Enclosed Trailer Mods

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from a flat bed to an older enclosed trailer - Road Atlanta snowmaggeden was the last straw! It is basically a blank canvas for us to set up as a dedicated racing trailer so I'm looking for cool mod ideas that essentially make going racing easier in terms of having all the gear staged and ready to go.

The only issue with the new trailer so far is that the car is very close to grounding out on the bottom of the door as it's driven in/out. It's a the typical set up of drop-door and short hinged board to reduce the ramp angle. It seems like I will need to reduce the ramp angle further and there are many ways to do this but I wondered what other people have done to overcome the problem.

Also looking for ideas on how to set up the trailer, DIY tire racks, fold away benches, securing heavy items like tools boxes, jacks and axle stands etc.

Cheers!

We decided to make the upgrade to an enclosed trailer after 2 races with pouring rain.  So I understand snowmaggeden being your driving force!

For a DIY tire rack, what we did was mount E-Track across the back for 2x4s.  There is a long bolt we stick in the middle to keep them from spreading. 

Another storage thing we did that works good is a cubby we made in the back the between the wheel well and door.  We put spare parts like shocks and calipers back there.  Moves some of the weight from the front and uses up some dead space.

For the front we have  lots of e-track to strap down the carts and whatnot.  Its like playing tetris loading the trailer but we have a pretty good routine down now.

Here is a pic of the tire rack and rear storage bin.  Everything isnt tied down but you can see how we have it assembled

trailer.thumb.jpg.3b1b5e9267f440106696fe9f291107e4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would say your first step would be sketching up a layout. What you have for floor space will fill up quickly with paddock essentials. Try to think vertically and make use of wall space. Establish the real estate your car needs and then work from that. Remember to always account for totes of spare parts and whatnot. Its no fun emptying a truck at the end of a long weekend.

Tire racks - these are my go-to https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Organizers/MaxxTow/MT70489.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The timing of this thread is perfect! i recently made some changes, here's a good picture that captures a lot of them (28' interior space)

6CF44D71-0644-4007-B94D-CAC54E05D6C6.jpeg

-LED light strips, splicing into the stock light wiring. Super bright
-Added a couple spare tire mounts, one is e-track mounted and one was screwed into the wall, as high as possible. Thinking vertically is also what I tried to do to clear floor space
-2 E-track shelves int he middle-ish of the trailer, and one in the front/bulkhead area.

-I already had the two folding tire racks, one in the rear right and one at the front left
-Added an organizer on the inside of the door
-I already had a section of E-track I use to strap the wagon up to the ceiling.
-Lots of anchors on the walls and floor for securing random stuff. I have a spare trans on a moving dolly that I strap to the floor.
-I have an electric tongue jack and can't recommend that improvement enough, I converted to a spare car battery to ensure I have good run time for the lights and jack.

Super happy with the results, much better use of space and much less that will need to be shoved onto the floor. Unfortunately adding stuff means adding weight, but I tried to be at least somewhat conscious about where and how much I was adding.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mickindy14 said:

We crank up the front to reduce the angle.

I can't do this when hitched up to the truck. I can when not hitched up but it launches the trailer front (when empty) upwards as the car rolls in. I guess I have a fat race car!

I think I need to add blocks of some kind to the bottom of the drop door so it sits up a few inches from the ground...and then add a longer hinged board to lengthen the ramp and reduce the angle.

1 hour ago, theflyingferret said:

Already some seeing some really great ideas coming in. Definitely looks like E-Track and the folding tire rack are the way forward.

Please, keep them coming. hopefully sharing this info is helpful to many people.

Those folding racks are not super robust for a dynamic environment like a trailer.. after hearing about some people having them bend I reinforced mine. I’ll post pics of what I did.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theflyingferret said:

I can't do this when hitched up to the truck. I can when not hitched up but it launches the trailer front (when empty) upwards as the car rolls in. I guess I have a fat race car!

I think I need to add blocks of some kind to the bottom of the drop door so it sits up a few inches from the ground...and then add a longer hinged board to lengthen the ramp and reduce the angle.

You can do that or you can drive the rear wheels of the truck up on blocks which reduces the ramp breakover angle. 

I use my electric tongue jack, even with truck still hitched, to jack up maybe 4-6 inches. It's enough to relieve all the tongue weight on the truck and pull up on the ball just a little bit. My car isn't very low though.

45 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Those folding racks are not super robust for a dynamic environment like a trailer.. after hearing about some people having them bend I reinforced mine. I’ll post pics of what I did.

I have had great luck with them. I also only ever tow with a torsion axle trailer. Its more like pulling a pillow behind the truck haha. Leaf springs can be violent

17 minutes ago, MFBense said:

I have had great luck with them. I also only ever tow with a torsion axle trailer. Its more like pulling a pillow behind the truck haha. Leaf springs can be violent

Mine is torsion axle as well but I really didn't want wheels/tires falling onto my car, lol!

37FA6A72-59AB-4817-A600-9F0164816B42.jpeg

I added that backup cable in case that tension bar fails. on the front telescoping assembly I added a steel square tube over it all because I was advised those telescoping bars tend to sag. I just added it on the outer bar as the wall will catch it if the inner bar sags.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2020 at 8:11 AM, collinskl1 said:

Do y'all find that cabinets at the front of the trailer are useful, or do you keep tools, parts, etc in separate toolboxes and totes for taking out of the trailer at the track?

Top Cabinets only for us in our next one. Bottom Ones end up filled with totes anyways. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Slugworks Paul said:

You can do that or you can drive the rear wheels of the truck up on blocks which reduces the ramp breakover angle. 

I use my electric tongue jack, even with truck still hitched, to jack up maybe 4-6 inches. It's enough to relieve all the tongue weight on the truck and pull up on the ball just a little bit. My car isn't very low though.

Hi Paul, I don't suppose you have a link handy for the Electric Tongue Jack?

20 minutes ago, theflyingferret said:

Hi Paul, I don't suppose you have a link handy for the Electric Tongue Jack?

Sure do. I have an older version of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9HOQVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purposely got one a bit oversized to make sure I didn't get close to overloading it and hopefully lending to it's longevity. Has worked flawlessly!

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9HOQVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purposely got one a bit oversized to make sure I didn't get close to overloading it and hopefully lending to it's longevity. Has worked flawlessly!

Impressive price too! Thanks, I'll get one ordered.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, Slugworks Paul said:

Thanks, you just caused me to spend another $120 I wasn't counting on.

• Haha 1

One thing that has helped me tremendously (that I wished I had done years ago) was the way my toolbox was attached to the trailer. I roll my full tool chest out of the trailer frequently so the concept of strapping it down with e track or whatever can get annoying and make the tool box unusable while in the trailer.

bolted some L angle to the studs in the trailer and welded the receivers to it.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3