Jump to content

Any Saab teams looking for a 900 Turbo?


Recommended Posts

An elderly family friend died recently and I was asked to help sell one of her cars.  It's a '85 900 Turbo 16V manual 4 door with 115,000 miles.  It hasn't been started in a decade or more, but it is in great condition from what I can see.  The body has one small bit of surface rust on the front fender, but it's otherwise nice inside and out.  I didn't look underneath it.  She parked it when she got a new BMW many years ago and then she just kept getting new cars and never drove the Saab again.  It has been registered and insured the whole time and always garaged.  I thought briefly about buying it as a DD, but I have way too many projects already.  I'm sure the fuel system is a mess after that many years.  I don't know yet when it can be sold as the estate needs to value it first.  Her son thinks it will be in the $1000 - $1500 range at most.  I'd love to see it go to a race team rather than deal with random CL buyers.  I'm a Datsun expert, not a Saab guy, so I don't know much more than that about the car.  The car is located in Akron, Ohio.

IMG_1880[1].JPG

Edited by Jeff G 78
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jeff G 78 you should get in touch with rbankracing.com about the car as this is the same year we started with back in Lemons and the first years of Chump/Champ. Robin should be able to give you more details about it or another contact would be to see would be Tired Iron Repair (Saab specialist) in New York as they would easily be able to tell you what the car would be worth and what it would take to get it running right to sell or even drive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, gsmith2424 said:

@Jeff G 78 you should get in touch with rbankracing.com about the car as this is the same year we started with back in Lemons and the first years of Chump/Champ. Robin should be able to give you more details about it or another contact would be to see would be Tired Iron Repair (Saab specialist) in New York as they would easily be able to tell you what the car would be worth and what it would take to get it running right to sell or even drive.

Thanks!  Did you have the red one?  I remember a red one that raced a lot in the Ohio/Michigan area 8-10 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Thanks!  Did you have the red one?  I remember a red one that raced a lot in the Ohio/Michigan area 8-10 years ago.

 

We did have a red one (picture below) but got rid of that back around 2011 as it then went to another team but not sure if the one you are talking about is the same one or not. Like I said Robin or Tired Iron should be able to give you more information about that car.

 

saab-900-racing-1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, gsmith2424 said:

 

We did have a red one (picture below) but got rid of that back around 2011 as it then went to another team but not sure if the one you are talking about is the same one or not. Like I said Robin or Tired Iron should be able to give you more information about that car.

 

saab-900-racing-1.jpg

Yep, that's the 900 I was thinking of.  Not sure it was while you had it or after you sold it.  I worked a bunch of races on pit lane and talked to the team quite a bit at several races.  I recall working pit lane and talking to the team at MIS and GingerMan for sure.  I think there was also a black one that was at GingerMan as a two man team.  They had to borrow a pit neighbor to hold the fire bottle while they fueled the car.  I'll contact both Tired Iron and Robin as soon as I find out when the car can be sold.  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...