Official 2020 - The Bell Racing Sebring 14

Bill Strong

Do we have any sort of info on what the Friday practice session timing looks like? My team is trying to decide if we need to extend our hotel or just leave home a bit early Friday morning.  We're only a couple hours away and happy to save money on the hotel if we're not getting started a 7 am!

Thanks!

Edited by krispykritter

• ChampCar Staff
19 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Do we have any sort of info on what the Friday practice session timing looks like? My team is trying to decide if we need to extend our hotel or just leave home a bit early Friday morning.  We're only a couple hours away and happy to save money on the hotel if we're not getting started a 7 am!

Thanks!

Tentative right now, but it's looking like we'll run 45 minute sessions with 15 minute breaks on the hour. 9am to 12-noon probably point-by passing with passengers allowed, then 1pm to 5pm will be open passing with no passengers.

Hope that helps.

Dana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DuncanDana said:

Tentative right now, but it's looking like we'll run 45 minute sessions with 15 minute breaks on the hour. 9am to 12-noon probably point-by passing with passengers allowed, then 1pm to 5pm will be open passing with no passengers.

Hope that helps.

Dana

Definitely helps, thank you! So probably open gates between 7 and 8?

Supps updated, and the time line will be updated again within the next 24-hours. I am awaiting the test day info from Dana.
Super important COVID restrictions added. Parking info added. No parking on the grass behind the garages. Paddock limited to the back straight concrete sections. see the map.
Masks to be worn at all times when you are on the Sebring property. No EXCEPTIONS. The race will be stopped if people are caught not wearing their face coverings.
Balaclava, full face helmet with shield down, face masks, face shields do count as face coverings. 

https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/421.pdf

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

No parking on the grass behind the garages. Paddock limited to the back straight concrete sections. see the map.

wow this sucks.  i'm guessing the vendors are going to be setting up for the 12hr in that grass area.

• Like 1

So if Florida has a no mask mandate, but say a local place does, they can't at this point even fine you for not wearing one, so is this one of those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" type of things or what?  Asking in all seriousness because I have worn a mask probably less than 24 hours during this whole ordeal and to be honest with you (and most of that time was at Daytona and Palm Beach), it can be a struggle to remember to keep it up...  I even live in Florida and can't keep it straight...

12 minutes ago, Huggy said:

No kidding.  Yay for lots of walking....

It's about 110 yards from the checkered flag award area through the breezeway to the pit back to the concrete. Plus wherever you are on pit road and wherever the rig is parked. So could be a few hundred yards of walking each way. 
This will make me appreciate the small paddock at PBIR that much more, lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Justin9 said:

So if Florida has a no mask mandate, but say a local place does, they can't at this point even fine you for not wearing one, so is this one of those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" type of things or what?  Asking in all seriousness because I have worn a mask probably less than 24 hours during this whole ordeal and to be honest with you (and most of that time was at Daytona and Palm Beach), it can be a struggle to remember to keep it up...  I even live in Florida and can't keep it straight...

We had lawyers present during our meeting. They are not playing games. If 2 people are seen without their mask. They will black flag the race, and there will be a talk. Then when everyone is masked up, we will resume racing. 
2 minutes later, if someone is caught without a mask again, then the black flag all is shown and we repeat.
Some drift event had the same rules. They got black flagged a few times before they finally got it. I am pretty certain you guys are smarter than the average drifter.

As soon as you enter the facilities, wear a mask:

• Mask =
    • Helmet with face shield down
    • Balaclava
    • Face Shield (PPE style, grinding, etc)
    • Neck Gaiter
    • Bandana
    • Medical style face mask, cloth or paper

I know we have members that want to prove to the world they are bullet proof, or want to prove some political whatever. This is not the place. The event director will not play games. Teams spend a lot of money to attend these ChampCar events, and when track time is taken away, people tend to get really angry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Email sent from Dana Morrison today....

Sebring will be Different this Year...

Please Read On..

Ok, First I am resending much of this information for the teams who signed up after I sent the last email.

In the meantime, while you're considering that, let's talk about masks.

Simply stated, masks are mandatory anywhere on Sebring property at all times. No exceptions. That's paddock, garage, pit-lane, everywhere. You must where a mask face covering. And yes, your balaclava will work. Those are the rules we have to operate under, that's the deal, we are all this deep into the year of the Covid so let's just roll with it and go racing.

What happens if we don't? Well we, that's all of ChampCar, get two warnings, then they stop the race until we fix it. Let's please not have that happen.

Once more about the garages...

To comply with Social Distancing requirements, every other garage is going to be blocked off. So we have half the garages we thought we'd have.

So, if you rented a garage when you initially signed up you will have first dibs on one. If you emailed me recently about renting one I'll do what I can, but the bottom line is we only have half now. If you are a two-car team, I'm going to assign you one garage, I want to do everything I can to get teams into garages.

Paddock Parking: On to some new stuff. The other big endurance race (the one that's 2-hours shorter than ours, just sayin..) is the weekend right after us. So remember all that grass area in the Paddock? We cannot park on or use that grass area this year. The Sebring staff is going to be busy setting up stuff for the 12-hour there, so all the grass area is off limits.

The Paddock area for us will be the paved area south of the grass. There is a huge area out there, and bonus, it's solid! Additionally, to comply with Social Distancing, we need a minimum of 10-feet between each hauler in the paddock. There will be some areas at the far end sectioned off for 12-hour stuff, but there's still plenty of room. We will have people on site to help guide you, but bottom line is no parking, driving, nothing on the grass area.

Test and Practice session Friday: I told you I had some good news. We were able to rent the track on Friday. This means we will be able to run test and practice sessions on Friday. The cost will be $450 per car, and you can run as many drivers as you'd like. The schedule for the Practice day is in the Supps. If you want to participate you can email me and ChampCar will generate a separate Paypal invoice.

Some quick basics though, in the morning we will allow passengers provided the passenger has the same safety equipment as the driver. The morning sessions with passengers will be point-by passing only. In the afternoon we will allow open passing, but no passengers.

Also, remember you need to get your car through Tech and Registration so manage your day accordingly. Remember that Tech needs to see the car as it is presented to race.

And this is probably a good place to toss in some good-to-know stuff...

Memberships: Please take a few minutes and check the memberships for your drivers and crew. This is the #1 slow point at Registration. Having your memberships and your registration fees fully paid when you arrive will make the process go much smoother.

This is still the year of the Covid and we want to minimize any places where people have to gather. Eliminating lines at Registration will help that, so please take a few minutes and get your payments completed.

The Driver's Meeting video will be sent out closer to the race, but if you are a new driver with ChampCar, or you and your team just want a refresher on things, please take some time and watch the New to ChampCar video here.

Campers, pay attention, remember this from last year. Sebring is charging $20 for overnight camping in the paddock and for trailer access. Campers, motor-homes, RV units, haulers with living areas, even hard sided trailers with A/C units will be changed $20 at the security shack when they enter the paddock. Basically if you can sleep in it for the night they are going to charge you. Additionally, be prepared to also pay the $20 fee for any trailers entering the paddock.

Waivers: For the Sebring event we are required to sign the waivers in person at the gate. So plan accordingly when you arrive.

If you want to print out the Supplemental Rules for this event they are here.

If you have Registration questions please email Laura here.

If you have any questions about the Sebring 14 please email me here.

See you soon in the Sunshine State!

The ChampCar Staff  

11 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I know we have members that want to prove to the world they are bullet proof, or want to prove some political whatever. This is not the place. The event director will not play games. Teams spend a lot of money to attend these ChampCar events, and when track time is taken away, people tend to get really angry. 

Not taking this at being pointed at me, so I’m cool with whatever, and not a politics thing, I certain don’t want that to start ruining racing anyways.

I’m just fortunate enough to be in position where I just simply didn’t need/have to have one, and I generally don’t go to places where I’m hanging in a crowd.  Can’t tell you the last time I was in a Walmart now.  

I was really just curious if the State’s recent decisions changed anything for us, since it seems most places where I am for the lack of a better explanation “are not enforcing masks policies”.

3 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

Not taking this at being pointed at me, so I’m cool with whatever, and not a politics thing, I certain don’t want that to start ruining racing anyways.

I’m just fortunate enough to be in position where I just simply didn’t need/have to have one, and I generally don’t go to places where I’m hanging in a crowd.  Can’t tell you the last time I was in a Walmart now.  

I was really just curious if the State’s recent decisions changed anything for us, since it seems most places where I am for the lack of a better explanation “are not enforcing masks policies”.

We just went fishing out of PCB. It seems like about 10% of the people in the panhandle are wearing masks. I honestly felt like the outlier. The guys I was with (ex-military buddies and another friend) were all mask-free all weekend...at breakfast, at Schooner's, at the store...pretty much everywhere. And nobody in the hotel was wearing masks except at the front desk. Was as pretty different climate than most of central Florida. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin9 said:

It has nothing to do with the state. 

It is Sebring International Raceways rule. If we want to race there, we have to abide by the rules.

20 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

You were feet from my mom and dad's beach place in PCB if you ate there....

Yeah, both nights we mostly drank there but ate too. They roll up the streets in PCB around 10 pm. 

NASCAR has the lease on the track, it's their sandbox for now and their rules. If you've been privy enough to see the new rules for camping, parking, and ticketing for the 12 hour race--you'll know that the track manager could have been a great good idea LT in the military. 

And coming from California this won't be much of a change with the masks. If you go outside without a mask on, you'll be shamed, some cities will even try to cite you with their "environmental health & safety" cronies. Maybe Champcar could reach out to Manhattan Beach, CA for ideas on enforcement. 

Edited by dirtybird222

It’s interesting that the following weekend for The IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring race, there’s No rules of stopping  the race when someone is spotted not wearing a mask🤔

I guess this 🦠 virus is very selective with who it decides to infect🙄

• Like 2

I have seen the imsa covid rules. 

Because those guys are getting money to race, it's an easy way to get fired from your job. Not so much with you guys ..

As one of the imsa team principals told me, they have to give their left and right nut when they sign up for a race. If they get caught without a mask, it cost them $$$$$$.