Utah July 25/26 - no longer on the schedule

veris

Utah no longer shows on the schedule. Has it been postponed or cancelled? 

Note: I noticed registration numbers were low, but hadn't register yet as the US/Canada border has been closed for months and may not reopen in time. Strange times...

• Administrators

sorry, I have been busy this morning....

Hello Utah Racers,

I regret to inform you that we have made the decision to cancel our Utah Motorsports Campus event for 2020.  The 2020 COVID shutdown has put an enormous amount of financial stress on businesses all across the country, and we’re no exception.  We normally operate a few events a year at a financial loss just to bring racing to an area with the hope that we can build a market up for future years, but we currently have no budget for intentional losses.  We had less than 10 cars entered at Utah after the payment deadline and with the cost of the UMC facility we would have needed more than 25.

I have refunded all of your payments via PayPal and deleted your entry to UMC.  I hope to see you all at other events in 2020.

Michael Chisek

CEO

8 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

sorry, I have been busy this morning....

Hello Utah Racers,

I regret to inform you that we have made the decision to cancel our Utah Motorsports Campus event for 2020.  The 2020 COVID shutdown has put an enormous amount of financial stress on businesses all across the country, and we’re no exception.  We normally operate a few events a year at a financial loss just to bring racing to an area with the hope that we can build a market up for future years, but we currently have no budget for intentional losses.  We had less than 10 cars entered at Utah after the payment deadline and with the cost of the UMC facility we would have needed more than 25.

I have refunded all of your payments via PayPal and deleted your entry to UMC.  I hope to see you all at other events in 2020.

Michael Chisek

CEO

Thanks Bill [& Michael].  Understandable. 

Please consider it or another another north central track like Brainerd or Denver next year. I have been planning on going since it was announced and firmed up my driver line up in mid March just as the border was closed.  

• Administrators
1 minute ago, veris said:

Thanks Bill [& Michael].  Understandable. 

Please consider it or another another north central track like Brainerd or Denver next year. I have been planning on going since it was announced and firmed up my driver line up in mid March just as the border was closed.  

FYI...

August 22-August 23, 2020
CALABOGIE MOTORSPORTS PARK: 8+7 Enduros, $1300
Calabogie, ON
"Perry Performance Competition Enduro at Calabogie"
Early Pay Discount Ends: June 23, 2020
Entrant List
Download Supplemental Rules and Event Info

Just now, Bill Strong said:

FYI...

August 22-August 23, 2020
CALABOGIE MOTORSPORTS PARK: 8+7 Enduros, $1300
Calabogie, ON
"Perry Performance Competition Enduro at Calabogie"
Early Pay Discount Ends: June 23, 2020
Entrant List
Download Supplemental Rules and Event Info

Thanks Bill.

I am considering both Calabogie and the postponed Mosport. No border issues, but they are both approximately a 30 hr tow each way. I'm just north of Montana & North Dakota border. 

I've now cancelled 4 endurance races due to COVID so I may even have the holiday time to make it work. 🤪

• Like 1

Utah Motorsports Campus is a great facility, and the Salt Lake City has great restaurants and hotels, and Utah offers lots of sports, recreation, and some of the most spectacular National Parks in the country that create "extended vacation opportunities".   Utah was hands down our most enjoyable, most fun event last year (even though our race results don't reflect that!!) and we were looking forward to going back. The (one day) tow home to Southern California only took 11 hours, so for us, it's really no different that going to Sonoma, Thunderhill, or Laguna Seca.

I hope 2021 allows us to put UMS back on the calendar. Or maybe Spring Mountain. 

• Like 4

On 6/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Utah Motorsports Campus is a great facility, and the Salt Lake City has great restaurants and hotels, and Utah offers lots of sports, recreation, and some of the most spectacular National Parks in the country that create "extended vacation opportunities".   Utah was hands down our most enjoyable, most fun event last year (even though our race results don't reflect that!!) and we were looking forward to going back. The (one day) tow home to Southern California only took 11 hours, so for us, it's really no different that going to Sonoma, Thunderhill, or Laguna Seca.

I hope 2021 allows us to put UMS back on the calendar. Or maybe Spring Mountain. 

Bruce, I agree with everything you said about UMC and the Utah parks etc.  I do wonder how the hell you managed an 11 hour tow!?!?!  I think we did it in 14-15 hours if I recall...  we did have a tow rig limitation tho so maybe thats part of it.

If I had to chose, I would take spring mountain over UMC.  Besides that its about 11 hours closer of a tow, no one else races at Spring Mountain and it would be a great way to attract more cars that usually dont race with Champ.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, Alchemy Autosport said:

Bruce, I agree with everything you said about UMC and the Utah parks etc.  I do wonder how the hell you managed an 11 hour tow!?!?!  I think we did it in 14-15 hours if I recall...  we did have a tow rig limitation tho so maybe thats part of it.

If I had to chose, I would take spring mountain over UMC.  Besides that its about 11 hours closer of a tow, no one else races at Spring Mountain and it would be a great way to attract more cars that usually dont race with Champ.

I bought 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel with Allison Transmission to tow with. It's magic.  And doesn't "sound like a diesel".  Never slows down.  10.5 to 11 mpg.  We took it to Kentucky and my guys blew out a tire on trailer "because if felt so good at 77 mph".  Ooops!  Now we have a "70 mph rule". 

Two years prior we towed to COTA with a gasoline engine 2016 Silverado that was fully decked out and had a trailer package....felt like it was uphill both ways, we got 6 mpg, and couldn't carry any speed.  

I'm sold on the diesel.

• Like 1