Corvette Champcar

gundy

My neighbor and I were bench racing over the weekend and came to this conclusion. A 68 thru 82 Corvette running a automatic trans is a 75 pt car weither it's a 350, 427 or 454, that gives a lot of points for improvements. Biggest problem I see is lack of 15" tires anymore. Any one else have thoughts.

18 minutes ago, gundy said:

you don't they are just cheaper, I'm used to using 15's on our Miata 

I wouldn't think you'd want 15's on a much heavier car with a lot more hp. 

But I think a competitive C3 could be built. I'd just hate to run a carb, lol. Would have to go FI IMO

On 5/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, gundy said:

My neighbor and I were bench racing over the weekend and came to this conclusion. A 68 thru 82 Corvette running a automatic trans is a 75 pt car weither it's a 350, 427 or 454, that gives a lot of points for improvements. Biggest problem I see is lack of 15" tires anymore. Any one else have thoughts.

I wouldn't even entertain running a 15" on a vette.  17 at least and you will have more options and most likely cheaper. Make sure you build up that auto... Big block would be very heavy for road racing I'd think....you can make good power with a SB and not break the bank. We ran a 700r4 in our 84 Trans Am for a few races, even with a manual valve body and a "trick shift" package it always seemed like it was in the wrong gear. You'll have to find a trans/rear combo that works. 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Do not.

We are 3000+lbs and suffering with the biggest, proper compound ,17s 255/40-17 ...Consider as minimum for a vette.

If you look at tire rack they list the "max load" for each size tire. 15's are generally 1200 lbs, 255/17s are 400 to 500 lbs higher. 

Gives you an idea of what loading the tire construction is built for, 15s are optimized for little cars. 

Get some C5 Z06 reproduction wheels. Cheap way to 10" of 17" or 18" rim. 

Just now, theblue said:

beyond the tires, you're going  to want a lot of brakes on this car.  could ls1 swap it and and have a pretty epic build.

Are there any LS vehicles on the VPI list? 

46 minutes ago, theblue said:

beyond the tires, you're going  to want a lot of brakes on this car.  could ls1 swap it and and have a pretty epic build.

We run a C6 kit on our TransAm works great. We also run Sawblades 17x9.5. I think I paid $200 a set (4).  a LS swap would be nice but even a vortex 350 would be pretty quick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Be creative,  C3 Vette made as light as possible, see Visceral racing Porsche.  Then maybe a modern v6 with 250 or so hp and better fuel mileage than a v8.     Plenty of points for custom subframes and such that make it pretty much a tube frame car.   

Having a V6 corvette is like dating 1/2 a woman. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Be creative,  C3 Vette made as light as possible, see Visceral racing Porsche.  Then maybe a modern v6 with 250 or so hp and better fuel mileage than a v8.     Plenty of points for custom subframes and such that make it pretty much a tube frame car.   

C3 can have any swap up to 435 hp (460 hp by the literature) for 50 points. I would use an LFX engine, now legal since the Equinox got added this year (somebody wanted more GM engine options obviously). About 200 lbs lighter than a SBC, direct injection, pretty cheap and can be tuned to get 290 whp. Shipping weight on a '68 is 3055 lbs so 2600 race weight with the V6 should be doable.

Fuel tank is decent sized at 24 gallons for the '78+. It uses a full frame so no 10 point tubular subframe option. 

2600 lbs with 290 whp and 24 gallons. Front/rear weight distribution should be about 45/55 with the V6, big brakes, lots of room for tires, etc, etc, etc. Basically a high-powered Fiero with 24 gallons of fuel. ;)

Edited by mender
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, mender said:

C3 can have any swap up to 435 hp (460 hp by the literature) for 50 points. I would use an LFX engine, now legal since the Equinox got added this year (somebody wanted more GM engine options obviously). About 200 lbs lighter than a SBC, direct injection, pretty cheap and can be tuned to get 290 whp. Shipping weight on a '68 is 3055 lbs so 2600 race weight with the V6 should be doable.

Fuel tank is decent sized at 24 gallons for the '78+. It uses a full frame so no 10 point tubular subframe option. 

2600 lbs with 290 whp and 24 gallons. Front/rear weight distribution should be about 45/55 with the V6, big brakes, lots of room for tires, etc, etc, etc. Basically a high-powered Fiero with 24 gallons of fuel. ;)

You'd still get your mancard pulled. but have at it....lol 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JDChristianson said:

Dating?  Been married to a whole woman for 35 years.   

Just depends on your goals, winning a race or making cool v8 noise.  Both are admirable goals.   

By 35 years, some women are twice the woman that they used to be. Some men, too!

"She had a million dollar figure until inflation set in." ;)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Dating?  Been married to a whole woman for 35 years.   

Just depends on your goals, winning a race or making cool v8 noise.  Both are admirable goals.   

I hear ya I have 23 under my belt, w/ a 24 gallon tank a V8 can make 2 hours. 

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

I hear ya I have 23 under my belt, w/ a 24 gallon tank a V8 can make 2 hours. 

And starting at 150 points.

Good thing they factored in the fuel tank size, the 17 gallon one would have been 10 points. 

2 hours ago, mender said:

And starting at 150 points.

Good thing they factored in the fuel tank size, the 17 gallon one would have been 10 points. 

You forgot to factor optics, having a e30 next to a vette makes good media🤩

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 1