2020 Daytona race results, photos, and more

Post race thread

Race results

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1778324

Event photos

Daytona photos from Fastcarphotos.com

Many of your racers may wish to purchase downloadable files of their race cars at a very modest price.  If there is a mechanism to spread the word to them, please, do so.  Directly from the website, they can share the photos to their Facebook or Twitter feeds.  

https://www.fastcarphotos.com/galleries/2020-champcar-daytona-independence-14-hour/

Screenshot_20200706-193954_Chrome.jpg

More pictures

Images from the race from MotorSportMedia. Still time to order photo packages! Chris shot most of the cars the entire race.

Order Here - http://www.msmtrackdays.com/new-products/photo-package-cces-daytona-july2020

If you pre-ordered he is working on them now and he told me they should all be done late tonight and I'll deliver by tomorrow night!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a buddy bring his nice camera out while he helped crew for us and he grabbed a bunch of shots of cars crossing the start/finish line.  I believe he's going to post up a link to the photos shortly.

#80 John Allen Special MIni Cooper S Daytona Race Recap AKA "The One That Got Away"   Post Road Atlanta we learned we had an engine problem. The car was a salvage title with no known histor

I followed the Crowd Control Mustang into the bus stop one time at the end and can honestly say my balls are not that big as deep as he drove in.  Congrats to that driver.  

Posted Images

Huge thanks to the broadcast team, and everyone who made this event possible, I had it on in the background most of the day.  What a great race.  Congrats to the winners.

Devil's advocate when do we talk about bumping the points on the SC300, Cobra, and V6 Altima, since they finished nearly 10 laps ahead of the rest of the field, and some or all were in fuel save mode.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Huge thanks to the broadcast team, and everyone who made this event possible, I had it on in the background most of the day.  What a great race.  Congrats to the winners.

Devil's advocate when do we talk about bumping the points on the SC300, Cobra, and V6 Altima, since they finished nearly 10 laps ahead of the rest of the field, and some or all were in fuel save mode.......

Not that I don't think all 3 of those should have a bump in points, but there was a lot of attrition with some of the big names. RBank, Team Infiniti,  Tuttle. They would have been behind, but not 10 laps.

3 minutes ago, jakks said:

Not that I don't think all 3 of those should have a bump in points, but there was a lot of attrition with some of the big names. RBank, Team Infiniti,  Tuttle. They would have been behind, but not 10 laps.

While I agree, it's not just pure speed that makes a platform great, this is endurance racing.  All three have proven they can run 8, 12, 14 hour races like a sprint.  That reliability, paired with the speed they've shown may be a bellwether for where the series is headed if speed isn't kept in check.

I'm no expert, but I was a bit unsettled by the pace some cars had vs the vast majority of the field.

• Like 2

I followed the Crowd Control Mustang into the bus stop one time at the end and can honestly say my balls are not that big as deep as he drove in.  Congrats to that driver.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

I told you those LED sticks were going to slow you down 🤣🤣

(congrats on a solid run)

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

We go hard :)

107104261_3287047764693505_5301818049067706325_n.jpg

• Like 7

Had a buddy bring his nice camera out while he helped crew for us and he grabbed a bunch of shots of cars crossing the start/finish line.  I believe he's going to post up a link to the photos shortly.  Here's a few:

Crowd control flying by early in the morning @MoparBoyy

KUAC1jL.jpg

After mowing the lawn:

S7qbXKI.jpg

Some dampness:

FHULw3i.jpg

I believe this is Clear Motorwerx being passed by Crowd control

XUw3qbL.jpg

@Team Infiniti

aLbpe6C.jpg

R0zswye.jpg

@macheesy I think this is yall?

gyokhiJ.jpg

@lizzard

4VD7gFc.jpg

Screen cap from my 'holy poop' moment:

8OQbWSV.png

EDIT:  My buddy posted up his photos in this thread: 

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

#80 John Allen Special MIni Cooper S Daytona Race Recap AKA "The One That Got Away"

Post Road Atlanta we learned we had an engine problem. The car was a salvage title with no known history but did survive our testing/tuning. Unfortunately it let go during the night shortly before the early checkered. We fixed, changed some stuff and did a LOT more testing.

We unloaded ready to race minus prepping for potential rain. Rain-X, cleaned up all the glass and some other odds and ends. We also learned that while sitting in our garage waiting to load up for 2 weeks our radio harness decided it was done working. Spent some time getting that fixed up and since the IMSA race start was delayed we headed out to dinner. Our driving roster for this race was Myself, Justin Lipson, Rich Sainato, Gino Manley and Robby Foley who we borrowed from Turner Motorsport. He was in town racing on Saturday and stayed an extra day to come have some fun.

We decided last minute, like sub 3min before roll off from grid, to change up our driving order so Gino started. We moved up rapidly and he only reported good things from the Mini. Awesome results since we fought an oil leak with our last our cooler setup and from our last test day it was showing more signs of being good to go! We ended up starting around 90th and unknown in class. We pitted, slightly late, from ~15th overall and 1st in class. When I say we pitted we miscalculated the range a bit and Gino coasted from the bus stop to pit in and we pushed the car back the rest of the way... Oops.

Robby jumped in with our new knowledge of fuel range(We seriously need a fuel cell) and we continued to move forward. Pushing our Class lead out and did maintenance on our overall position. We rotated the rest of our drivers through until Justin had the pleasure of the rain, stop, sun, go, stop, go, no way stop. We decided based on our last stop to install Robby again since it appeared it would restart under rain with heavier rain to come. That was a good plan as we had the pleasure of him running great in the wet including some great footage on ChampCar live. Little Mini Cooper passing the Cobra. Unfortunately for us we got in trouble for passing under yellow after T6 but before the Bus Stop. Live and learn. We instantly came in and took our penalty and Robby went back out.

We installed Gino and he made it ~1 hour into his stint and we had just gone over the current situation with him. Coming up on 3 hours to go. You have ~30min left in the car. We are P12 overall and P1 in class by 10 laps. Let's back it down a few seconds and maintain. Within 5min we get the dreaded "We either have an engine or power problem". He coasts back to pit-in. We get there and pop the hood... electronic burning smell. Let's just try to start it again. More bad electronic burning smell and some white smoke. Terminal. Race 2 of the new build and we are overall happy with the results and what we did. Not we can dig in and see if we know of another weak point. Address it. And move forward. Everyone had a blast driving and we got some yummy seafood.

Until next time! Everyone enjoy the hot summer races!

50086912991_3302a3909c_b.jpg_CGP8472 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

50086914981_019540eb05_b.jpgDSC_6734 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

Edited by dinanm3atl
  • Like 10
13 hours ago, pintodave said:

I told you those LED sticks were going to slow you down 🤣🤣

(congrats on a solid run)

Thank God for that then...  I'm not joking, I was squirreling around braking at the 2 mark and that car was like at the 1.25 mark when the lights came on....   I'm not sure if my tires were hot and greasy, first time running RS4, tire psi and internal temps weren't too bad, but I'm not sure they are the tires for us, we will give them one more test before going one way or another.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jakks said:

This^^^. The Ford just got beat on speed by a Miata at COTA. Might have happened both days if the same Miata started Sunday without penalty. Let’s race. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

10 ish psi difference in what you know vs what you ran, drop cold to like 25psi

We re-adjusted the psi a couple of times...  Our tire choice/wheel width also controls how much abuse I can let the sidewall and the shoulder of the tire take without causing excessive wear.  It may just be I built our car to drive to what we are comfortable with and we just haven't hit the right spot with this rubber yet.  I'll try them again at Sebring, should be cooler there and we can see.

17 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I don't think Daytona is a good barometer for deciding points increases. It is literally the extreme end of average speed for Champcar tracks.

Also, no mention of the car that lead nearly half the race before it retired?

Some other notes: 

1. Attrition rate was really high

2. The rain was beneficial to the car that won

3. I would be very impressed to see any Champcar go 10/10ths or even 9/10ths for 14 hours straight around Daytona and hold together thanks to Champcars stance on reliability items.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scribe said:

9/10ths

If it wasn’t for a fuel pump failure we were alternating between 8/10 and 10/10 depending upon the driver. That would’ve probably been being good for a fifth place with us.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, frankrehnelt said:

This^^^. The Ford just got beat on speed by a Miata at COTA. Might have happened both days if the same Miata started Sunday without penalty. Let’s race. 

What do you mean by "beat on speed"?

Let's not discount the driver abilities and large amount of seat time that Miata team has at COTA.  How much seat time does the Ford Cobra team have at COTA?  I also seem to recall the Ford's fastest lap on Sunday was faster than the Miata both days.

ETA:  Both the Miata and Ford teams were well run fast teams.  I was happy to share the track with them that weekend!

Edited by QuaTTro
  • Like 2

Well, everyone already knows the part that went badly for us during this year's daytona, so I'll mostly skip that.

We spent a crapload of time prepping for Daytona, in part thanks to the covid delay.  We rebuilt two sets of aftermarket and one set of OEM cv axles; new LED headlights in the OEM housing; second set of brake ducts; new slotted rotors; air diverters on control arms; rewired both fuel pumps with new hoses; new fuel cell cage mounted farther forward and lower; new rear windshield; splitter repairs and updating; lots of metal removal and trimming.  We spent a ton of time on the car, and were super excited about getting back on track as our last race was Sebring back in September.

The mess occurred right arount 45-55 minutes into the race while I was driving.  After plowing a long furrow in the infield, I limped back to the garages and we set about rectifying the damages - off came the splitter (which was full of ants/grubs/beetles/crickets) and sorting out the bent control arm.  In a sad oversight, we didn't have a backup extended control arm, so we hemmed and hawed a bit before deciding to run an OE length one on just one side of the car, which made the control arm on the passenger side roughly 1 inch shorter than the driver's side.

We got back on track about 2.5 hours after our shunt and then just basically ran our driver rotation for the rest of the day.  The only other issue we had all day long was one of our shifter cables rattle free of it's mount, which took me about ten very warm minutes under the car to sort out.  Everyone on the team got two stints except for Sean, who kept radioing back 'one more lap' until we had to drag him out of the car at one hour and fifty eight minutes!

Some good things that came out of this year's Daytona:

• Found that the splitter was worth around 2 seconds/lap between my first stint with it and my second stint without it.  Good to finally have some data on it's effectiveness.
  • Both the rebuilt OE and rebuilt aftermarket axles survived the whole race
  • New LED headlights are awesomesauce
  • Got a ton of experience in rainy/wet track conditions
  • The contour only had one extremely minor issue not related to our off-track excursion - all the hard work to get it ready seems to have paid off

Some not so good things that came out of this year's Daytona:

• Not sure if the axles not failing was because we just weren't going long enough to overheat them or if we solved our issues by rebuilding/regreasing
  • Dunno if the axles/brakes staying cool was because of the extra brake ducts or because the splitter got wrecked
  • Dunno if the axles/brakes staying cool was because they just had enough road spray/puddles/rain to keep them cool
  • The high static camber on our car makes for excellent cornering in dry or wet, but really terrible braking in the wet
  • Removing the light bar on the hood and the high mount brake light on the trunk didn't improve our top speed much/at all

Very much looking forward to our next race, but still pretty uncertain about whether that'll be PBIR or Sebring.  If we decide to skip PBIR, I will at least volunteer that weekend, so we'll see some of you then!  Also, thanks for all the support - by and large Champcar is filled with really good folks having a really great time.

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

What do you mean by "beat on speed"?

The Miata passed the Ford for the lead on the track close to the end on Saturday. I was there staring at timing and scoring and my team had a front row seat watching it. That’s what I mean. All the other stuff (car prep, seat time blah blah) is a variable you can apply to any team any car. The Miata.....a Miata can beat the Ford a Ford in a heads up fight. Now I’m going to work on my car to make it faster. 

3 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

The Miata passed the Ford for the lead on the track close to the end on Saturday. I was there staring at timing and scoring and my team had a front row seat watching it. That’s what I mean. All the other stuff (car prep, seat time blah blah) is a variable you can apply to any team any car. The Miata.....a Miata can beat the Ford a Ford in a heads up fight. Now I’m going to work on my car to make it faster. 

Was the Ford starved for fuel?  I mean were they  trying to stretch it or were they truely flat out?

Lap times and range earlier in the day says both were flat out. Ford did 33 laps it’s first stint, no yellows. Last stint to checkers was 25 laps no yellow. No need to save fuel. Also the fast laps at COTA were screwed up because the timing line for pit in. Everyone’s fast lap was on their in lap. 

Edited by frankrehnelt
12 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

The Miata.....a Miata can beat the Ford a Ford in a heads up fight. 

Not exactly sure why this is surprising to you.  This is not a drag race down a straight 1/4 mile track from a standing start.  

The Miata team's fastest driver was in the car at the end of Saturday.  He knows COTA very well, and it's very common to pass a "more powerful" car if you have a better corner exit, faster lines and better traffic mgmt.  There's lots of other factors at play near the end of the race including driver fatigue, tire condition, etc.

There is nothing "heads up" in a road race.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

Not exactly sure why this is surprising to you.  This is not a drag race down a straight 1/4 mile track from a standing start.  

The Miata team's fastest driver was in the car at the end of Saturday.  He knows COTA very well, and it's very common to pass a "more powerful" car if you have a better corner exit, faster lines and better traffic mgmt.  There's lots of other factors at play near the end of the race including driver fatigue, tire condition, etc.

There is nothing "heads up" in a road race.

Surprised? I was responding to a raise the value on the Ford, Altima and.... whatever post. Try and race a car that has a close lap time or a little faster lap time to a car with a 10 mph advantage down the straight. Once the hp car gets by or you catch a hp car it’s almost impossible to get by it without “doing something stupid” (inside joke). My point was no reason to up the value of the Ford because a slow 150 point hairdresser car CAN be faster. Again, it does not matter what driver, what car prep, what car, how good looking the driver is.......any car can win if you have all the right tools. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1