduce contact will be registration and tech.   Could gear check be done by the participant and signed off before the event?  I would guess the tracks are looking closely at how to do waiver signing with out umpty squat people having to touch the same paper and pen.  Same for registration, there has to be a way of doing this with out subjecting Champ staff to everyone's floating cooties.  

21 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

We will want all teams that have not teched in 2020 to send the minimum crew needed to have the car teched.  

So I will have to take the car myself while my team all sits and drinks beer at the trailer? Gotcha. Wait.... what's changing here???

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

I have been working on the ChampCar staff side of this issue. We have some members that are working on ye front line and my wife is a dnp and offering suggestions.  

We have a supplier for kn95 respirators that we will be supplying to our staff and most likely practicing safe distancing.

We will also be working under the tracks recommendations. Which they most likely will have some.

But we are still working on these issues. And will post them up as we get closer to each event 

I think someone previously suggested tech 'appointments'. 

This is a fantastic idea, for 2 reasons:
1. Forces tech to keep to a schedule, keeps the line moving, eliminates diving off into tangeants, unnecessarily long conversations, etc.
2. Allows the team to participate in the test day (if there is one) or have more time in the paddock prepping for the race.

Oh yeah, and more social distancing.

If the issue is that the team is not prepared, doesn't have necessary paperwork, needs corrections, etc, then bump them to the end, give them time to resolve it, and have them sign up for another slot. Certainly tech should give the car a full safety once-over so if there are multiple safety items those can all be addressed.

Am I missing something as to why this wouldn't work?

Edited by Slugworks Paul
6 minutes ago, mender said:

BYOTP?

Good idea.

We are renting an RV at Watkins so we can be as self contained as possible, but the aformentioned "tub of wipes" should be parked right next to the door handle to the Media Center and the bathroom entrance 🙂 #keepthegloveson

I’d be more worried about the drivers meeting, post race bbq, and the mandatory training for newbies, everything else can be done with social distancing.  That is where alternative ideas are needed.

6 hours ago, cbhaywood said:

Good idea.

We are renting an RV at Watkins so we can be as self contained as possible, but the aformentioned "tub of wipes" should be parked right next to the door handle to the Media Center and the bathroom entrance 🙂 #keepthegloveson

FWIW...Chin Motorsports canceled their May 11-12 event at WGI. 

8 hours ago, Snorman said:

FWIW...Chin Motorsports canceled their May 11-12 event at WGI. 

They didn't really have a choice with that.  NYS is on Stay At Home orders through May 15 and we haven't had any relaxation of the essential business list at this point.

4 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

They didn't really have a choice with that.  NYS is on Stay At Home orders through May 15 and we haven't had any relaxation of the essential business list at this point.

It's county by county now.  We are free at last in our county.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

Yes, I know. Was just passing along some info. Hopefully Cuomo doesn't decide to extend...

1 hour ago, DEE DEE said:

The county that Watkins Glen is in only has 19 confirmed cases, 0 in the last 10 days & 0 deaths.  Cuomo has left it up to each county now.  

giphy.gif

Edited by red0

We built a contactless check in solution for the construction business, but it really could be used or modified to work for things like race check in.  

https://www.jobsitecheck.com/

This solution is not really construction specific, that's just who initially asked us to develop it.  Really any business that needs to track check ins and stuff could use this solution.

I could see a tweak to the questionnaire to ask things like What is your Team Name or Car number.  We could probably add the Tech Form to this also...hmmmm

..and yes, that's me as the "actor" in the demo video.  🙂

• Like 5
5 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Since there would be fewer competitors (assumption), I think moving to every other, garage, paddock spot, and pit stall would be wise.  

Really ?  the event is sold out with a wait list,  you think there is only  going to be 21 cars?   42 pits

2 hours ago, DEE DEE said:

Really ?  the event is sold out with a wait list,  you think there is only  going to be 21 cars?   42 pits

I did, yeah.  Maybe I'm really wrong about that.