2020 Daytona race results, photos, and more

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a buddy bring his nice camera out while he helped crew for us and he grabbed a bunch of shots of cars crossing the start/finish line.  I believe he's going to post up a link to the photos shortly.

#80 John Allen Special MIni Cooper S Daytona Race Recap AKA "The One That Got Away"   Post Road Atlanta we learned we had an engine problem. The car was a salvage title with no known histor

I followed the Crowd Control Mustang into the bus stop one time at the end and can honestly say my balls are not that big as deep as he drove in.  Congrats to that driver.  

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

Surprised? I was responding to a raise the value on the Ford, Altima and.... whatever post. Try and race a car that has a close lap time or a little faster lap time to a car with a 10 mph advantage down the straight. Once the hp car gets by or you catch a hp car it’s almost impossible to get by it without “doing something stupid” (inside joke). My point was no reason to up the value of the Ford because a slow 150 point hairdresser car CAN be faster. Again, it does not matter what driver, what car prep, what car, how good looking the driver is.......any car can win if you have all the right tools. 

Didn't the Altima start 2 laps down? Seems like I saw that on the live chat...and it slowed significantly on the last lap or two. It had covered the 2 laps by the time the rains came and could then just pace the next fastest car as there wasn't anything within striking distance that could go 2 hours. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Didn't the Altima start 2 laps down? Seems like I saw that on the live chat...and it slowed significantly on the last lap or two. It had covered the 2 laps by the time the rains came and could then just pace the next fastest car as there wasn't anything within striking distance that could go 2 hours. 

Think it was one. Definitely might have made a mistake on value on that one but.....I think we spend too much time worried about what other teams are doing and not optimizing our own stuff. It seems too many are blaming everything else for them not being Lewis Hamilton fast and aren’t as fast a Mercedes F1 car. My mentor when I was an athlete once told me when I was bitching about this or that said,  “there will always be someone with more money than you, faster than you and have a bigger #$@* than you, worry about what you got, go to work”. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

Think it was one. Definitely might have made a mistake on value on that one but.....I think we spend too much time worried about what other teams are doing and not optimizing our own stuff. It seems too many are blaming everything else for them not being Lewis Hamilton fast and aren’t as fast a Mercedes F1 car. My mentor when I was an athlete once told me when I was bitching about this or that said,  “there will always be someone with more money than you, faster than you and have a bigger #$@* than you, worry about what you got, go to work”. 

No doubt. I was monitoring the live feed off and on all day while working on my car. Probably have over 30 hours in it Friday-Sunday getting it ready for Charlotte. No July 4th celebration for me. I think Crowd Control really put up a good fight, but it must have been disheartening knowing a car could go 2 hours at the same pace they could go 1.5 hours and seemed to not have the reliability issues that plagued some of the other top 5 lap time cars. 

Edited by XelderX
  • Like 2

Still have to finish. The Mitu and Vette were also fast but.....boom. KSR was off their game. I love seeing the fast Riley cars. Might be a little unfair but hey.......we get to race those guys and if we have our crap sorted we can beat them. Good stuff. 

Edited by frankrehnelt
  • Like 3

So apparently my live stream went to the wrong Youtube channel, so Bill if you tried to get to our link, sorry, it was on my regular account somehow and not the Speedway Creations channel.  Camera stopped at about the 10 hour mark, and I can only guess the memory card filled up.  Have to pull it out when I'm not tired and see what happened.  Everything was still powered up at the end of the race and the camera was still in streaming mode.  I ordered a 128 gb card but it was lost in shipping so I just rolled with what I had on hand.

https://youtu.be/XkgnOgHqF18

14 hours ago, frankrehnelt said:

It is when there is :30 to go and the top three is separated by 10 seconds. Sorry, you are wrong. Play the cards you are dealt and let’s race. 

Does anyone remember when there use to be like 8 BMWs in the top 10 of every race?  Yeah, let's just take a step back and let the points system play itself out.  Always seem like after one or two races there are calls for things to be re-done.  There seem to be a lot of Miatas these days that aren't Mazda powered anymore and can haul the mail, so I think if everyone would take a breath it will work itself out and then will see if those unicorns can figure it out.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, XelderX said:

No doubt. I was monitoring the live feed off and on all day while working on my car. Probably have over 30 hours in it Friday-Sunday getting it ready for Charlotte. No July 4th celebration for me. I think Crowd Control really put up a good fight, but it must have been disheartening knowing a car could go 2 hours at the same pace they could go 1.5 hours and seemed to not have the reliability issues that plagued some of the other top 5 lap time cars. 

Is Chisek supposed to wrap predicted reliability into a VPI too, now?
🤣😂😂😂🤣

Edited by Slugworks Paul

Having never been to Daytona before I'm curious if 30 minute shutdowns are common when the sky is pretty clearly blue?  Also curious if 26 minutes is too slow to get people cleared out, how does the track deal with it when there are 100k people in the stands?  I have to believe they play under a different set of rules for big races than we're being asked to do.  If so, how does Champcar get to have the same treatment?

I understand that at times getting corner workers off of towers and away from a ribbon of grounded guardrail is important.  But allowing some common sense about when that needs to happen could be implemented.  I've run races that got red-flagged while they got the flaggers in, but drivers were allowed to stay in their cars on pit lane and crew's in their pit stall to speed the re-start process.  Allowing the decisions to be made by someone far away and un-involved rarely produces a plan that works well.

It did seem that the Covid-Precautions worked.  Getting in and out of the track was pretty easy.  People were good about masks and when they weren't nobody acted like a jack-ass about it.

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Is Chisek supposed to wrap predicted reliability into a VPI too, now?
🤣😂😂😂🤣

I think we all agree that there are some messed up things going on in VPI that have nothing to do with reliability. 

34 minutes ago, XelderX said:

I think we all agree that there are some messed up things going on in VPI that have nothing to do with reliability. 

Meh. I'm with frank, I just play the hand i'm dealt, make myself a better racer or make my car better, and go try again.

I failed pretty miserably for about 6 years before I ever made a podium.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to publicly apologize to Phillipe and the Jacky Ickx team for ruining part of their weekend.  As we approached the Bus Stop, I was the 3rd car in the chain of the cars that was pretty evenly matched made up of Floridiots 944, Jacky Ickx 935, and I.  We came into the braking zone and I slowed early to gap them with the intention of getting out faster and perhaps either pass them or at least draft them around 3 and 4. What I didn't plan properly, was coming up on MUCH slower traffic in the middle of the section. I couldn't slow the car because I would swapped ends and  have collected both of them, for sure. So I kept my foot in it and tried to pull to drivers right of the other, now, 3 cars. My right side tires touched the grass and the car washed out left.  100% my fault.  Sorry Boys, It won't happen again. Steve

Edited by BigStig
added facts
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Castrol Prefect SC300 came in to Daytona after struggling with overheating issues in Atlanta (in the snow) so with the cooling system issues hopefully sorted, what better place to test it.

Here were some of our shenanigans:
Many have seen the multicar first stint incident in Nascar 3

Wouldn't be a race unless some of us did the yardwork.

And we even had a run in with the Six Pack Racing Integra. By the rules, it's our fault so sorry to those guys (@reyno010) if it caused you any trouble.  Felt pretty minimal and I don't want to get into a discussion about fault, we'll take it and apologize.

One of our wheels bent a bit with the contact so instead of testing it, we replaced the rears and let loose for the final stint where we set our fastest time.

Overall awesome race with Justin, Maciej and Dhruv driving and Rushi and Doug in the pits. Third place and bringing home some hardware is always fun.  Shoutout to the corner workers... we ran close to the front all race and saw lots of blue flags displayed.. they were really on top of it.  It was fun racing with all of you and we'll be back at VIR giving it another go.

• Like 6

I want to say ,that rear facing cameras are the heat....way more comfortable to use than a quick mirror scan...and whoever was driving the silver miata number 57 or 56 in the rain , did a masterful job of passing me in what I think was turn 2 , when I had zero turn in apparently ...

43 minutes ago, Prefect Racing said:

Castrol Prefect SC300 came in to Daytona after struggling with overheating issues in Atlanta (in the snow) so with the cooling system issues hopefully sorted, what better place to test it.

Here were some of our shenanigans:
Many have seen the multicar first stint incident in Nascar 3

Wouldn't be a race unless some of us did the yardwork.

And we even had a run in with the Six Pack Racing Integra. By the rules, it's our fault so sorry to those guys (@reyno010) if it caused you any trouble.  Felt pretty minimal and I don't want to get into a discussion about fault, we'll take it and apologize.

One of our wheels bent a bit with the contact so instead of testing it, we replaced the rears and let loose for the final stint where we set our fastest time.

Overall awesome race with Justin, Maciej and Dhruv driving and Rushi and Doug in the pits. Third place and bringing home some hardware is always fun.  Shoutout to the corner workers... we ran close to the front all race and saw lots of blue flags displayed.. they were really on top of it.  It was fun racing with all of you and we'll be back at VIR giving it another go.

Some nice videos. That puddle wide coming out of the bus stop was ominous. A few times I poked the nose around a slower car coming out to get a peek to see if it was still there then ducked back. 

And the video of the MCM car coming down into the Infinite Loop Contour makes it very clear that was a deliberate contact. Thankfully we won't have to deal with that team ever again. 

Always good racing with you guys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Crowd Control Racing had a pretty solid weekend along with our rental, the Inactiv Motorsports 626. 

We've raced in rain or snow for four of the last six races and were hoping against all odds for a dry 14-hours, but knew that wouldn't happen in Florida in July. We're comfortable in the rain, but a D-class, V8 RWD car isn't really a great choice on a slick track. Still, we had a good race with no on-track incidents and we made a couple of good strategy calls helping us bring home a P2 and D-class win. Our renters brought the 626 in for a B-class win, sticking with it and racing from start to finish. 

We're taking a couple of months off now and will be back for 3 races (2 doubles) this fall. 

vFJ40D.jpg

xDh7KU.jpg

DysyvJ.jpg

4EU1uz.jpg

• Like 5