What actually defines a 'special model'?

Topic for discussion:

In subjective/quantitative terms, what makes a variant a 'special model' denoted by #3 on the VPI list:

"Note #3 - All models must be standard factory offerrings. Special, custom or limited editions are not included in this VPI table."

-What constitutes a 'standard factory offering'?
-What is the production number that makes something limited?

It is relative to the vehicle that tech / board / etc. had in mind when they assigned the value. If they were thinking of model trim A, and have it XYZ points, and model trim B also exists and it is “sufficiently faster than ‘A’ such that XYZ does not accurately value it” then model trim B is a special model. 

So basically tech would need to state for each model line in the table what trim they had in mind and then you can tell on a case by case basis. The good news is that there aren’t many of these examples left that haven’t been shifted to their own lines, and the ones still out there are often obvious.

Edited by enginerd

Like a standard 5th generation Camaro SS, not the best track car, but put the 1LE package on there with the better shocks, 285's all the way around, special transmission gearing, different fuel pickups in the tank and a 3:91 rear end, that car gets around the track much better but has the same engine as a standard SS.  

Welp, in the cobra vs standard gt;

Smaller production number of model.

More horsepower than the standard model.

Different front facia than standard model.

Better brakes than standard model.

Better suspension than standard model.

Edited by MoparBoyy

15 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

Not quite what he was asking about because the cobra (a special model) has been moved to its own line in the VPI table, making it the ‘standard model’ in the “Ford Mustang Cobra” line.

A good example would be the Cobra-R, which has some goodies that make it ‘definitely a few points better’ than the ‘base cobra’.

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Not quite what he was asking about because the cobra (a special model) has been moved to its own line in the VPI table, making it the ‘standard model’ in the “Ford Mustang Cobra” line.

A good example would be the Cobra-R, which has some goodies that make it ‘definitely a few points better’ than the ‘base cobra’.

Right. But it wasn't when it came to the series. Mike told us it 'look at note 3' then we were given a new vpi. We were told it was a special model.  It was a year later they added it to the list because there was also other Cobra in the series as well. 

50 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

What about something labeled SE - “special edition”

It depends, is a SE the model with leather/sunroof or a addtl camshafts and aimed at the performance market?

End of the day, it doesn't matter what we all think, a direct question to tech is in order.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

you even posted in a thread talking about how our car was not on the VPI list. ;)

48 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

you even posted in a thread talking about how our car was not on the VPI list. ;)

And? I was curious what the value was.

49 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

It depends, is a SE the model with leather/sunroof or a addtl camshafts and aimed at the performance market?

End of the day, it doesn't matter what we all think, a direct question to tech is in order.

Apparently moparboyeee already knows.

Care to share?

Edited by Slugworks Paul

2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

What is 'a standard model' - single line items in the VPI list can encompass trims of varying levels on all the things you mentioned.

Still not clear to me.

So, who from Florida was too afraid to race your car straight up and possibly get spanked in the big race in their own back yard.....if I had to guess, they also run a "special model" 

I will freely admit, I thought the 2006 SER value should have been higher, but that change should have happened at the end of last year, not now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

So, who from Florida was too afraid to race your car straight up and possibly get spanked in the big race in their own back yard.....if I had to guess, they also run a "special model" 

I will freely admit, I thought the 2006 SER value should have been higher, but that change should have happened at the end of last year, not now.

lol. That's funny.  So what exactly did we do?  Last I checked, none of us are on the board or TAC. 

What was the SE-R value? I've never seen it on the VPI list.

7 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

lol. That's funny.  So what exactly did we do?  Last I checked, none of us are on the board or TAC. 

What was the SE-R value? I've never seen it on the VPI list.

I see altima V6.....is the SE-R not an altima with a V6?  Thank you for clarifying you did it.....hope your race goes well.

..edit, have since looked back....odd no red text that this was a recent change.....

I've got a few hours tonight, since the process can be completed pretty quick, how does a cobra compare to say a sc300 or e36 in stock form???

Edited by hotchkis23
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

I see altima V6.....is the SE-R not an altima with a V6?  Thank you for clarifying you did it.....hope your race goes well.

The se-r has more power, better suspension and more gears iirc...

6 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

I did what?  I have zero power of authority here. Please explain what I did.

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

The se-r has more power, better suspension and more gears iirc...

6 speed trans, the rest would fall under "free parts".....i am just against a change happening a few days before an event for a car that ran a full series.  if you go back through posts I stated I thought it shought be a 500+ car

I think a special model is something that has more performance than the model in question.

Cobra versus gt.

V6 versus se-r

Mazda gtus versus gxl.

Focus svo versus base focus. 

Civic si versus standard.

So basically any car that has more performance "out of the box" versus the line in the vpi.

1 minute ago, hotchkis23 said:

6 speed trans, the rest would fall under "free parts".....i am just against a change happening a few days before an event for a car that ran a full series.  if you go back through posts I stated I thought it shought be a 500+ car

Wait, what happened?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

I did what?  I have zero power of authority here. Please explain what I did.

you insinuated that you filed a protest to the vpi, within your rights, the change was then made before a race in which you have a lot of interest in winning as you tout to rent the track out and race your vipers at, so can be seen as self serving.  I don't really care about much o that that, but do care about the idea of the series changing VPIs the week before an event...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hotchkis23 said:

you insinuated that you filed a protest to the vpi, within your rights, the change was then made before a race in which you have a lot of interest in winning as you tout to rent the track out and race your vipers at, so can be seen as self serving.  I don't really care about much o that that, but do care about the idea of the series changing VPIs the week before an event...

I thought there were a few times a year that vpi can change.  I also thought this was scheduled for certain times.

Did this just happen to 1 car right outta the blue?

Deets please!

• Like 1