Daytona top speeds

MMiskoe

Trying to sort out what gearing might be needed for Daytona, it is not like a lot of tracks.  Looking at videos, lots of cars are getting to a top speed of 140-145mph range, but it is hard to know what kind of power they are making or what kind of aero they are running.

Fox body mustang making about 300hp at the wheels.  I don't know all the details of the gearing that it has now, but I know the 145mph range is about all it will do w/o over-reving the motor.

Hoping folks would comment about what they hit for speeds vrs what range of HP they are running.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, MMiskoe said:

Trying to sort out what gearing might be needed for Daytona, it is not like a lot of tracks.  Looking at videos, lots of cars are getting to a top speed of 140-145mph range, but it is hard to know what kind of power they are making or what kind of aero they are running.

Fox body mustang making about 300hp at the wheels.  I don't know all the details of the gearing that it has now, but I know the 145mph range is about all it will do w/o over-reving the motor.

Hoping folks would comment about what they hit for speeds vrs what range of HP they are running.

we haven't run there yet but we run an 88 Firebird with a slightly massaged 305, 300 at the wheels is a big motor for Chumps. I think some of the Gen IV F-body's were easily pushing 150+ if not more. At those speeds aero is important.  Lucky our car is very aerodynamic to begin with. You might need to re-gear the car for the track. If you are running a hatchback you might want to consider adding a rear Lexan window. I just ordered ours. 

16 hours ago, ross2004 said:

This has been dyno proven?

he claimed 300 at the rear wheels I should have used a period instead of a comma.  "Fox body mustang making about 300hp at the wheels."  

....we run an 88 Firebird with a slightly massaged 305. 300 at the wheels is a big motor for Chumps there fixed it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ross2004 said:

Ah, gotcha. 300 whp Fox body, you'll pass everything but the gas pumps.

yuuup. We have maybe 315 at the flywheel and we can typically go 1.5 hours, and that's at places like VIR and NJMP. I'm guessing at 'Tona It'll be an even shorter drive.

• Technical Advisory Committee

Maybe ???  That is a BIG if.

From driving the fastest car in the searies I will say I had a guy tell me after he calculated the top speed in his car that it was doing 165mph on the high banks. I lapped him twice in an hour so I guess it must have been real slow in the infield. Actually his math was way off as each time I went by it was on the big track. 

2 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

From driving the fastest car in the searies I will say I had a guy tell me after he calculated the top speed in his car that it was doing 165mph on the high banks. I lapped him twice in an hour so I guess it must have been real slow in the infield. Actually his math was way off as each time I went by it was on the big track. 

I think PintoDave might have some insight. His Gen IV F-body was pretty fast. 

5 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

I think PintoDave might have some insight. His Gen IV F-body was pretty fast. 

Yes Daves car is fast and a really nice build but still got left in the dust behind me in #187 and the #65.

4 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

what were those? The Blitz TransAm was fast too. 

Trans Am , LTD

Very -  we traded FTD at several events with them , about equal with who finished on top for the day.

Yes it did at the VIR 24 a couple years ago, in the lead at the time. Bonzi move did not work out when coming to the green after a full corse caution. The Trans Am I drive is a second gen ,Team Punisher. 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, Ray Franck said:

Yes it did at the VIR 24 a couple years ago, in the lead at the time. Bonzi move did not work out when coming to the green after a full corse caution. The Trans Am I drive is a second gen ,Team Punisher. 

cool we have a Gen III Formula 305 5 speed. our 1st got balled up at NJMP (RIP)  Gen II is a better platform.  

On 6/2/2020 at 10:31 AM, Ray Franck said:

On 6/2/2020 at 6:45 PM, Ray Franck said:

Yes Daves car is fast and a really nice build but still got left in the dust behind me in #187 and the #65.

What is the base VPI and fuel capacity of that super fast machine?  It must have been the drivers and not the car since it didn't get a VPI increase after that kind of performance or maybe you didn't manage to get half a lap on... a certain someone?

I would guess gearing it to do 155-160 mph depending how long you wanted to sit at the rev limit. There’s (2) 1 mile long straights that you hit at 50-70mph.

118-122 mph with 130-140 whp in a dodge neon. As much as +10 mph with a good draft and tailwind. Like when that storm front came through maybe 2017?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

I would guess gearing it to do 155-160 mph depending how long you wanted to sit at the rev limit. There’s (2) 1 mile long straights that you hit at 50-70mph.

118-122 mph with 130-140 whp in a dodge neon. As much as +10 mph with a good draft and tailwind. Like when that storm front came through maybe 2017?

This is what we are trying to figure out. We are running 3.45's so we might need to drop some gear...although it probably won't be as much of an issue since we have a 5 speed. I do know with 1 mile and a high entry speed we'll be out of motor before we run out of track...lol  

11 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

A turdgen 305 TPI would do 145 mph with 3.45 rear and .74 OD 5 spd with stock power 225-240 flywheel HP. Unless you have a lot of RPM, I would re-gear or bigger tires.

Our 305 has some work, nothing crazy. We run a ported 84 intake and we'll be using a 500cfm 2bbl or a stock quadrobog. We run 235/55/17's

I would be too embarrassed to answer that question as well for the fastest car in the series or maybe there is some hidden cast iron in the assessment somewhere.  Now back to my 5.0 Ford stock replacement because it is more fun than the secret rule book.

9 hours ago, Ron_e said:

I would be too embarrassed to answer that question as well for the fastest car in the series or maybe there is some hidden cast iron in the assessment somewhere.  Now back to my 5.0 Ford stock replacement because it is more fun than the secret rule book.

stock 5.0 Ford is a good motor. Lots of potential.