mschiap

rear hatch glass safety film question?

I'd like to run the rear hatch glass, and I understand this is allowable if it is covered with safety film.

If this is a dumb question, I apologize:  Is the film required (or recommended) on the inside, outside, or either side? 

9.1.4. Rear glass may remain in the car provided it is covered by a glass safety film like 3M™ Automotive Window Film Scotchshield™ Security Series.

9.1.4 is quite clear , required. Inside or outside and completely covered.

Yes, lexan much better, much lighter. 

Lexan is interesting stuff. When we made the lexan inserts for the rear hatch on our Z car, we were able to find someone with a programmable oven. Why? If you read the manufacturers literature, lexan is hydroscopic (absorbs water). They recommend you heat it at a lower temperature for a period of time (to get the moisture out), bring it up to "yield temperature" (we formed it over the factory glass), and then cool it down in specific stages (to avoid bubbles). To me learning about all the different engineering technologies that are used in our sport (ie: combustion theory, aerodynamic theories, strength of materials, welding) is one of the most enjoyable aspects of our sport.  

Unfortunately, my buddy's oven won't do the size rear window we need for our next build (and the curve on both ends is pretty extreme), so I will be using factory glass and safety film!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

Unfortunately, my buddy's oven won't do the size rear window we need for our next build (and the curve on both ends is pretty extreme), so I will be using factory glass and safety film!

So there is not somebody that makes one for the Z car? When we ran the 944 they were people that made the rear hatch in Lexan. 

12 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

Lexan is interesting stuff. When we made the lexan inserts for the rear hatch on our Z car, we were able to find someone with a programmable oven. Why? If you read the manufacturers literature, lexan is hydroscopic (absorbs water). They recommend you heat it at a lower temperature for a period of time (to get the moisture out), bring it up to "yield temperature" (we formed it over the factory glass), and then cool it down in specific stages (to avoid bubbles). To me learning about all the different engineering technologies that are used in our sport (ie: combustion theory, aerodynamic theories, strength of materials, welding) is one of the most enjoyable aspects of our sport.  

So you don't have a buddy at a body shop with a heat lamp ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mschiap said:

I'd like to run the rear hatch glass, and I understand this is allowable if it is covered with safety film.

If this is a dumb question, I apologize:  Is the film required (or recommended) on the inside, outside, or either side? 

9.1.4. Rear glass may remain in the car provided it is covered by a glass safety film like 3M™ Automotive Window Film Scotchshield™ Security Series.

Is it just me? Or is anyone else finding it difficult to track down that exact brand of 3M through an online retailer, even amazon/ebay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Franck said:

So you don't have a buddy at a body shop with a heat lamp ?

We didn't even heat ours for the rx7.  It has a pretty serious curve / bend on the sides.  I just started in the middle and riveted my way out.

Been on the car for like 9 years.  No issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MFBense said:

Is it just me? Or is anyone else finding it difficult to track down that exact brand of 3M through an online retailer, even amazon/ebay?

You can use a different, similar product. See the “like” in that rule. Really it should say “such as” because it sounds less dumb. 

3 hours ago, MFBense said:

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty sells what they call "Lexan".  It is really made by Bayer (in America) and their "lexan polycarbonite sheet" is called Makrolon.  Aircraft Spruce has warehouses on the west coast and east coast.

4 hours ago, Burningham said:

So there is not somebody that makes one for the Z car? When we ran the 944 they were people that made the rear hatch in Lexan. 

Next build in not another Z.......

47 minutes ago, Voodoo Child said:

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty sells what they call "Lexan".  It is really made by Bayer (in America) and their "lexan polycarbonite sheet" is called Makrolon.  Aircraft Spruce has warehouses on the west coast and east coast.

Next build in not another Z.......

More importantly, I hope you are running the Z in your picture?

6 hours ago, MFBense said:

Home Depot has a version, for door/window break protection, much thicker than window tint. 3M is only a reference not a mandatory brand.

4 hours ago, turbogrill said:

More importantly, I hope you are running the Z in your picture?

Actually, we built a new car (a 280Z) which finished second on Saturday at this years National Championship at Sonoma (we broke an oil pump drive on Sunday) and was featured on Jay Leno's Garage the other night.  I gave the body shell of my first car-a 240Z- to the Flyin Hawaiians after they totaled their car in the rain in February of 2019.  They added some red to the sides and it looks great. They were on the Leno show also with Adam Carolla driving.  If there is a re-run of the episode its worth checking out. The listing will probably highlight Blake Shelton, who was one of the story lines (he drove one of Elvis' old pickups).

Jay Leno Photo Shoot.jpg

Hawaain Paint.jpg

• Like 1

That is just fantastic!!! Beautiful

We started with a 280zx in terrible shape, knowing nothing about cars and racing it took a while to get it decent. By the time I had figured out the domination recipe the team bought a Miata.

If I could redo it I would do a N47 rebello head and cam with flattop pistons and T3 coilovers. With 15x10 wheels, 20 gallons it should be blistering fast.

Are you racing COTA?

2 hours ago, shamsmehra90 said:

doesn't have any bearing to the story whatsoever.

How ironic?

• Haha 1

What kind of car is it? We are going with a formed Lexan hatch (88 TransAm). It is about $100 more than a sheet of scratch resistant Lexan but it will be a no-fuss install. 

• Like 1

It's for the rear hatch on an RX7, I will be using this from Amazon:

BDF S4MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear 4 Mil (24in X 13f...

24 Inch x 14 Feet $24.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

On 5/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, turbogrill said:

That is just fantastic!!! Beautiful

We started with a 280zx in terrible shape, knowing nothing about cars and racing it took a while to get it decent. By the time I had figured out the domination recipe the team bought a Miata.

If I could redo it I would do a N47 rebello head and cam with flattop pistons and T3 coilovers. With 15x10 wheels, 20 gallons it should be blistering fast.

Are you racing COTA?

We went to COTA the first year Champcar ran there with the old car and finished sixth the first day after leading and getting caught out by a early pit stop/red/yellow flag snafu.  We loved it although it was oppressively hot and humid (for us lightweight Californian's).  

I would love to go back, and considered it this year, but Willow Springs is a week later and we felt is was more important to support the West Coast. 

Your recipe for the 280zx is spot on....just shed as much weight as you can. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voodoo Child said:

We went to COTA the first year Champcar ran there with the old car and finished sixth the first day after leading and getting caught out by a early pit stop/red/yellow flag snafu.  We loved it although it was oppressively hot and humid (for us lightweight Californian's).  

I would love to go back, and considered it this year, but Willow Springs is a week later and we felt is was more important to support the West Coast. 

Your recipe for the 280zx is spot on....just shed as much weight as you can. 

I think I remember your car from Cota, next year!

17 hours ago, mschiap said:

It's for the rear hatch on an RX7, I will be using this from Amazon:

BDF S4MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear 4 Mil (24in X 13f...

24 Inch x 14 Feet $24.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

I'm sure you can find a Lexan pre-formed hatch for that. I know our rear glass weight 40+ lbs. 

1 hour ago, scottyk said:

Five star bodies will make custom lexan windows. They are usually around $200-300.

good to know I'll check with them. I was quoted $450ish