Favorite automotive connector?

Hi

What us your favorite automotive connector?

Seems like DE connectors are popular but cost would be a concern? (Tool and plugs)

I have used weatherpack in the past, not super excited but don't hate them.

What about industrial Ethernet or something similar?

Is there an OEM option that would be interesting? Like a Toyota or GM connector.

This would be used to connect stuff in a race car, low pin stuff as sensors and high pin stuff as harnesses.

Great if it works with small wires as well (22+ awg)

Edited by turbogrill

50 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Hi

What us your favorite automotive connector?

Seems like DE connectors are popular but cost would be a concern? (Tool and plugs)

I have used weatherpack in the past, not super excited but don't hate them.

What about industrial Ethernet or something similar?

Is there an OEM option that would be interesting? Like a Toyota or GM connector.

This would be used to connect stuff in a race car, low pin stuff as sensors and high pin stuff as harnesses.

Great if it works with small wires as well (22+ awg)

I thought gm was weatherpak and now they use like a modified weatherpak. Like Delphi or something.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Deutsch, end of story.

DT style are my choice.  13 amps per terminal.

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/index.php/cPath/109_173

this is the crimper Kit I use.  The oem one is surely better but at $300, pass

I found this on sale for $80 and it includes the metripak/weatherpak/generic crimpers too.

Tool Aid 18700 Master Terminal Tool Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4DCDQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nygUEbQJAM1R6

this, and a normal pocket screw driver, are the only tools needed for depinning connectors.  

image.jpg

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 6

We carry wiring supplies here that are automotive specific:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/

There are a lot of competitors with similar catalogs. We also carry a lot of the stock connectors to sensors, etc.

Nobody should be using Weatherpack these days. They were a 70s era design long ago obsoleted in the Delphi/Packard catalog. Since then they've had several additional design iterations which have also been obsoleted or nearly so. It's the engine equivalent of taking your modern overhead cam engine and putting flat heads on it.

Full Deutsch kits are available such as this: https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4119 . Though we don't have them on the site we have packages for DT & other options as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

We carry wiring supplies here that are automotive specific:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/

There are a lot of competitors with similar catalogs. We also carry a lot of the stock connectors to sensors, etc.

Nobody should be using Weatherpack these days. They were a 70s era design long ago obsoleted in the Delphi/Packard catalog. Since then they've had several additional design iterations which have also been obsoleted or nearly so. It's the engine equivalent of taking your modern overhead cam engine and putting flat heads on it.

Full Deutsch kits are available such as this: https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4119 . Though we don't have them on the site we have packages for DT & other options as well.

Sell me on Deutsch.... I do everything with ring terminals, insulated spade connectors, butt splices, solder, and lots of heat shrink tubing.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, enginerd said:

Sell me on Deutsch.... I do everything with ring terminals, insulated spade connectors, butt splices, solder, and lots of heat shrink tubing.

So easy to crimp and assemble.   Easier to disconnect if necessary.  Waterproof for corrosion resistance.

• Like 4

I love me some Delphi now aptiv metri-pack 150/280. 
There are some very nice double locking connectors, used in a basically all GM products.
What I do is go to a junk yard cut off the connector I want, go to mouser and buy 250 terminal ends and repin/wire to how I want. 
Since we have a GM engine we can re pin both sides. We have very little splices in our car.  The only splices we have are basically power distribution to parallel circuits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, enginerd said:

I second this motion, please sell me i do what this guy does lol

I second deutsch, I use DTM for smaller signal wires and low current applications (most stuff) and DT for higher current.

I bought a used DMC MH860 crimper with a few different turrets for  less than half what a new genuine deutsch crimper sells for. Standard deutsch crimpers don't do the tiny motorsports terminals anyway.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1

Twist-on wire connector - Wikipedia

In 2014 Chumpcar Canada tech told me I couldn't race a car that was wired using "Marrettes". I got this translated to English, and told them it didn't say anything in the rule book. I went on to win that 14 hour race with no wiring issues. Amazing! 

Edited by red0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, red0 said:

Twist-on wire connector - Wikipedia

In 2014 Chumpcar Canada tech told me I couldn't race a car that was wired using "Marrettes". I got this translated to English, and told them it didn't say anything in the rule book. I went on to win that 14 hour race with no wiring issues. Amazing! 

That's because I wired it, temporarily with those and you neglected to make those connections permanent. Credit where credit is due, pal! ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Slugworks Paul said:

That's because I wired it, temporarily with those and you neglected to make those connections permanent. Credit where credit is due, pal! ;)

LOL, yep!  They also said your D16 engine was so powerful that we should not be allowed to race with a 1.5" roll cage. I remember you having some choice words about that. 

Running theory from Florida, where we have no seasonal weather forced upon us:

Canadians have many months of cabin fever to plot, plan and execute ultimate feats world domination, anything below perfection is unacceptable.

Saying that

We fear most northerners. :ph34r:

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, enginerd said:

The Deutsch DTM, DT, & DTP are weatherproof, high reliability, low vibration susceptibility, and when using with solid terminals low user error probability. It's effectively the club sport standard connector system. You buy one tool and you can do all DTM, DT, & DTP crimps. Solid terminals, while expensive, offer simple inspection and lower user error rates than most open barrel crimps.

Open barrel crimps of all types require more skill & validation: https://news.bmotorsports.com/faq/terminal-crimp-validation-charts/

Soldering is, in general, frowned upon in racing due to the wicking effect of solder that can lead to breaks and intermittents within the insulation. 

This is a nice all in one tool that pushes down and allows terminal removal on DTM, DT, DTP:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1381

Butt connectors should either be the heatshrink variety or unsealed with adhesive lined heatshrink over them. https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?x=0&y=0&search_in_description=1&keywords=butt

Heat Shrink tubing is wise for harness protection. 

Spade connectors & ring terminals require high quality crimps and are more susceptible to vibration & corrosion. 

• Like 2

Everyone that uses Deutsch seems very excited about it.

what about strain relief, is that somehow built into the connector? If someone pulls a cord will the connector fall apart or is there something protecting it?

(Imagine a steering wheel with coiled cord and a DE connector at the wheel, drivers tend to throw those around. )