Bill Strong

Official 2020 - Willow Springs 8+7-Hour Enduro - Big Willow- Price reduced to $999

WillowSprings-Outlines.png

Big Willow is on!

June 20-June 21, 2020
WILLOW SPRINGS RACEWAY: 8+7 Enduros, $999
Rosamond, CA
"Willow Springs"

Entrant List
Download Supplemental Rules and Event Info

Let's go racing!

We know there are a lot of Lemons and LD racers out there looking for some track time. If we get more than 10 EC cars we will trophy out to 3rd place in EC

Pre-Tech by Skype

For those individuals who are concerned about interacting with ChampCar tech staff and the transfer of germs/viruses/bacteria, ChampCar is offering Pre-Tech by Skype from the safety of your own garage.  This is a full vehicle inspection done the same way as it would be done in person.  If you are interested in this service here’s how to sign up:

• Ensure you have what is needed to do a video call (high speed internet connection, camera, audio).
  • Contact jay.mauney@champcar.org and request an appointment.  Appointments are limited so don’t wait too long.
  • Print out a ChampCar tech sheet and completely fill it out before your meeting.
  • At your tech appointment you will show Tech all aspects of your car and answer any questions tech has.  If your car passes inspection, Jay will send you an email confirming your success.
  • When you arrive at the track have one team member drive your car to tech and pull into the line marked “Pre-Tech Cars”.  A ChampCar tech official will ask for your confirmation email.  No email and they will ask you to move to the regular line.
  • With your email in hand, the ChampCar tech official will walk around your car one time to confirm everything from your Skype call is there.  They will then place an annual tech decal on your car and you are done and ready to race.

Despite the nature of this inspection being via teleconference, all the same rules and policies apply.  You are required to disclose all details of your car.  If aspects of your car are hidden and later discovered at the track, whether at pre-tech confirmation, post race impound or anywhere in between, you can be moved to EC or disqualified or removed from the track.  Our hope is that this new option can alleviate the fears some of you may have about direct contact this summer and help speed up our current tech process.  If you have any questions, email info@champcar.org.

Entries for Willow Springs

updated 6/11/2020   Limited to 50 entries

Team Name Car # Year Make Model
1.   Blown My Wad 135 1994 BMW 328 I
2.   Chandler School 627 1985 Ford Mustang
3.   Eurotek Tuning 302 2001 BMW 330i Spec
4.   Eurotek Tuning 2 303 2006 Acura RSX-S
5.   Formula33 133 1989 Pontiac Firebird
6.   Irreverent Racing 13 1995 Ford Mustang
7.   LEFTOVER PARTS RACING 74 1984 MAZDA RX7
8.   Ran When Parked Racing 96 1976 Oldsmobile Omega
9.   Rotundo Racing 7 2001 Honda Prelude
10.   Rusty Duck Racing 99 2004 Mazda RX-8
11.   Sorry for Party Racing 35 2007 Pontiac Solstice
12.   Takata R&D 192 1993 Honda Accord
13.   team 5.slow 501 1993 Ford Mustang
14.   Team Roto Plooker 37 1990 Mazda RX7
15.   Team Tangerine Dream 570 1990 Honda Civic
16.   THE COVID CREW 19 1994 Ford Mustang
17.   Uncommon Friends Racing 46 1978 Datsun 280Z
18.   USA Racing 891 1985 Nissan 300 ZX
19.   Zoom Zoom Kaboom 184 1994 Mazda Miata

Is there a minimum number of entries before race is "on"? Two drivers are traveling from Chicago, need to arrange flights, etc...

Edited by mschiap

If COTA cancels I'm going to Willow.  Besides, I heard Bruce replaced his dented door after Sonoma so we have a dent we have to give again.  😆

My understanding is this race is going on no matter what.  Willow Springs is open for business even today.  So this race won't be canceled by the state/city/track.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

I'm betting it will be the drivers side door this time.  I can feel a "dive bomb" coming into Turn 3 (the left-hander up the hill) <smile>

Just now, Voodoo Child said:

I'm betting it will be the drivers side door this time.  I can feel a "dive bomb" coming into Turn 3 (the left-hander up the hill) <smile>

I do apologize and you should know I'm kidding.  And that driver isn't in the car now.  If we come to willow it will be fun and clean.  :)

I sent out a group email over the weekend to alert past West Coast participants to the reduction in the entry fee. Whatever we can do to contact our fellow racers and increase car count will add to the fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voodoo Child said:

I sent out a group email over the weekend to alert past West Coast participants to the reduction in the entry fee. Whatever we can do to contact our fellow racers and increase car count will add to the fun!

Send a note to Perry maybe he will stop playing golf or playing with the new desert truck long enough to throw an engine in the car and do this race. 

Willow Springs has something that very few other race tracks in the country have:  It's OPEN!

I do apologize and you should know I'm kidding.  And that driver isn't in the car now.  If we come to willow it will be fun and clean.  :)

Absolutely no hard feelings. There are lots of different levels of driving skill. Your driver reeled us in and was looking to get by. Handling and Brakes vs. horsepower. It's a drama (tragedy? comedy?) that plays out at every racetrack in every race.  Even Lando Norris and Simon Pagenaud discovered that in iRacing recently!

• Thanks 1

Oh look... we aren't registered. And here we are talking like we're going or something. 

Gah! 

We'll also give @Jer something to aim for as well. Take the heat off the Datsun. 😉

Edited by FlorahDorah
  • Haha 1

We are trying for COTA.  If that doesn't work, the NL.  But Willow is a possibility if COTA falls through, the question would be can I get the drivers...

3 minutes ago, Jer said:

We are trying for COTA.  If that doesn't work, the NL.  But Willow is a possibility if COTA falls through, the question would be can I get the drivers...

It is $133 Fl to Tx   Wonder how much to Willow.

30 minutes ago, Jer said:

@Alchemy Autosport....

7 hours ago, Jer said:

i can bring my gear.

Kidding as I am woirking

On 5/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, Team Infiniti said:

It is $133 Fl to Tx   Wonder how much to Willow.

Couple hours from LAX. Fly to Burbank it’s an easier airport and quicker trip to lovely Rosamond. Stop at In n Out on Ave I for a Double Double. Maybe Carl’s Motel is still around for a cheap motel room too. Great track to drive. My all time favorite at this point in my life. Go for it. 

Edited by TimS
Extra info
  • Like 1

arrive at LAX at 11am to 12 noon, on Thursday June 18. I will be arriving around that time with Jay. You can hitch a ride with us.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, Alchemy Autosport said:

We are super tentative...

I can see the number 1 on the list with your name displacing Chandler School

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, Alchemy Autosport said:

We are super tentative...

Bring it by my shop. We'll stick the 2.4 motor in it.  More horsepower for speed and the extra pounds will give you more "road hugging weight" (that's a reference back to a Ford Pinto commercial that compared their car to the Chevy Vega-you can tell how old I am!!)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Voodoo Child said:

Bring it by my shop. We'll stick the 2.4 motor in it.  More horsepower for speed and the extra pounds will give you more "road hugging weight" (that's a reference back to a Ford Pinto commercial that compared their car to the Chevy Vega-you can tell how old I am!!)

I think that was between the Pinto MPG and the Chevette Scooter. Maybe you're (and I'm) older than you (we) think!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/02/are-fat-people-driving-up-the-price-of-gas-are-they-the-source-of-the-greenhouse-effect/?relatedposts_hit=1&relatedposts_origin=1991&relatedposts_position=0

Edited by mender

With COTA a go I won't be out this year.  Have fun y'all, maybe next year!

23 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

Wouldnt mind having someone else putting the rear subframe back together and installed, add all of the heat shielding, reinstalling the trans, put the intake back together and take it to the dyno!!  Oh and trying to figure out what rules and safety requirements that are not in the BCCR that are somehow required to get on track ;) 

• Haha 1

Pre-Tech by Skype

For those individuals who are concerned about interacting with ChampCar tech staff and the transfer of germs/viruses/bacteria, ChampCar is offering Pre-Tech by Skype from the safety of your own garage.  This is a full vehicle inspection done the same way as it would be done in person.  If you are interested in this service here’s how to sign up:

• Ensure you have what is needed to do a video call (high speed internet connection, camera, audio).
  • Contact jay.mauney@champcar.org and request an appointment.  Appointments are limited so don’t wait too long.
  • Print out a ChampCar tech sheet and completely fill it out before your meeting.
  • At your tech appointment you will show Tech all aspects of your car and answer any questions tech has.  If your car passes inspection, Jay will send you an email confirming your success.
  • When you arrive at the track have one team member drive your car to tech and pull into the line marked “Pre-Tech Cars”.  A ChampCar tech official will ask for your confirmation email.  No email and they will ask you to move to the regular line.
  • With your email in hand, the ChampCar tech official will walk around your car one time to confirm everything from your Skype call is there.  They will then place an annual tech decal on your car and you are done and ready to race.

Despite the nature of this inspection being via teleconference, all the same rules and policies apply.  You are required to disclose all details of your car.  If aspects of your car are hidden and later discovered at the track, whether at pre-tech confirmation, post race impound or anywhere in between, you can be moved to EC or disqualified or removed from the track.  Our hope is that this new option can alleviate the fears some of you may have about direct contact this summer and help speed up our current tech process.  If you have any questions, email info@champcar.org.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:15 PM, Alchemy Autosport said:

Oh and trying to figure out what rules and safety requirements that are not in the BCCR that are somehow required to get on track ;) 

it's in the supps.